Jazz Guitar
Learn how to play jazz guitar with our eBook bundle
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Bezel Buzz

Bezel Buzz

Hi guys, I know this topic has been covered many times, but I am long overdue for tackling what is probably bezel Buzz on my Eastman.
    I am determined to do it myself and am more than capable, but I love my Eastman and don't want to find myself making a mess of things.
    I am looking for advice on what to remove first, second, third etc and especially any pitfalls I should be cognisant of.
    All advice gratefully received.
    Aidan.

If by "bezel buzz" you mean buzzing of the pickup against the mounting ring, I would start by not removing anything. The easiest thing to try is raising the pickup slightly. Moving it in the ring, and applying more tension to the springs, can often help. If you can't stop it with height adjustments, try wedging something like a pick or sax/clarinet reed, or whatever you have available, between the pickup and the ring. That usually helps. If none of this stops the buzzing, try replacing the springs with rubber or silicone tubing, or even better, just get the right diameter tubing and put it over the springs, so that they're inside the tubing. Cut the tubing to the correct length, which is slightly shorter than the uncompressed springs. The ring should be held in place by 4 screws at the corners, and they should come out easily. Don't overtorque them when you replace them, or you can strip the wood in the top, which isn't the end of the world but is a pain in the ass. You may have problems replacing the two adjustment screws which hold the pickup in the ring and adjust the height. Stew-Mac sells a tool for that, but it's expensive. If the springs are so long and stiff that I have a lot of trouble, I usually just give up and cut the springs slightly shorter. I prefer not to, though.

Thanks for that Sgosnell,
    I appreciate your taking the time to give me a comprehensive list of instructions. Yes bezel Buzz is just what you suspected I meant...it could well be the springs, so I will go down that road first and report back later.
    Much obliged to you.
    Aidan.

Update...
    Having screwed down the humbucker height adjusting screws, thereby raising the pup nearer the strings, I set about testing each string at each fret for a balanced sound (rather than relying on set distances).
    The B string was hot, the G was weak. In short, it was down to pole piece adjustment to get an even sound.
    As there has been no buzzy harmonic mush since, it seems that the slack pup height adjusting screws may have been the source and thanks goes to Sgosnell for the advice.
    I am hearing quite a noticeable change in tone, but curiously, it seems to have become more acoustic by raising the pup.
    Hopefully that's the problem sorted out, but in any case an improvement has been made.
    Thanks again to Sgosnell for taking the time to impart some helpful advice.

It was the standard advice. And yes, pickup polepiece adjustment makes a difference. The polepiece under the b string always needs to be lower, and the one under the wound G needs to be higher. Usually the e needs to be raised also, and the E lowered, the rest somewhere in between. But it depends on the strings being used, and a change in string alloy may require another adjustment. That's why they're easily adjusted. Glad it was easy to sort it out. Sometimes buzzes can be very difficult to diagnose.

I hear your pain. What annoys me more even than the rattling of the pickup covers is the subtle metallic overtones pickup covers sometimes add to the notes. Some days it's worse than others. Also certainly more prominent in some frequencies than others. Once you start hearing that metallic overtone, you start hearing them even through the amp.
    I believe pickup covers are acoustically active, bell like objects. It's not enough to stop them from rattling, they need to be dampened. Wedging something between the pickup cover and pickup rings usually cures the rattle but the metallic overtones are usually still there. Sometimes they get worse.
    My latest discovery is to use a piece of pencil eraser as the wedging material. Those higher quality smooth rubber like erasers. The pressure is critical. Too little pressure, pickup covers still vibrate. Too much pressure, dampening effect is reduced, eraser becomes an efficient transmitter of vibrations. I cut a wedge or half wedge shape (one side flat) so the more I push the piece more pressure it applies to the covers. I experiment and find a position that works best. You can also play around with the covers angle by rocking it back and forth once the eraser putting enough friction on the cover.

Try some disposable foam earplugs cut to shape and size. But be careful, plastic pickup rings break rather easily.

Darn it... just lost a long reply!!! Start again!
    Hi Tal and Sgo.
    Not sure if I have managed to eliminate the bezel Buzz gremlin that inspired me starting this.... thought I detected a bit of what I will call, for the want of a more accurate description, harmonic mush (seems to occur when arpegiatting , or at least be more obvious when arpegiatting), again last night, but significant improvements have been achieved with adjustments so far.
    To quote Sgosnell "Sometimes buzzes can be very difficult to diagnose."
    As my pup bezel screws are obscured by the pickguard at the lower end, i would have to remove the guard. I may still have a bit of bezel Buzz.
    I am tempted to try and insert a bit of rubber glove cuff top (see picture) between bezel and pup ( with great care!), with the rolled edge topside. These are sometimes available in black which would be more aesthetically pleasing, but for the sake of determining the efficacy, yellow will do. This might be easier said than done, but will report back.
    Bye for now
    Attached Images Attached Images Bezel Buzz-img_20181201_092401060~3-jpg 

Quote Originally Posted by Aidan View Post
    This might be easier said than done, but will report back.
    FYI, you shouldn't need to disassemble the pickups for this. There is usually a bit of a wiggle room between the bezel and the pickup ring. You just insert the rubber piece in there. It should take only a few seconds. Piece doesn't have to cover the full length of the pickup to work. If you don't like it you can remove it just as easily. If it's easier you can even first try inserting a harder object like a (right sized) pick to see if it stops the buzz/rattling.
    Good luck.

it's very possible that something else is doing the buzzing, but it's impossible to diagnose from long distance. Make certain that each and every nut and screw on the entire guitar is tight. Not just finger tight, but really tight. Another possibility is that the wiring harness inside the guitar is buzzing against the back or the top. Depending on how the pickguard is mounted, it can vibrate against the guitar. If there is a tune-o-matic bridge, something on it can vibrate, especially if it has a wire clip. I've also found that some buzzes actually come from elsewhere, either the amp or something else in the room being vibrated by the amp. A thread on buzzes can be found here: Archtop and amp buzzes There are also other threads on the forum discussing buzzes, rattles, and strange noises. Good luck with finding the offending part. Try playing the guitar, fretting the note that seems to cause the worst buzz, and using your hand to deaden things immediately after picking/strumming. Sometimes you can find what's buzzing that way. If it's a pickup, your hand, with pressure, should stop the buzzing.

Thanks Sgo,
    It seems like all the possibilities have been covered, and the list will be referred to next time I get anything in the buzzing category. I need one of those dentist mirrors to check inside, but for the time being I think the pup height adjustment has taken care of at least one likely contributor.
    Will check out the amp and archtop buzz article as soon as I send this. I have noticed in the past, that the buzzing is just as prevalent if not more so, when I am unplugged so I don't think it's amp related, besides, not being a pro musician, I get by with a Yamaha THR amp, which suits me fine, I keep it on the clean channel with just a small amount of reverb.
    Ok let's see what the archtop buzz article has to offer.
    Happy playing Sgo????

Back again.
    Having checked out your other post on the subject, and especially in relation to other things buzzing in sympathy...
    Most hi-fi enthusiast's, or so I was told many years ago, will completely remove a second set of speakers from their listening environment, so as to eliminate the inclination to resonate in sympathy with those in use.

The list of possibilities is almost endless. Any loose screw or nut, anywhere on the guitar, can cause buzzing. The pickguard, tailpiece, truss rod cover can all buzz. The wires inside the guitar can buzz. And all can be intermittent. Sometimes it takes lots of patient checking, maybe hours. And that's just on the guitar, not at all addressing the rest of the house. Good luck in your search.

Join our Facebook Page

Get in Touch

Jazz Guitar eBooks
How To Get a Jazz Guitar Tone?
Privacy Policy

Follow us on:

Jazz Guitar Online on FacebookJazz Guitar Online on TwitterJazz Guitar Online on YoutubeJazz Guitar Online RSS Feed