• Zoller AZ-48

5 20.00%
  • Biltoft Dual Blade Humbucker

5 20.00%
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 16 of 17 FirstFirst ... 614151617 LastLast
Posts 376 to 400 of 419

User Info Menu

rlrhett is right; it was common knowledge amongst the Ancients that "should one day infante appearre, buildde a þin-line for þy peerres".

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

How are mother and child doing?

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Zina
    You've made a beautiful guitar that sounds lovely even through a tablet speaker (I can't listen through good headphones right now). I think the proper feedback to such a feat is '....HOLY MOLY - he did it...'
    Thanks!!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by teeps
    I like the sound too with these strings. Appears nice, light and airy in sound, and without the boxyness some smaller hollow bodies have. Congratulations
    Thanks! I always hear the term "boxy" in the context of guitar tone, and I never really know what that means. I was hoping it wouldn't seem "dead," but it certainly has nice projected, woody tone. Certainly no L5, but I don't think I built it looking for that. In fact, I dunno what I was looking for in terms of tone. I just wanted it to look like that and play okay, and amazingly, I think I nailed it.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by rlrhett
    I’m actually deeply disappointed...

That this wonderful thread is coming to an end. Matt and I both visit some luthier specific boards. I think he would agree this has been one of the best build threads out there.

You know what a new father really needs? To build a thinline! We’re ready for your next build thread.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
    Man, what a fantastic thing to say. And really meaningful to read, coming from your experience of building multiple instruments. Couldn't have done it without both of your help!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by TedBPhx
    How are mother and child doing?
    Mom and Sylvie Jane B are doing great. It was a rough 24hrs after I recorded that video, but on Friday night at about 8p, Sylvie debuted her first vocal notes. She is tiny nugget - 6lb 2oz and 18.5", just about the same length as the archtop body!

I look at both and am still in shock!

First-timer Archtop Build-99514796-2d0a-443e-bbff-05633e7e3089-jpg

User Info Menu

Congratulations!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by TedBPhx
    Congratulations!
    Thanks, Ted!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by sbeishline
    Thanks! I always hear the term "boxy" in the context of guitar tone, and I never really know what that means. I was hoping it wouldn't seem "dead," but it certainly has nice projected, woody tone. Certainly no L5, but I don't think I built it looking for that. In fact, I dunno what I was looking for in terms of tone. I just wanted it to look like that and play okay, and amazingly, I think I nailed it.
    Actually "boxy" is normally used referring to a certain kind of electric sound, often a kind of Polytone-ish sort. I think of a sound that is very middle weighted, a bit compressed sounding maybe. Literally sounds like the amp is sitting in a box. Can't think of a recorded example though.

User Info Menu

Mom and Sylvie Jane B are doing great. It was a rough 24hrs after I recorded that video, but on Friday night at about 8p, Sylvie debuted her first vocal notes. She is tiny nugget - 6lb 2oz and 18.5", just about the same length as the archtop body!

I look at both and am still in shock!

First-timer Archtop Build-99514796-2d0a-443e-bbff-05633e7e3089-jpg
    Hearty congratulations! What a precious baby! I just found myself blessed with two grand-children in the last couple of months from two of my children. That little one will grow up with your guitar! About the time she's ready to play it, the wood will be perfectly aged and "played in" and you can gift it to her, both born together!

User Info Menu

Congratulations to you and your wife. Hope mother and baby are both doing great and that you’ll all have a wonderful life together. I’m sure she’s going to love Dad playing her some fantastic tunes on his guitar. Thanks for all your posts and descriptions of how it has been created from the blank. I’ve loved watching it come together in so many ways. All best from UK.

User Info Menu

SJB
    I wish for her that she'll be grateful to, and proud of you. And for you that you'll find her to be a faithful compagnonne in a few years' time.

User Info Menu

Congrats to you and your wife. Real life begins now !
    There is an old thread about people of a certain age looking for guitar(s) of their millesime. Problem solved from the first day for Sylvie Jane.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by lawson-stone
    Actually "boxy" is normally used referring to a certain kind of electric sound, often a kind of Polytone-ish sort. I think of a sound that is very middle weighted, a bit compressed sounding maybe. Literally sounds like the amp is sitting in a box. Can't think of a recorded example though.
    Quote Originally Posted by lawson-stone
    Hearty congratulations! What a precious baby! I just found myself blessed with two grand-children in the last couple of months from two of my children. That little one will grow up with your guitar! About the time she's ready to play it, the wood will be perfectly aged and "played in" and you can gift it to her, both born together!
    Thanks, LS! Congrats on your new grand babies! New life is absolutely wild.

I’m pretty happy with the way it sounds unplugged. Someday, I’d love to somehow compare it to other mainstream guitars of similar specs.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Maxtunes170
    Congratulations to you and your wife. Hope mother and baby are both doing great and that you’ll all have a wonderful life together. I’m sure she’s going to love Dad playing her some fantastic tunes on his guitar. Thanks for all your posts and descriptions of how it has been created from the blank. I’ve loved watching it come together in so many ways. All best from UK.
    Thanks, Max. I’d help if I could really play it! Hahaha

Really appreciate you tuning in and following along, and for your comments!

User Info Menu

I wish for her that she'll be grateful to, and proud of you. And for you that you'll find her to be a faithful compagnonne in a few years' time.
    Thx, Zina. Me too!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by 339 in june
    Congrats to you and your wife. Real life begins now !
    There is an old thread about people of a certain age looking for guitar(s) of their millesime. Problem solved from the first day for Sylvie Jane.
    Thanks, 339. Hopefully it’ll hold up!

Hi, I'm new in this forum and currently planning my first archtop build (after building some solidbodies and a classical nylon string guitar that I'm trying to finish) so I guess this thread will be of great help. Thank you for posting all the process and congratulations for the guitar and the baby!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by antoniofracchia
    Hi, I'm new in this forum and currently planning my first archtop build (after building some solidbodies and a classical nylon string guitar that I'm trying to finish) so I guess this thread will be of great help. Thank you for posting all the process and congratulations for the guitar and the baby!
    Thanks for the kind words, Antonio.

Sounds like you’ll be starting from a more advanced place than I did.

You should blog your build here like I did. I bet lots of forum members would love to follow along - I know I would!!

Good luck!

User Info Menu

Is everything going all right baby-wise, sbeishline?

User Info Menu

Is everything going all right baby-wise, sbeishline?
    Yup, not too bad, so far. Trying to get into some sort of a routine! Haha

User Info Menu

Here is a photo of the cork gasket and threaded brass inserts I use for the finger rest / pickup attachment you asked about. By carefully sanding away some of the cork gasket material you can adjust the angles of the pickup for squareness in relation to the fretboard.First-timer Archtop Build-p1010004-jpgFirst-timer Archtop Build-p1010005-jpg

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Matt Cushman
    Here is a photo of the cork gasket and threaded brass inserts I use for the finger rest / pickup attachment you asked about. By carefully sanding away some of the cork gasket material you can adjust the angles of the pickup for squareness in relation to the fretboard.
    Thanks for the pics! That’s a really neat method. So you drill the holes, screw the threaded inserts in, and then screw through the pickguard block into the inserts, right?

User Info Menu

Thanks for the pics! That’s a really neat method. So you drill the holes, screw the threaded inserts in, and then screw through the pickguard block into the inserts, right?
    Yes, but unfortunately for your build, this should all be prepared before the neck is attached. Wood screws will work fine but they are less dependable after repeated uses. I may have to take another picture to show you the block section as that is an important part of the connection that allows for adjustment but will stay in place firmly with no need to over torque the two pan head machine screws.

User Info Menu

That is elegant, Matt. What size inserts/bolts are you using?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro