The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Posts 26 to 31 of 31

User Info Menu

Well, I was basing the wire suggestion on having used it on a guitar that I had to repair after someone using one of my instruments managed to pull the plug out (he leaned it against an amp then tripped on the wire. The outside nut was close to the end and it stripped out). I just took a coat hanger, cut about an 8" section and put a 90° bend in the end, fished the end of the jack through the hole in the body, pulled it through and tightened a new nut on, over the coat hanger. I didn't try to hold the jack from the inside as it was possible to tighten it up without the barrel moving.

A long end-pin Jack looks somewhat more complicated than a regular Switchcraft as far as doing a new install (seeing as how I have limited skills other than being able to do my own setups, simple soldering and using a Dremel) so I wanted to make sure I was doing it correctly.

As far as trying both goes, yes, I found an end-pin jack that has a star compression ring that should hold it in place. I'll use the same piece of coat hanger I used to renew the nut on the Switchcraft.

That was just my experience, but I didn't mess up any wiring, so I'm confident this will work. Worst case, I take it to a luthier friend of mine, but I really would like to say I did this whole job myself, rather than hiring it out.

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

A standard jack won't work as an endpin, because the endblock is so thick. You have to use a specific endpin jack there. But I guess you could use a wire bent only a fraction of an inch instead of a 1/4" plug. Maybe a little tricky, but possible. I've always used hemostats to hold the jack, but it's always good to learn new ways of doing things.

User Info Menu

Yeah, what I figured I'd do is measure how deep into the block the jack receiver goes, set the inside nut at a depth that lets me get the outside nut on, put the 90° bent hanger into the inside of the receiver, pull everything through the block, slide the nut over the wire and into the jack and keep tension on the wire until I get a snug fit in the outside nut. Then I hope that the spring washer inside does its job over time.

Thanks for your advice, I'll let you know how it all comes out!

User Info Menu

Actually, I had forgotten exactly how an endpin is mounted. If you remove the end cap and expose the threads underneath, there is a hole in the side, through the threads, which is used for attaching a wire, string, or whatever, to get the jack through the endblock and hold it in place. There is nothing inside that I can find to hook a coat hanger onto. But the holes under the cap are there.

User Info Menu

Ok, that sounds great. The pin I'm thinking about ordering doesn't have an end cap, just a nut with a lock washer on the inside part, but I'll let you know how it all comes out. Again, thanks for thinking about this and advising me.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by sgosnell
    Perhaps I'm not comprehending everything being discussed. There is no hole through an endpin jack, and no room through a proper hole through the endblock to have anything except the jack go through it. You can only apply pressure from the inside, which is problematic because you will probably bend and perhaps break the clips where the cable is soldered. You can use a plug without the sleeve to pull the jack through, but it won't stand much pressure without pulling out. I am happy to be enlightened.
    Great point. In the spirit of trying to be helpful I wasn’t thinking clearly. I did indeed use a wire hanger bent to a “T”, but I did not use an end pin jack. I used a standard Switchcraft jack about 3 or 4 inches to the treble side of the lower bout. This was the best location for me when sitting, because it gave me flexibility to hold the neck high like a classical, so the jack would be pointing straight down, or pointing about 45° down and away if holding the guitar on my right leg.
    Last edited by zcostilla; 08-17-2020 at 01:19 PM.