• Zoller AZ-48

5 25.00%
  • Biltoft Dual Blade Humbucker

4 20.00%
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst ... 789
Posts 401 to 408 of 408

User Info Menu

I am blown away by this series of photos. Thank you for sharing your progress with us!

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by rlrhett View Post
    That is elegant, Matt. What size inserts/bolts are you using?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
    Thanks, rlrhett. I am using 6-32 x 3/4" but they are a bit too long so I cut them down to 5/8" or so as needed. For the block, I make a short length of ebony cut square with the exception of 1 side ( to become the top ) cut with the exact angle needed for the proper angle of the finger rest. With this piece, you can make a number of blocks all having the same angle. It is easiest to drill your holes before cutting out your block pieces. The screw hole nearest the nut must be drilled/cut oblong in shape similar to a short slot to allow for up and down adjustment. Threaded brass inserts need to be accurately installed. I find it best to epoxy them in to a hole that is not too tight but still in good contact when installed. Here is a photo of a rejected block I have. The screw holes don't have to be recessed for the screw heads as these in the photo are. But of course, the pan head screws must seat on a flat surface one way or the other. The recessed heads look nice and help hide the screws.
    First-timer Archtop Build-p1010004-jpg
    Last edited by Matt Cushman; 03-05-2020 at 02:25 PM.

User Info Menu

I bought the first edition of Robert Benedetto's "Build an Archtop Guitar"; it sat on the shelf; I bought the 2nd edition and the DVD set and started in earnest October 2019.

I found your posts about your build process invaluable and am grateful for your generosity in sharing.

I am considering starting a similar series. Any advice for another First-timer Archtop builder?

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by tomlamson View Post
    I bought the first edition of Robert Benedetto's "Build an Archtop Guitar"; it sat on the shelf; I bought the 2nd edition and the DVD set and started in earnest October 2019.

I found your posts about your build process invaluable and am grateful for your generosity in sharing.

I am considering starting a similar series. Any advice for another First-timer Archtop builder?

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by tomlamson View Post

Hey Tom,

Thanks for dropping a line.

1. I'd say that taking each little stage as it's own woodworking project helps as mental stepping stones, because this whole thing has a LOT of steps. I'm pretty impatient, so maybe it's just me, but that helped.

2. I also realized that there are lots of ways of doing things.. each builder has her or his own preference.. whether it be order of operations, way of doing something, etc., so think out each step on how (by hand vs. machine, drill press vs. hand drill, saw vs. table saw, jig vs. no jig, etc) it'll be best for you and your skills to tackle it.

3. It's beneficial (although it takes longer) to do a practice piece or 2 during the steps you find necessary as to not screw up the actual piece.

4. Be flexible with mistakes - it's not if - it's when, unfortunately. It's really all learning- no expectations except trying to make it come together at the end.

5. Have fun with it - it's easy to get stressed if you take it too seriously. It's just a wood project. I mean, take it seriously, but not TOO seriously. Can't imagine being a full-time luthier! Scary. Even if it falls apart or breaks, it can make some cool wall art!

Hope those generalities help.

And definitely start the blog!

Oh, and the right tools definitely make a difference.
    Last edited by sbeishline; 03-28-2020 at 03:02 PM.

User Info Menu

Hey all - finally got to the end of the French polishing process and figured I'd post some pix of my guitar's current state (pre-pickguard/pickup electrification).

I did Tom Bill's The Art of French Polishing course on his Luthier's Edge website for the process, which went along these lines:

Shellac-only seal coats x 2
    Shellac/alcohol with pumice coats x 3
    Shellac/alcohol with EVOO x 1
    Shellac+walnut oil/alcohol with EVOO x 10
    Level sand with 1000 grit (dry)
    Shellac+walnut oil/alcohol with EVOO x 8
    Smooth sand with 3600 grit micromesh (with EVOO/mineral spirits)
    Shellac+walnut oil/alcohol with EVOO x 3

I had planned to do a buff coat using Novus #2, but I'm happy with the smoothness/shine as it is now, and I think I may skip this part.

Here she be:
    First-timer Archtop Build-img_8086-jpgFirst-timer Archtop Build-img_8087-jpgFirst-timer Archtop Build-img_8088-jpgFirst-timer Archtop Build-img_8089-jpgFirst-timer Archtop Build-img_8090-jpgFirst-timer Archtop Build-img_8091-jpgFirst-timer Archtop Build-img_8095-jpgFirst-timer Archtop Build-img_8098-jpg

Next step will be to stringing it up and see how she sounds acoustically.

User Info Menu

Oh my that baby is turning out to be quite lovely!

User Info Menu

That looks really nice ! The finish has so much depth, amazing ... tell me please : how does the "fiddle edge" of the top and back plates feel on your thigh and on your playing arm ?