Jazz Guitar
Likes Likes:  0
+ Reply to Thread
Posts 1 to 5 of 5

Wiring Quick Disconnect for Floating Pickup/Thumbwheel Pickguard Mount?

Hi All,

I’m wondering if anyone has found a reliable, easy to use quick disconnect for the wiring going from the output jack to the thumbwheels and floating pickup mounted to the underside of a pickguard. I have an Eastman Pagelli and would like to have two pickguards; one with a humbucker floater and one with a single coil floater. Then, switching from one pickup to another would just involve unscrewing the pickguard and disconnecting the wiring and doing the reverse to install the other pickup.

Thanks,

Bill Eisele

2. # ADS
    The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

I use 2.5mm jacks and plugs, from ebay. The soldering is a little tricky, because of the plastic insulation melting easily, but if you get the soldering done right, it works. They're like standard 1/8" connections, but a millimeter smaller. It's hard to find mono jacks, but stereo works fine if you wire it right. Mono plugs are common. Or if you don't mind a little bigger, standard 3.5mm/1/8" plugs and jacks are all over the place.

Quote Originally Posted by sgosnell View Post
    I use 2.5mm jacks and plugs, from ebay. The soldering is a little tricky, because of the plastic insulation melting easily, but if you get the soldering done right, it works. They're like standard 1/8" connections, but a millimeter smaller. It's hard to find mono jacks, but stereo works fine if you wire it right. Mono plugs are common. Or if you don't mind a little bigger, standard 3.5mm/1/8" plugs and jacks are all over the place.
    Thanks for the reply! Are these the mono jacks and plugs that you are referring to: 20pcs 2.5mm Connector Nickel Plated Mono Male Plug-Female Jack Audio Adapter | eBay?

10 pcs 2.5mm 3/32" Male MONO PLUG Plastic with STRAIN RELIEF BLACK Solder Type | eBay

20pcs Headphone 4 Pole 2.5mm Stereo Audio Female Jack Socket Connector Solder 711331447302 | eBay

I don't see any female connectors in the one you posted. The plug I use has somewhat softer plastic for the case, I think, which might reduce rattles, and has strain relief. You can attach the connection to the top or back if you prefer, using whatever adhesive you prefer - Velcro, BluTack, double-sided tape, whatever. Some heatshrink tubing on the female jack helps protect the connections.

Quote Originally Posted by sgosnell View Post
    10 pcs 2.5mm 3/32" Male MONO PLUG Plastic with STRAIN RELIEF BLACK Solder Type | eBay

20pcs Headphone 4 Pole 2.5mm Stereo Audio Female Jack Socket Connector Solder 711331447302 | eBay

I don't see any female connectors in the one you posted. The plug I use has somewhat softer plastic for the case, I think, which might reduce rattles, and has strain relief. You can attach the connection to the top or back if you prefer, using whatever adhesive you prefer - Velcro, BluTack, double-sided tape, whatever.
    Thanks! Will order and give it a go.

Join our Facebook Page

Get in Touch

Jazz Guitar eBooks
How To Get a Jazz Guitar Tone?
Privacy Policy

Follow us on:

Jazz Guitar Online on FacebookJazz Guitar Online on TwitterJazz Guitar Online on YoutubeJazz Guitar Online RSS Feed