• Zoller AZ-48

5 20.00%
  • Biltoft Dual Blade Humbucker

5 20.00%
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 17 of 17 FirstFirst ... 7151617
Posts 401 to 419 of 419

User Info Menu

I am blown away by this series of photos. Thank you for sharing your progress with us!

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by rlrhett
    That is elegant, Matt. What size inserts/bolts are you using?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
    Thanks, rlrhett. I am using 6-32 x 3/4" but they are a bit too long so I cut them down to 5/8" or so as needed. For the block, I make a short length of ebony cut square with the exception of 1 side ( to become the top ) cut with the exact angle needed for the proper angle of the finger rest. With this piece, you can make a number of blocks all having the same angle. It is easiest to drill your holes before cutting out your block pieces. The screw hole nearest the nut must be drilled/cut oblong in shape similar to a short slot to allow for up and down adjustment. Threaded brass inserts need to be accurately installed. I find it best to epoxy them in to a hole that is not too tight but still in good contact when installed. Here is a photo of a rejected block I have. The screw holes don't have to be recessed for the screw heads as these in the photo are. But of course, the pan head screws must seat on a flat surface one way or the other. The recessed heads look nice and help hide the screws.
    First-timer Archtop Build-p1010004-jpg
    Last edited by Matt Cushman; 03-05-2020 at 02:25 PM.

User Info Menu

I bought the first edition of Robert Benedetto's "Build an Archtop Guitar"; it sat on the shelf; I bought the 2nd edition and the DVD set and started in earnest October 2019.

I found your posts about your build process invaluable and am grateful for your generosity in sharing.

I am considering starting a similar series. Any advice for another First-timer Archtop builder?

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by tomlamson
    I bought the first edition of Robert Benedetto's "Build an Archtop Guitar"; it sat on the shelf; I bought the 2nd edition and the DVD set and started in earnest October 2019.

I found your posts about your build process invaluable and am grateful for your generosity in sharing.

I am considering starting a similar series. Any advice for another First-timer Archtop builder?

User Info Menu

Hey Tom,

Thanks for dropping a line.

1. I'd say that taking each little stage as it's own woodworking project helps as mental stepping stones, because this whole thing has a LOT of steps. I'm pretty impatient, so maybe it's just me, but that helped.

2. I also realized that there are lots of ways of doing things.. each builder has her or his own preference.. whether it be order of operations, way of doing something, etc., so think out each step on how (by hand vs. machine, drill press vs. hand drill, saw vs. table saw, jig vs. no jig, etc) it'll be best for you and your skills to tackle it.

3. It's beneficial (although it takes longer) to do a practice piece or 2 during the steps you find necessary as to not screw up the actual piece.

4. Be flexible with mistakes - it's not if - it's when, unfortunately. It's really all learning- no expectations except trying to make it come together at the end.

5. Have fun with it - it's easy to get stressed if you take it too seriously. It's just a wood project. I mean, take it seriously, but not TOO seriously. Can't imagine being a full-time luthier! Scary. Even if it falls apart or breaks, it can make some cool wall art!

Hope those generalities help.

And definitely start the blog!

Oh, and the right tools definitely make a difference.
    Last edited by sbeishline; 03-28-2020 at 03:02 PM.

User Info Menu

Hey all - finally got to the end of the French polishing process and figured I'd post some pix of my guitar's current state (pre-pickguard/pickup electrification).

I did Tom Bill's The Art of French Polishing course on his Luthier's Edge website for the process, which went along these lines:

Shellac-only seal coats x 2
    Shellac/alcohol with pumice coats x 3
    Shellac/alcohol with EVOO x 1
    Shellac+walnut oil/alcohol with EVOO x 10
    Level sand with 1000 grit (dry)
    Shellac+walnut oil/alcohol with EVOO x 8
    Smooth sand with 3600 grit micromesh (with EVOO/mineral spirits)
    Shellac+walnut oil/alcohol with EVOO x 3

I had planned to do a buff coat using Novus #2, but I'm happy with the smoothness/shine as it is now, and I think I may skip this part.

Here she be:
    First-timer Archtop Build-img_8086-jpgFirst-timer Archtop Build-img_8087-jpgFirst-timer Archtop Build-img_8088-jpgFirst-timer Archtop Build-img_8089-jpgFirst-timer Archtop Build-img_8090-jpgFirst-timer Archtop Build-img_8091-jpgFirst-timer Archtop Build-img_8095-jpgFirst-timer Archtop Build-img_8098-jpg

Next step will be to stringing it up and see how she sounds acoustically.

User Info Menu

Oh my that baby is turning out to be quite lovely!

User Info Menu

That looks really nice ! The finish has so much depth, amazing ... tell me please : how does the "fiddle edge" of the top and back plates feel on your thigh and on your playing arm ?

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by gitman
    That looks really nice ! The finish has so much depth, amazing ... tell me please : how does the "fiddle edge" of the top and back plates feel on your thigh and on your playing arm ?
    Thanks, gitman. Sorry for the late reply. The fiddle edge doesn't bother me too much on either place.

User Info Menu

Well, it's been a bit since I've dropped a line in here, but last night I completed the last step in my archtop build journey and finished the electronics (KA floating 12-pole PAF/Schatten thumbwheel controls) and got the guitar cleaned up and restrung. Almost 2 full years (with baby in the middle causing long periods of work intermission).

I played with the guitar acoustically for a while and noticed some buzzing. I also note that some of the frets weren't seated well (after the humidity changes, maybe?) and decided I needed to re-glue them. I did that a few weeks back and then re-leveled and crowned all the frets, which fixed the buzz issues.

When I restrung, I forgot to place the tailpiece cord around the endpin jack itself and leave the end jack available for a strap. Although, I haven't drilled the hole for the strap on the body yet, so I guess I'll plan to sit while playing for a while until I'm gonna restring again.

Making a wooden pick guard is easy. Making mounting block is pretty straight forward, too. Epoxying it in an appropriate place.. eh, little annoying, but not too bad. Getting the pickup aligned and in the right place on the neck and under the strings... NOT EASY!! Takes patience and a lot of tedious adjusting and refitting, etc. In the end, I'm happy with it's location and glad that's over. Haha

Got to experiment with soldering and electronics, which was fun to do and learn. I did a sloppy job on the endpin jack (glob of solder on the pin (hot) dripped and was touching the ground causing a short). If you don't have a solder sucker/wick, it's a pain in the tush to fix.

The sound acoustically is fairly full and loud, and projects well. Sometimes too loud for a sleeping baby, from what my wife says. I haven't really experimented too much plugged in and different volumes, but it sounds like I hoped it would from the beginning. Certainly doesn't make me think "boxy" or dead or flat. I'll have to record something some time and addendum it in the thread.

At any rate, here's the final showing:
    First-timer Archtop Build-b469d93d-4778-46a7-812c-24e5ff27e0e7_1_201_a-jpg
    First-timer Archtop Build-e5857cd9-47fb-41d5-a265-5acb0ff94904_1_201_a-jpg
    First-timer Archtop Build-578162c1-0142-4da9-9b36-fc441edd8b28_1_201_a-jpg
    First-timer Archtop Build-1320895d-2bdb-4f90-b424-58c59dbd2e70_1_201_a-jpg
    First-timer Archtop Build-55e40779-f3e8-49c3-bf35-86e4042ed7c9_1_201_a-jpg
    First-timer Archtop Build-c5963758-a869-416f-9e59-495c9b944336-jpg

Oh geez - I almost forgot to mention during the "acoustic period" my first tailpiece had a crack from the stress of the string tension where I had one of the holes drilled for the tailpiece cord. The temperature must have dropped one night and it cracked. I found the guitar with the tailpiece/bridge on the floor and the strings hanging off. I took me 4 attempts to make a new one because the ebony pieces kept cracking when I was drilling the holes for the strings. 4th try is a charm. That is all.

Thanks!

User Info Menu

That is one gorgeous git! Even if it sounded like crap I'd be proud to have made it!

Looking forward to getting to hear it soon.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

User Info Menu

Oh my goodness that thing is just stunning! Thank you for sharing it with us!

User Info Menu

Nice build! Congratulations, and play it in good health!

User Info Menu

Beautiful instrument. Congrats! Here's the one that I built using the Robert Benedetto "Archtop Guitar Design and Construction" Book and DVD set.
    First-timer Archtop Build-img_20201031_175649892-1-jpg

User Info Menu

Beautiful instrument. Congrats! Here's the one that I built using the Robert Benedetto "Archtop Guitar Design and Construction" Book and DVD set.

User Info Menu

Really awesome guitar, Tom. I like the matching binding theme you used. I know the feeling of satisfaction of bringing an idea to life and finally get to see and play it. Thanks for sharing that.
    S

User Info Menu

Hey, you built an arch top! Give yourself a huge pat on the back!

User Info Menu

Thank! I have to say that I referred to your, and countless other, internet posts of descriptions of trials and tribulations that helped me along!

User Info Menu

Thank! I have to say that I referred to your, and countless other, internet posts of descriptions of trials and tribulations that helped me along!