The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Posts 26 to 28 of 28

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by pauln
    If your playing includes much above the 10th fret (basically, if you tend to play "all over the neck") then tuning may be further adjusted to account for the intonation variance stemming from the bigger strings being played further up the neck by using the "distributed E" tuning... using the open first string E as the reference (and continuously rechecking that it is correct), match the second string E at the 5th fret, third string E at the 9th fret, fourth string E at the 14th fret, fifth string E at the 19th fret, and the sixth string E at its 5th fret harmonic.
    Intonation starts with proper guitar neck design (fret placement, nut setup, bridge setup and adjustment, action, neck relief), correct string installation, correct tuning. I learned the Johnny Smith method from my guitar teacher in college and have been using it ever since. Sorry to post links to another forum, it is the only place I found a reprint to the article written by Johnny. He had to have an accurate tuning and intonation system as he was playing with orchestras, etc., in New York in the 40s and 50s.

The Johnny Smith Stringing & Tuning Method | MarkWeinGuitarLessons.com

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

I used that JS method for a while after that GP article first came out. Then I got lazy and went back to the 12th fret method.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Cunamara
    Intonation starts with proper guitar neck design (fret placement, nut setup, bridge setup and adjustment, action, neck relief), correct string installation, correct tuning. I learned the Johnny Smith method from my guitar teacher in college and have been using it ever since. Sorry to post links to another forum, it is the only place I found a reprint to the article written by Johnny. He had to have an accurate tuning and intonation system as he was playing with orchestras, etc., in New York in the 40s and 50s.

The Johnny Smith Stringing & Tuning Method | MarkWeinGuitarLessons.com
    Thanks, I was looking for this and lost it.