Jazz Guitar
+ Reply to Thread
Posts 1 to 7 of 7

Must Read restauration of my d'Aquisto NY 18''

Hey guys,here is a link describing what happened to this guitar,and what I had to do

Resume restauration de la D'Aquisto.odt - Google Drive

2. # ADS
    The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

Interesting would love to have more details. Was the whole guitar refinished? We’re all the bindings wood that were replaced. Personally I would simply replaced all binding with new ABS plastic binding it will not deteriorate and would be to original specs. Did you have to do this on the binding around the headstock?

Finally to do this is basically like doing major surgery in an operating room. It would require a long time and delicate care and patience. I would love to give it a go but nothing yet has come up to require a request like that yet. The challenge is gluing the new binding on without hurting the finish if you are not refinishing the guitar. If refinishing it then not a problem. Using wood binding allows use of titebond glue to it is easy clean up. Plastic binding requires glue that would cause finish problems I would have to deal with that. All in all a cool but delicate repair to pull it off would be a true landmark of work.

love to hear a discussion on this.
    specializing in repair and setup, does your guitar play like it should?

The last paragraph seems to indicate that the guitar was refinished.
    All the varnished parts of the body and neck were removed in order to remake the finition in nitro-
    cellulose
    I'm assuming that 'finition' is finish. The translation is inexact, but the meaning mostly comes through.

Hi Mark!
    Yes,the whole guitar was refinished,it took 9 months.
    The binding was replaced everywhere: headstock,neck,body,F-holes.

I agree that plastic binding would be the original spec,but we choose a maple shlightly more aged than the guitar( beginning of the construction by D'Aquisto:december 26th 1989).This choice was approved by Laurence Wexer,the seller and by Steve Longobardi (QAman)

Mathieu Boulet,my luthier,work with Titebound glue.
    As the finish ot the guitar had to be done(polyamide diffusion in the wood),you understand that it is much more difficult to remove the binding on a already assembled guitar than on a guitar under construction.
    Particulary on the neck,where the plastic binding went under the neck,and on the F-holes,a real speleologic job!
    cheers
    EmilP

I'm assuming that 'finition' is finish. The translation is inexact, but the meaning mostly comes through.
    Sorry,English is not my mother language!
    EmilP

The restoration came out beautiful. My original advice to Emil was to address his crumbling binding issue with a reputable restoration expert - like Chris Mirabella.

As indicated by Emil - the guitar ultimately needed refinishing to remove the brown perimeter staining. I do not recall being involved with , or approving the use of wood binding in lieu of the original plastic.
    However, with that being said, and since the guitar needed a complete refinish, I think the wood binding was a prudent choice to plastic, and it will insure the longevity of the instrument.

Jim D’Aquisto - in his later years preferred the use of wood binding over plastic on most of his guitars, so it’s not unusual to have a D’Aquisto with wood binding. As for rebinding a D’Angelico , there would only be one choice ( plastic ) in my opinion - which was consistent with All D’Angelico’s.

Great job Emil and thanks for sharing .

No worries, EmilP. My only option for most languages is Google Translate, which is certainly inexact.

Join our Facebook Page

Get in Touch

Jazz Guitar eBooks
How To Get a Jazz Guitar Tone?
Privacy Policy

Follow us on:

Jazz Guitar Online on FacebookJazz Guitar Online on TwitterJazz Guitar Online on YoutubeJazz Guitar Online RSS Feed