5 20.00%
  • Biltoft Dual Blade Humbucker

5 20.00%
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 7 of 17 FirstFirst ... 56789 ... LastLast
Posts 151 to 175 of 419

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by rlrhett
    If you are still trying to figure out the neck joint, here is a video of someone doing it with hand tools. I’ve done it similarly, but I use the LMII jig now. Watching this guy makes me doubt the power tool way is really all that better. Of course, his tools are really SHARP and he’s obviously done this a lot.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
    Quote Originally Posted by Matt Cushman
    With the mandolin family, the fingerboard extension is usually added after the neck is attached. In the video it looks as if he is going to skip the extension on his mandocello as he does not mention it. With a mandolin, setting the neck height and angle is a different process than it is on a guitar. It is a very informative video nonetheless. But I thought I should point out that guitars and mandolins are usually a bit different when it comes to the fingerboard extension.
    I do feel like I’ve been in a rut with the neck joint.

Thanks, Rhett. I’ve found Tomy Hovington’s stuff in my internet research, and have seen that video. As Matt mentioned, he had a flat area for attachment on the top plate and it didn’t appear to involve a neck extension, and I sort of abandoned that method as I didn’t have a solid resource for instruction.

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Obviously, there are lots of variables and ways to skin the cat.. tapered, straight, etc.

I decided to make a neck dovetail tenon jig a la Cushman. I started with a piece of 3/4” plywood, and traced the outline of the dovetail template and drilled 2 pilot holes:
    First-timer Archtop Build-c1fb3d78-8fce-40b8-bbc2-3a98f1c68401-jpg

I then jigsaw’d out the central portion:
    First-timer Archtop Build-4f6c078d-2d51-437c-a6b2-6c6264a3f068-jpg

Next, I used the plunge router with a 1/2” straight bit set to the depth of the template (1/4”) and removed the inlay for the template itself:
    First-timer Archtop Build-f160ff72-8f82-4e37-b1c5-4b2eec2f248a-jpg
    First-timer Archtop Build-9be230f3-c016-4b3f-b6b7-75fd29f980c6-jpg

I used a longer piece of 3/4” plywood and routed a 3/4” channel using on the table router with a straight bit to meet the top piece at 90°:
    First-timer Archtop Build-91695696-8c86-47f0-93ec-17de23cfb53e-jpg
    First-timer Archtop Build-781bc824-e3b6-427a-a545-7e35ae22137c-jpg

End of Pt1

User Info Menu

I then took a square board and cut 2 right-angle pieces on the compound miter saw. I nailed them with a pneumatic nailer and placed 2 screws from the top:
    First-timer Archtop Build-d4e146d7-056e-4c2e-9665-b958d08ee915-jpg
    First-timer Archtop Build-c307e52c-6578-4ff1-b7f5-3f3e248afd60-jpg

Again, disregard the fact I’ve placed the in template upside down.

I realized my heel was very oversized, so I measured out the distance from the top plate to ~1/4” from the inside of the back plates. I decided to leave an extra 1/2” beyond and decided to leave an extra 1/8” or so (second line) to be safe, which I can shape later. I then cut off the heel excess on the table saw:First-timer Archtop Build-2c42cd7a-8261-49ef-897b-91271a7f8f45-jpgFirst-timer Archtop Build-2d865ad7-dfa3-452e-ad33-d11493625249-jpg

I then held my neck blank up to the jig and realized it was was too far back to get the bottom of the dovetail to be at my mark:
    First-timer Archtop Build-7dd5af3e-9a1b-4c45-8088-90765093debd-jpg

So, I realIzed I’d have to extend back my template cavity with the router and jigsaw:
    First-timer Archtop Build-305c633a-9ea6-42af-84df-e7c1b203e927-jpg

PS - to make the cavity, I knife marked out the template and routed up to near the line. I then mallet/chiseled the edges clean to get a snug fit.

This is where it stands currently- noticed I had the template orientation right this time!
    First-timer Archtop Build-41e41ea9-f99a-47b1-81d9-44872a575b32-jpg

I still need to make a pretty fat 4degree wedge to get the jig to appropriately get the dovetail where I need it.

User Info Menu

I see you are well on your way with the router jig. But the hand cut dovetail mortise and tenon is done exactly the same whether you are adding a 1/2” fingerboard extension or leaving a raised area on the top itself. Those are really independent considerations.

Also, Robbie O’Brien (O’Brien Guitars) sells plans for a jig that holds the body of the guitar and neck for using routing templates. It is a good jig, works with the LMI templates, and worth buying his plans. No reason to try to reinvent the wheel.

User Info Menu

Just to clarify. I was trying to point out the difference between the use of a V shaped mortise in mandolin neck attachment as compared to straight walled mortice in archtop guitar neck attachment. Not how they are cut. The v shaped mortise works well for the mandolin as the fingerboard extension is added after the neck is glued in place. Whereas with the guitar neck the fingerboard extension is in place when you glue the neck to the body. This does make setting the neck height a bit different. I also have a router jig for my mandolins that cuts a V shaped mortise.

Not to beat a dead horse, but Chapter 14 of Benedetto's book "fitting the neck to the body" shows the method used for a straight sided mortise and tenon dovetail joint. A V shaped mortise will have an added element of difficulty when it comes time to fit the neck.
    Last edited by Matt Cushman; 10-16-2019 at 09:12 AM.

User Info Menu

I see you are well on your way with the router jig. But the hand cut dovetail mortise and tenon is done exactly the same whether you are adding a 1/2” fingerboard extension or leaving a raised area on the top itself. Those are really independent considerations.

Also, Robbie O’Brien (O’Brien Guitars) sells plans for a jig that holds the body of the guitar and neck for using routing templates. It is a good jig, works with the LMI templates, and worth buying his plans. No reason to try to reinvent the wheel.

Just to clarify. I was trying to point out the difference between the use of a V shaped mortise in mandolin neck attachment as compared to straight walled mortice in archtop guitar neck attachment. Not how they are cut. The v shaped mortise works well for the mandolin as the fingerboard extension is added after the neck is glued in place. Whereas with the guitar neck the fingerboard extension is in place when you glue the neck to the body. This does make setting the neck height a bit different. I also have a router jig for my mandolins that cuts a V shaped mortise.

Not to beat a dead horse, but Chapter 14 of Benedetto's book "fitting the neck to the body" shows the method used for a straight sided mortise and tenon dovetail joint. A V shaped mortise will have an added element of difficulty when it comes time to fit the neck.
    I'm gonna go with your experience here and stay with the straight mortise and tenon to avoid another potential fit problem. I'll snag the O'Brien plans and re-start the jig. Do you recommend I go with the smaller 3/4" dovetail bit, bits associated with the template?

User Info Menu

With the straight sided mortise and tenon I think the fitting of the neck will be much as is shown in Bob's book. The size of the mortise and tenon is what will be affected by the size of the template and bit size and guide ring relationship. Not having worked with the LMII templates, it is difficult for me to speculate on what size bit and guide ring will be required to cut the proper size mortise and tenon. When I say proper size, I am referring to the dimensions that Bob shows in his plan.

User Info Menu

Did that horse show signs of life? Here, let me give it a whack! ;-)

I actually use a “V” dovetail, which used to be common on Martin/Gibson flat top guitars as well. The argument was that it cinched up on itself. You could clamp down on the neck to the body to pull it tight. A straight sliding dovetail had to be perfect everywhere to pull tight.

But just to be contrarian, I have also used a butt joint and inserts. I used a long threaded rod with a coupler and Allen key at the end to fasten the bolt. I used the endpin hole for access.

Also, I fit the joint without the fingerboard extension or fingerboard. Once properly fit to the body I use the body to tell me where to cut the rabbet.

Many ways to skin the cat.

I’ve made several jigs over the years, and Robbie’s is the one I use most. I think you’ll like it. He has a video on using it that is very helpful. Dovetail bits are relatively cheap, so you might as well use the one LMI calls out. One less place to make a mistake.

User Info Menu

Did that horse show signs of life? Here, let me give it a whack! ;-)

I actually use a “V” dovetail, which used to be common on Martin/Gibson flat top guitars as well. The argument was that it cinched up on itself. You could clamp down on the neck to the body to pull it tight. A straight sliding dovetail had to be perfect everywhere to pull tight.

But just to be contrarian, I have also used a butt joint and inserts. I used a long threaded rod with a coupler and Allen key at the end to fasten the bolt. I used the endpin hole for access.

Also, I fit the joint without the fingerboard extension or fingerboard. Once properly fit to the body I use the body to tell me where to cut the rabbet.

Many ways to skin the cat.

I’ve made several jigs over the years, and Robbie’s is the one I use most. I think you’ll like it. He has a video on using it that is very helpful. Dovetail bits are relatively cheap, so you might as well use the one LMI calls out. One less place to make a mistake.

I agree there often many ways of completing a task. I often depends on the tools you have or those that you are familiar with. The important thing is making sure you have taken the time of thinking everything through carefully before you proceed with something that is non reversible. Obviously the v shaped joint works well for you. And it sounds as if you are using the same method that I use on a mandolin. I have grown accustomed to my own method for guitar so when offering advice I naturally gravitate towards what I use myself.

As a side note, I like to join the extender to the neck with a dovetail joint for a bit of added strength and to simplify the clamping of the extender to the neck while gluing it to the neck. I borrowed this idea from D'AquistoFirst-timer Archtop Build-p1010002-jpgFirst-timer Archtop Build-p1010003-jpg
    Last edited by Matt Cushman; 10-16-2019 at 01:58 PM.

User Info Menu

I agree there often many ways of completing a task. I often depends on the tools you have or those that you are familiar with. The important thing is making sure you have taken the time of thinking everything through carefully before you proceed with something that is non reversible. Obviously the v shaped joint works well for you. And it sounds as if you are using the same method that I use on a mandolin. I have grown accustom to my own method for guitar so when offering advice I naturally gravitate towards what I use myself.

As a side note, I like to join the extender to the neck with a dovetail joint for a bit of added strength and to simplify the clamping of the extender to the neck while gluing it to the neck. I borrowed this idea from D'AquistoFirst-timer Archtop Build-p1010002-jpgFirst-timer Archtop Build-p1010003-jpg
    That's slick!!

User Info Menu

Made some headway on the O’Brien jig using his plans. I ordered a few star knobs from Rockler that are slated to arrive tomorrow and the straight mortise/tenon LMI template and bits get here on Wednesday. I didn’t photograph the whole process since you can check his plans and YouTube videos, but here’s a synopsis till my current status. This was definitely more about function than beauty, and I think will work well.
    First-timer Archtop Build-2bef20a0-a7ca-4a03-bacf-47024f98c063-jpg
    First-timer Archtop Build-2ade4f12-bf2a-490c-8f04-abcbe1636859-jpgFirst-timer Archtop Build-e34a0a13-3fe0-425c-9566-633612da4152-jpg
    First-timer Archtop Build-793fd07b-3c81-4900-b722-dc681a722ab6-jpg
    First-timer Archtop Build-685a0231-1890-4d7c-9fb2-eb36771ba6bd-jpg
    First-timer Archtop Build-3480e20b-3afc-49eb-b419-fb3d943641cd-jpg
    First-timer Archtop Build-3b2790a2-97e7-48d0-8dc1-4c7b5a959c90-jpg

Hopefully can get most finished tomorrow night and be ready to test some bits this weekend.
    Last edited by sbeishline; 10-22-2019 at 01:40 PM.

User Info Menu

Got the O’Brien neck jig completed today. This is a feat in itself!
    First-timer Archtop Build-e1f2927a-e006-4ed9-9730-31da3ec6d619-jpgFirst-timer Archtop Build-91a5154c-1f41-42c4-9852-4a3872ac73ba-jpgFirst-timer Archtop Build-fd8d7359-14d4-484a-b406-e7d9dc2cfd9c-jpgFirst-timer Archtop Build-1f2f44e2-78b3-4d6c-88dd-f1230d983558-jpg

Feels great to have that finished. Will plan to practice on some wood this week with the various dovetail bits, etc.

As if this guitar isn’t enough, I’ve started to make a small 14.5” x 14.5” x 11.25” speaker cabinet to use with 12” Cannabis Rex speaker - and probably - a Quilter 101R amp head.

Will probably start a new thread for that side project to use with this future guitar. Have the pine cut and currently marking the dovetails...

User Info Menu

Make a little noise if you're stoked for the continuation of the archtop!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by sbeishline
    Make a little noise if you're stoked for the continuation of the archtop!

More archtop!

John

User Info Menu

More, more, more please!!!

User Info Menu

I had been stuck at the neck dovetail joint for a bit and bit the bullet to make the O'Brien neck joint jig, which came out well. I was also held up because I had planned to forego on the toggle clamps and use removable clamps to hold the neck in place, but none fit. So, the toggle clamps just arrived yesterday and I'll screw those on the jig tonight.

In the meantime, I milled a small piece of cherry scrap to 7/32" wide to use as a guide pin for the neck on the jig that holds the neck at exactly 90 degrees:
    First-timer Archtop Build-img_4633-jpeg-jpg
    First-timer Archtop Build-img_4632-jpeg-jpg

Next up will be to install the toggle clamps and practice on my erroneous first neck blank..

User Info Menu

Feels good to have the wheels spinning again after the pause. Drilled some pilot holes onto some blocks and screwed the neck-holding toggle clamps into place:
    First-timer Archtop Build-d9a1e3b8-dd74-42a6-a149-9893022870d7-jpg

Tested out the clamps and it holds pretty well. That guide pin used in the truss rod channel is awesome!
    First-timer Archtop Build-83c51dfc-3e0d-480e-b7c7-cedc7c7eb384-jpg

I then used some scraps and made a faux neck blank templates to practice using the dovetail jig. I cut the blank to 4° setback angle to match jig and ran them on the table router to make a truss rod channel:
    First-timer Archtop Build-4cf8251b-cc26-40d7-9a4a-8051f3b8b803-jpg

I used the LMI dovetail templates, 1/2” shank straight and dovetail bits, and their 5/8” outer diameter (17/32” inner diameter) with centering bit to use in the router.

I used the centering bit and locked down the guide bushing. Then placed the straight bit for a test cut for the dovetail mortise.
    First-timer Archtop Build-710fac65-c10d-4f44-9855-d57a8a81ea20-jpgFirst-timer Archtop Build-d03e768c-41d9-4d85-aaa9-ff3aa8987d4b-jpg

Took the plunge (ha!) to 3/16” and made the cut:
    First-timer Archtop Build-5ef98ae8-dc0a-463b-abcd-c597f0cd616c-jpg

The router cut real smooth without much issue.

Moved over to the dovetail tenon side and gave it a go:
    First-timer Archtop Build-d194c111-c0e3-46f6-815e-0bb468dab6cf-jpgFirst-timer Archtop Build-b618dd3a-1de6-4f12-975d-27a3a7da5401-jpg

One thing I learned is that because of the guide bushing, the bit cuts the tenon ~1/8” longer than I had marked (see previous 2 photos) and the mortise gets cut a tad shorter than marking.

Ran out of time to switch to the dovetail bit on Day 1.

User Info Menu

Building a guitar is a bit like building a house: the foundations and rough framing go in relatively quickly and it LOOKS like a house; but the finish carpentry is where the real time is taken.

Keep at it. You are doing great! When I used to help teach a guitar building class 25 people would start and we would be lucky if 5 fully completed a guitar. Such a shame! The worst sounding and playing guitar is the one in parts sitting in a box in your garage.

User Info Menu

Back to shop for more practice!

Having closed an archtop body, I can tell you the dovetail joint has been the most mentally challenging concept to get a handle on, by far. It’s not only a dovetail, but 2 dovetails in 2 different directions. There has been lots of speculation and discussion of whether it’s best to cut the dovetail or mortise or dovetail first, and how best to refine these to create a super tight fit at the right level.

I should preface that I did most of this practice session with an incorrect end goal- I attempted to make the top of the tenon flush with the body. I think I thought this because the video I watched was an acoustic guitar. That being said, I cut about 3 mortises and tenons, of which all mortises were too wide. The following pictures were the 4th one that got near a locked fit.

I recut a new mortise:
    First-timer Archtop Build-ed82b83a-46db-48c5-a731-0c26b5c67f17-jpg

And another tenon. And changed from the straight cut bit to the 7° dovetail bit:
    First-timer Archtop Build-735b094c-3216-42d0-93ec-d9e034a504b6-jpg

Once cut with the dovetail, it was proud, but did have a decent lock:
    First-timer Archtop Build-55db102f-11b6-4e53-90fc-f7ae7df4ef1c-jpg

I assumed the tenon bottomed our and trimmed the tip of the tenon. This helped it drop a bit further in:
    First-timer Archtop Build-c3663716-73d8-48d0-8313-5828dba28f39-jpg
    First-timer Archtop Build-11529dbf-1655-45e6-98ed-05e2caef4438-jpg

I then used a file and tried to narrow the sides and tip, keeping the file at the 7° dovetail angle:
    First-timer Archtop Build-9abc43aa-5f83-40b5-8083-f915d8899171-jpg

After refining this a bit:
    First-timer Archtop Build-3ca6a154-602b-463d-ba0a-8e2f04f0aafe-jpg

And eventually ended up here:
    First-timer Archtop Build-c886efdd-7444-456f-83df-c96aa131feb2-jpg

I must not have done accurate filing because the dovetail became much weaker and slipped out towards the tip of the tenon.

At the end of day 2, I was glad to get closer to a locked joint. Being that the 5/8” rabbet needed to be cut, I felt the tenon would end up being pretty short. I still felt a bit lost as to the best method to get this mysterious joint where its supposed to be in the end.

User Info Menu

This brings us to real time (12/1).

I decided to go back and watch the O’Brien jig use video- and this helped. At this point, I also realized I didn’t want the dovetail flush with the body, because we needed to add the neck extension.

After some more banter, I decided to try a real dry run. I would first cut the mortise to my desired length 2-1/4” using the original, abandoned full neck blank and planned to cut the tenon to 3/4” and the mortise to a depth of just greater than 3/4” - I would do all fit adjustments to the tenon.

Started by cutting the mortise into a piece (acting as the guitar body) just a hair wider than 2-1/4”, which ended up being a blessing in disguise! Explanation forthcoming.

First, I measured and set the template for the LENGTH to 1/8” beyond 2-1/4”- this is because it cuts 1/8” short due to the guide bushing. Then set the router DEPTH stop to hit just beyond 3/4” on the “body” piece, and took multiple 1/8” passes with the 3/8” straight bit until down to bottom. I then set the template at the max on the neck blank (remember stopping 1/8” short this time, because the guide bushing cuts long on the tenon template). Using the same bit, set depth stop to exactly 3/4” and cut in multiple 1/8” passes until it was finished.

Then switched to the dovetail bit and plunged down and set the depth to hold at level of the previous cuts. The cuts with the dovetail bit have to be cut in only 1 pass. End result:
    First-timer Archtop Build-ff31ec3e-b2ee-4993-b104-8c54c9134196-jpg

First look at fit was really promising! Tight lock fit, shoulders pretty tight, but was quite prominent. This is fine because I was going to adjust the tenon:
    First-timer Archtop Build-1ede29f4-0464-459f-9bb2-00646dc87514-jpg
    First-timer Archtop Build-e07b7fb0-2e09-44dd-a614-47844e8d4e29-jpg
    First-timer Archtop Build-e3135245-8a77-451e-a697-994aa037d99d-jpg

To adjust the tenon (make it a bit more narrow to sit lower), you move the template up (toward the top, or wider part of the tenon). Taking it ~1/8” at a time, it sort of correlates to the tenon moving ~1/8” down:
    First-timer Archtop Build-609e1155-8ed7-42ab-8d1c-d8ec42d23fd2-jpg
    First-timer Archtop Build-b3867861-bb81-4743-abdf-5d59cf1d0f72-jpg
    First-timer Archtop Build-1fd6d75b-3a2d-4dfb-acc6-2c47cf95a00a-jpg

You can see each pic of tenon gets successfully shorter as I move the template up and re-route with the dovetail bit in 1 pass.

I mentioned above about the blessing in disguise- see below:
    First-timer Archtop Build-d6b85155-3058-4016-adb4-aaa938c766a8-jpg

I happened to use a practice scrap just bigger than my goal length of dovetail. This created 2 teaching points:

1. If you don’t leave yourself enough room before the end of the neck block when planning your dovetail, you’ll risk ending up blowing out a hole in your back plate. This is because of the nature of the dovetail bit being angled, in my case 7°. Straight bits cut straight, so no problem. The dovetail cuts wider than the 3/8” straight bit!

The other teaching point was almost nonexistent. It presented itself by a hair- the fact the dovetail bit does cut wider allowed only a sliver of a blowout. But the blowout allowed a window into the internal anatomy of the joint, typically unseen. It shows that this particular joint is close, but not bottomed out in the mortise. Pretty cool, by chance!

Took me about 4 refinements, which got me to my goal (chose arbitrarily) of 5/8” prominent of the ‘body.’ Photos in following post.

User Info Menu

I’m very happy with how my practice progressed and the knowledge it’s given me. The practice experience is invaluable.

I feel that I can now go into the real neck and body, and hopefully get the right fit at the location I need it. I’ll assume I’ll screw up somewhere, but plan not to. Haha

Hit photo max in last post, but here’s how I tracked my tenon refinement depth as I moved the template:
    First-timer Archtop Build-1ef2e6cf-d937-4a8e-afc1-417e360d9aed-jpg

Here’s the final fit:
    First-timer Archtop Build-cd41fd70-c631-497d-8d12-2d2dd1f3f53b-jpg
    First-timer Archtop Build-ed2141af-d92a-4213-9536-006f91a2ccef-jpg
    First-timer Archtop Build-f2a930fa-3b99-48b2-b65c-b463f0ed1714-jpg
    First-timer Archtop Build-fdc629a1-1eea-43f0-a7d6-26e6b5e55300-jpg
    First-timer Archtop Build-1274e382-e6e1-4990-8ad1-0873893bd28f-jpg

Less nervously looking forward to cutting the real deal.
    Last edited by sbeishline; 12-02-2019 at 08:17 AM.

User Info Menu

Building a guitar is a bit like building a house: the foundations and rough framing go in relatively quickly and it LOOKS like a house; but the finish carpentry is where the real time is taken.

Keep at it. You are doing great! When I used to help teach a guitar building class 25 people would start and we would be lucky if 5 fully completed a guitar. Such a shame! The worst sounding and playing guitar is the one in parts sitting in a box in your garage.

Preach!

Thanks, Rhett. Words of wisdom- much appreciated.

Is there an ideal amount of protrusion of the dovetail I should aim for if the neck extension will be 5/8”?

User Info Menu

What happened with the template that was marked LMI M&T for cutting a straight sided mortise and tenon?

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by sbeishline
    Preach!

Thanks, Rhett. Words of wisdom- much appreciated.

Is there an ideal amount of protrusion of the dovetail I should aim for if the neck extension will be 5/8”?
    It depends on your neck angle. Place a straight edge on the neck. It should fall 3/4” above the soundboard at the bridge. Unlike a traditional guitar, you have some wiggle room, but 3/4” +/- 1/8” is just about right. That should give you about 1/2” — 5/8” of protrusion. But what matters is what is happening at the bridge.

Your heel is long enough to reach the bottom of you rims, right?

User Info Menu

What happened with the template that was marked LMI M&T for cutting a straight sided mortise and tenon?
    Still a possibility. Steve (shop owner) suggested trying the more difficult/stronger joint to start practicing and see how it went. So far, I feel like the tapered may be doable.

It depends on your neck angle. Place a straight edge on the neck. It should fall 3/4” above the soundboard at the bridge. Unlike a traditional guitar, you have some wiggle room, but 3/4” +/- 1/8” is just about right. That should give you about 1/2” — 5/8” of protrusion. But what matters is what is happening at the bridge.

Your heel is long enough to reach the bottom of you rims, right?

I decided on a 4deg neck angle- slightly flatter than the Benedetto in the book. Re: heel reaching bottom of rims.. not sure exactly what you mean. I chose 2-1/4", a bit short of the bottom of the rim so I wouldn't cut too far into the back. I figured a heel cap would get me close to the back plate. Is that what you mean?