Brian Kingston

Benoit Lavoie

Maegan Wells

Linda Manzer

Dale Unger

Mirko Borghino

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Some look good and some look really ugly. Nothing stands out too much just on looks to me based on what I see.

User Info Menu

User Info Menu

Dale Unger's guitars sound and play great, FWIW.

User Info Menu

I like the look of some of those Brian Kingston guitars. Ken Parker has made several archtops that I would love to try.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Greentone
    Dale Unger's guitars sound and play great, FWIW.
    I agree. I have one of Dale’s guitars and it’s fabulous.
    Keith

User Info Menu

Looks like a fantastic showcase. Amazing photos!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by deacon Mark
    Some look good and some look really ugly. Nothing stands out too much just on looks to me based on what I see.

yep, agree..

like the look of the erich solomons, but who knows how they sound??

and the benoit lavoies..which have that vintage euro vibe

other than that. eh

underwhelmed...tho supportive!!! always

cheers

ps- (iim) great original post and pics..thanks!!!

User Info Menu

Some strange looking horns there. I don't see anything I really like.

User Info Menu

With a few exceptions most of these are intentionally "different". They're not trying to look like guitar XYZ. Just the opposite.

I call them "keepers", because while many are no doubt "good" to "fine" to "very fine" guitars, when it comes to resale it will likely (a) take longer to sell, and (b) result in a greater loss, or at least lower profit.

The simple truth is that things haven't changed very much in 60 years. Gibson, Fender, Martin, and few others will likely perform better in resale scenarios relative to others.

There are a few exceptions in the price stability arena for fine archtops of course, if one will/can wait for the buyer.

That said, I like:

the blue/green Pageli,
    the bass by Lavoie,
    the oval hole by Borghino.

User Info Menu

Thank you for the photos.

Verrrry interesting.

User Info Menu

Thanks for posting this, it's a nice treat.

User Info Menu

I guess I'm too much of a 'traditionalist' and, while not being an archtop player, I do have a great appreciation for them and the great builders (Gibson, D'Angelico, Benedetto, D'Aquisto, Stromberg, Campellone, etc.) who built them. That being said, if the look gets too far away from the classic L5 or 175 format, I lose interest in a heartbeat. Some of these guitars look like they were left out in the sun to melt - not sure why they were even built that way as it probably wouldn't have a marked influence on volume or tone - maybe just to be different as someone said.

User Info Menu

I'd love to try one of the Woody Pfifer guitars. Ronny Jordan just sounded so amazingly good playing a Pfifer.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Skip Ellis
    I guess I'm too much of a 'traditionalist' and, while not being an archtop player, I do have a great appreciation for them and the great builders (Gibson, D'Angelico, Benedetto, D'Aquisto, Stromberg, Campellone, etc.) who built them. That being said, if the look gets too far away from the classic L5 or 175 format, I lose interest in a heartbeat. Some of these guitars look like they were left out in the sun to melt - not sure why they were even built that way as it probably wouldn't have a marked influence on volume or tone - maybe just to be different as someone said.
    I look at those guitars and most of them just start right away getting farther from tradition. I am one who still finds the absolute joy in an archtop that stays within the standard parameters. Those with weird cutaways and bodies that are not symetrical will lose my attention right away.

When you look at the real success stories you see something in tradition yet move a step away from outright copy. When Jimmy D'aqusto made is Advant Garde and change the F holes it still was a hit with me. Not because he was Jimmy D' but that things were still basically the same with refinements. Much the same with John Monteleone and now Bryant Trenier.

A flat out copy done perfect can get a builder a good name and reputation but it does not always mean complete success. At some point it is nice to see the individual style breakthrough and reveal something better. Mark Campellone has done this with his guitars and his are very Gibson but also very Campellone. I personally am not a fan of sharp cutaways they take away the symetry my eyes like. Some really like them but at least they fall within the standard look.

When F holes start moving around and become anything else I begin to get skeptical. The stardard is still set and none of these guitars made with sound holes that are not traditional have not done much for me. The exception is Jimmy D and his design but again he keep them in "place." Jimmy's worked but he is the one who could manage this with this skills and knowledge.

Bill Hollenbeck made a guitar called Fluer-de-lis with not F hole but a fluer-de-li pattern in the lower bout treble side and upper bout bass side. It looked fine and sound good but was not the sound is traditional guitars got. He himself thought the sound was a bit too bright not one of his favorites. He did it for Martin Taylor and I not sure whatever happen to the guitar. I would like to get it I don't believe Martin has it anymore but unsure.

At some point it is hard to come up with anything new but that is the challenge. It is much like playing the guitar itself, especially jazz guitar, trying to find your own sound that works. To make and analogy between playing and building. At some point I like to simply here a nice melody, they do not get old even over the years. Just think of a tune like Beautiful Love. Nice melody and sometime I have no desire to mess with too much by playing too much. Same as with a guitar. Many times I just want to hear a fine acoustic sound like a Super 400 or L5, 4 bar rhythm or just comping a nice tune. Simple and straightforward.

User Info Menu

I liked most of them. A few were a bit too weird but for the most part I liked them...variety can be nice. I really liked the Comins oval hole. Thanks for posting the pics so we could sort of live vicariously.

User Info Menu

Thanks for posting Bob. It is always interesting to see where the art of the archtop is at present. That said, I echo the sentiments of Deacon Mark. Give me an archtop guitar built in the tradition. If it ain't broke, don't fix it.

User Info Menu

I don't understand why archtop makers feel they have to come up with unique designs. You don't see violin, cello, piano or horn makers try to "re-invent" the cosmetics of the instruments like it's a fashion show. And these instruments have been around for much longer than archtops and electric guitars have. It's the craft beer mentality I guess, like the way they try to stand out in the competition by excessive use of hops.
    All these "modern" designs are solutions to non existing problems in my opinion.

User Info Menu

Bob, Thanks for posting these pics. I look at these shows as kind of the custom car shows i.e. show what you can do. I for one like the differences and different approaches to archtop design. While not every one floats my boat I like that they tried. A world where every guitar was a L5 would be a dull world as far as I'm concerned.

By the way, were you able to check out Maegen Wells' guitars. As you have varied and in my opinion exquisite taste I'd be interested in your opinion or for that matter of any builder that stood out.

User Info Menu

Rob, no I unfortunately did not audition either of Maegen’s 15” guitars this time. My friend Ken however bought the purple guitar that she exhibited. In terms of archtops, I was able to audition some of Bill Comins, Linda Manzer and Erich Solomon’s guitars. There were some fantastic concerts and impromptu duets at parties in the evenings with Steve Herberman and Ted Ludwig (fantastic!).

Quote Originally Posted by rob taft
    Bob, Thanks for posting these pics. I look at these shows as kind of the custom car shows i.e. show what you can do. I for one like the differences and different approaches to archtop design. While not every one floats my boat I like that they tried. A world where every guitar was a L5 would be a dull world as far as I'm concerned.

By the way, were you able to check out Maegen Wells' guitars. As you have varied and in my opinion exquisite taste I'd be interested in your opinion or for that matter of any builder that stood out.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by rob taft

Fair enough. I guess I like tradition when it comes to instruments.
    Cars go though constant technological progress and their aesthetics change model after model to emphasize that. Not many believe instruments today are fundamentally superior to how they were made traditionally. That's why the cosmetic changes seem gimmicky to me. But again that's just my taste.
    L5? Actually a lot of archtops look like slight variations of the L5 design. Most Ibanez, Eastman, Guild etc. models retain L5's design features but come with varied size, depth, pickup configuration, carved vs laminate etc. Which is not dull to me as I really like the classic L5 looks.
    I certainly had fun looking at the pictures of these alternative designs though.

User Info Menu

Well that is interesting because I am not a car guy as such but give me a classic Corvette for style. Lots of cool stuff out there but I still like a nice Corvette.

I hope Hot Ford Coupe does not give me the business too.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by iim7V7IM7
    Rob, no I unfortunately did not audition either of Maegen’s 15” guitars time. My friend Ken however bought the purple guitar that she exhibited. In terms of archtops, I was able to audition some of Bill Comins, Linda Manzer and Erich Solomon’s guitars. There were some fantastic concerts and impromptu duets at parties in the evenings with Steve Herberman and Ted Ludwig (fantastic!).
    Bob, Thank you for your reply and for taking the time to post your photos.

User Info Menu

Thanks for posting these pictures. It is good to be reminded that, for all that the archtop guitar market is small compared to other types of guitars, we are still spoiled for choice at all levels. And shows like this are an opportunity for makers to see and hear what others are doing and to learn from these experiments to the benefit of all.

User Info Menu

I like the Manzer best

Woodstock Invitational Luthiers Showcase-44e32558-97a8-4564-bdf9-22d4e13949ea-jpeg