Jazz Guitar
+ Reply to Thread
Posts 1 to 8 of 8

Removal of Wax on Potted Pickup Exterior?

Hi All,

I recently acquired a new Kent Armstrong floating pickup and it’s pretty well coated with potting wax including the mounting tab. It will be impossible to install the pickup with glue to the underside of the pickguard with wax on the pickup. Is there a way to safely remove the wax without compromising the pickup internal components and the finish?

Thanks,

Bill Eisele
    Last edited by Bill Eisele; 03-14-2019 at 08:31 PM.

2. # ADS
    The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

I generally use a toothpick and cloth, but you should be able to use some naphtha, mineral spirits, or Goo-Gone on a rag. I wouldn't douse the pickup in it, but a little on a rag wouldn't hurt anything.

Quote Originally Posted by sgosnell View Post
    I generally use a toothpick and cloth, but you should be able to use some naphtha, mineral spirits, or Goo-Gone on a rag. I wouldn't douse the pickup in it, but a little on a rag wouldn't hurt anything.
    Thanks! I have some naphtha on hand and will use some sparingly on a rag to clean it up.

hair dryer

Quote Originally Posted by ROCK1 View Post
    hair dryer
    exactly..a little heat

or leave your guitar in a sunny window for 1/2 hour

good for the wood too!! (within reason)

cheers

Heat alone won't remove the wax, it will just thin it down by a lot. If there is wax on the mounting tab, it needs to be removed by a solvent, or at least use of a lot of elbow grease. A solvent is the best way.

Thanks for everyone’s input. If there’s a thick coating of wax, a slight amount of heating could help with removal of most of the wax, but the final step will require the use of a solvent as sgosnell points out.

I finally got around to cleaning the wax off the Kent Armstrong pickup this afternoon. I first used a small amount of naphtha on a rag to clean the wax off the mounting tab. It did a great job of removing the wax which is important when trying to glue the pickup to the underside of the pickguard. But, it also removed the gloss sheen from the black paint (but also probably a good thing for adhesion). Because I didn’t want to remove the gloss sheen from the visible part of the pickup I just used a microfiber cloth by itself to remove the wax there and it also did a great job. So, the pickup is ready for mounting. Thanks all!

Join our Facebook Page

Get in Touch

Jazz Guitar eBooks
How To Get a Jazz Guitar Tone?
Privacy Policy

Follow us on:

Jazz Guitar Online on FacebookJazz Guitar Online on TwitterJazz Guitar Online on YoutubeJazz Guitar Online RSS Feed