The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Posts 26 to 45 of 45

User Info Menu

Love it! Thanks for posting!

Is the fan what you mentioned above: 24.7 - 25.5?

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Thanks, Marc -- yep, 24.7 to 25.5.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Jehu
    Thanks, Marc -- yep, 24.7 to 25.5.
    Cool. I like the head-stock shape, too!

User Info Menu

My local luthier and favorite guitar tech guy makes these Model 7B-MS

Instruments for Sale — Beardsell Guitar Workshop

Will

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by WillMbCdn5

Will
    I've been attracted to Allan Beardsell's guitar for quite a while and came very close to purchasing a 3G model but came to the conclusion that I'm just not a flattop steel string lover. I'm in the archtop and nylon camp. That said, he makes some fantastic looking guitars that are outside the norms. As one who appreciates builder's who stray from the traditional archtop designs, I would love to try out one of his archtops or nylon strings.

User Info Menu

Can anyone pls post some links to audio that demonstrates the tonal differences that fanned frets provide? Ideally, the same person playing the same tune on the same make and model of axe, just with fanned vs standard fretboard...

I'm sure it's out there, prolly on the same server that has verified video of Bigfoot and chicken's teeth for purchase :-)

Seriously, though, unless as many variables as possible are eliminated, it seems like it would be hard to pin down exactly what the difference in sound would be. Maybe I'm clueless and it's totally obvious. Anyhoo, if all-y'all can post some links to examples of the glorious sound of fanned frets, that would be great!

My friend Google passed this along; IDK whether it is representative. It seems to underscore that lots of things, including personal preferences of the player for tone/pickups/amp can influence the sound:

Last edited by starjasmine; 10-12-2018 at 01:30 AM.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by rob taft
    I've been attracted to Allan Beardsell's guitar for quite a while and came very close to purchasing a 3G model but came to the conclusion that I'm just not a flattop steel string lover. I'm in the archtop and nylon camp. That said, he makes some fantastic looking guitars that are outside the norms. As one who appreciates builder's who stray from the traditional archtop designs, I would love to try out one of his archtops or nylon strings.
    Yeah Allan's guitars are art works that display the very best of the luthiers skills. Visually and through careful material combination choice I find his guitars have a wonderful balance that few other modern luthiers achieve. Custom bronze cast parts/handwound pickups etc Visiting his workshop is always a joy he was working on a harp guitar last time I was in He is also a delightful man and crazy knowledgeable . At the moment I can't afford a new custom guitar but he has been my go to for repair and maintenance on my 1951 Gibson Super 300 if he says fix it we fix it if he says let it be and go play we do that too)

Will

User Info Menu

People play fanned frets for many reasons. Some folks who play in DADGAD or other dropped tunings want the extra scale length on the bass strings. I have seen as much as 1” (25.4 mm) differentials. Others like myself, appreciate the subtle timbral enhancement of a smaller differential such as 1/4” - 1/2” (6.4 - 12.7 mm) in standard tuning.

I think the tonal enhancement while subtle, is clear when playing the instrument, but is unlikely to be captured in a Youtube video. The best way I can describe it is those of you who have played 24.9” and 25.4” scaled guitars. To my ear the shorter scale excels in the sweetness of their treble strings but are usually missing a bit in the power of the low E and A strings. A long scale has great power in the bass strings but lacks the timbral sweetness of a short scale.

A multi-scale (the term fan fret is owned by Novax) can offer the best of both worlds. While the slanted frets look like they will be difficult to adjust to when playing, they actually are easy to get used to. It really takes a few minutes and you forget it.

My $.02

User Info Menu

There is good info from The Man (including a highly technical lecture).

I had the opportunity to rehearse (and later perform) with one of the first-call bassists in my area a while back. After we ended a tune, he stopped and looked at my Novax, and said, "Man, that is one of the clearest guitars I've ever heard!" I pointed to my amp, "You mean a clean sound?" "No," he said, "the guitar -- I can hear every note in the chords!" Although anecdotal, it supports Novak's discussion.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by WillMbCdn5

Will
    Wow, stunning guitars! I've actually thought that a CC would work well on mine as well. On this one it would need to be a floater or non-routed mount, but maybe on a future build I will adjust the bracing for an inset CC.

User Info Menu

It has been a very busy week so apart from a bit of work on the body forms, no exciting pics to share at the moment, folks.

My wife and I brought home a new apprentice late last week, and she's adorable.

User Info Menu

My wife and I brought home a new apprentice late last week, and she's adorable. [/QUOTE]

CONGRATULATIONS!

User Info Menu

Hey, thanks Albert!

I must say that so far she is not great at sweeping floors, but I guess I'll keep her around.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by iim7V7IM7
    Some folks who play in DADGAD or other dropped tunings want the extra scale length on the bass strings.
    This is why I purchased a Greenfield flattop with a 1" differential. The effect really shows up in this tuning. The basses are cavernous.

Cincy
    Attached Images Attached Images How About a Fanned Fret Archtop?-20180421_093558-jpg 

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Cincy2
    This is why I purchased a Greenfield flattop with a 1" differential. The effect really shows up in this tuning. The basses are cavernous.
    Beauty! I like the rosette and dual bevels.

User Info Menu

Well this one took a while!

This build spent a VERY long time on the back burner as more pressing projects (and job, commute, parenting, etc.) demanded my attention. But at long last I made the final push and slapped some strings on this bad boy.
    How About a Fanned Fret Archtop?-dsc_0249-jpg
    How About a Fanned Fret Archtop?-dsc_0224-jpg
    How About a Fanned Fret Archtop?-dsc_0250-jpg
    How About a Fanned Fret Archtop?-dsc_0217-jpg
    How About a Fanned Fret Archtop?-dsc_0209-jpg

It ain't perfect by any stretch, but it was a fun experiment, and damn it, it's done. It still has quite a bit of opening up to do as I haven't really had a chance to play it in, but so far I think I accomplished my goal of somewhat sweeter trebles and a snappier bass (as compared to my previous builds).

It's somewhat lacking in the bass range, largely owing to the smaller (15" x 2.25") body size. I think it will make a very nice electric hollowbody with a floater installed. The multiscale, after a few minutes of adjustment, is very comfortable and is almost unnoticeable after a short time of playing. I didn't quite accomplish a straight string pull at the headstock... so close!

I'm chalking this up as a success, and moving on!

User Info Menu

Congratulations Jehu!! Expect a call from a very well known collector. I just texted this thread to the bat phone.

User Info Menu

Jehu is a KIWI; he needs nothing more than that in his DNA to explore, experiment and push boundaries. This is where all innovation comes from, as an Aussie I salute and admire him.

Best wishes

TLB

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by thelostboss
    Jehu is a KIWI; he needs nothing more than that in his DNA to explore, experiment and push boundaries. This is where all innovation comes from, as an Aussie I salute and admire him.

Best wishes

TLB
    Thanks, TLB... but do I lose points if I'm an ex-pat Canadian?

User Info Menu

Hi all,

2 years later, still hard to find.

Here is what I ve found:

The beardsell:

Model 7B — Beardsell Guitar Workshop

How About a Fanned Fret Archtop?-screenshot_2021-08-13-model-7b-beardsell-guitar-workshop-png

The HG u7 carved top but not a real archtop:

Universal 7 — Hybrid Guitars Co.

How About a Fanned Fret Archtop?-u7-carved-5-33-jpg

The LHT but weird shape and not really archtop:

LHT Guitars -NL-8: headless, multi scale, 8 string hybrid guitar

How About a Fanned Fret Archtop?-downneck-jpg

Does anyone know who owns the Koll RE7 ?

How About a Fanned Fret Archtop?-koll-re7-archtop-jpg