User Info Menu

I have a bunch of sets of Waverly tuners, if any of you want them. I'll post them over in the for sale section, but figured that this is a good spot to let you know about them. I needed a few sets and, er, ah, went a bit overboard. They include:
    - Nickel, butterbean buttons
    - Gold, butterbean buttons
    - Nickel, oval buttons

- Nickel, ebony buttons
    - Nickel, snakewood buttons
    - Gold, snakewood buttons

I'll update the list whenever a style gets sold out.

For those who doen't yet know, these are great for restoring old Gibson/Epiphone/D'A archtops, Martin flattops - unlike Gotohs or Grover 18:1 open-back styles, they are perfect drop-in replacement with correctly-spaced screwholes. And they are great for classing up any other guitars, new or old.

Come to think of it, I also have two new sets of Gotoh open-back tuners in chrome, w/butterbean buttons.

Instead of a 1,000 words:
    Last edited by Hammertone; 05-26-2019 at 03:13 AM.
    "Somebody get me out of this chair." - BOB WILLS
    Hammertone is a registered Hofnerologist.

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

What is the spacing for the mounting holes? There seems to be two standard sizes. I need ~23mm for a NY-made Epi, but all I've seen are 25+mm.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by sgosnell View Post
    What is the spacing for the mounting holes? There seems to be two standard sizes. I need ~23mm for a NY-made Epi, but all I've seen are 25+mm.
    All I know is that they are a perfect retrofit for old Grovers, with no need to fill/redrill the screwholes or replace the original bushings. I found this on the Stew-Mac site, along with the Gotoh drawing:
    Attached Images Attached Images Waverly Tuners-waverly_guitar_tuners_with_butterbean_knobs_for_solid_pegheads-jpg-gif Waverly Tuners-gotoh-sxb-510-jpg 

User Info Menu

Yeah, I've seen lots of spec diagrams, mostly the 1"/25mm. I think maybe the Gotohs will work. I measure about 23mm for the Grovers on my Epi, exactly the same as my newer Epi 175, but it's hard to measure the fraction without removing the tuner. 25mm is too wide, I think, and I just want to make sure what I'm ordering before I do anything.

User Info Menu

I never looked at the diagrams until now. I simply bought a set of Waverlys, a set of Gotohs and a set of 18:1 Grovers (not the 12:1 Grovers, which are execrable garbage). Then I tested each out with guitars equipped with vintage Grovers (various Gibson Advanced archtops). Here's my '38 L-12, post-installation, with original screws & bushings.
    Attached Images Attached Images Waverly Tuners-waverly-l12-2-jpg Waverly Tuners-waverly-l12-1-jpg 
    Last edited by Hammertone; 05-14-2019 at 08:43 PM.

User Info Menu

A couple of millimeters might not matter, but I don't have enough experience with the open-back tuners to be sure, and I sure don't want to have to fill and redrill that close together. I think the Gotohs will be fine.