The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Posts 1 to 13 of 13

User Info Menu

So, what's the difference between these two L5 models?

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

An inch of body depth (CT=cutaway thinline)....

Thanks, quick look through the Gibson stats I didn't catch that.

Love the acronyms. So, CES is cutaway electronics ... or ... hmmm ?

User Info Menu

Cutaway Electric Spanish.

Of course! Lol

"Spanish" ... meaning ... ?

Neil

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by R Neil
    Of course! Lol

"Spanish" ... meaning ... ?

Neil

Meaning not Hawaiian.

Danny W.

User Info Menu

Once what we know as the guitar was known as the "Spanish guitar". The lap steel was the Hawaiian guitar, either electric or acoustic. Back in the dim mists of time before the Les Paul.

Thanks. This has been a fascinating data acquisition thread. History is always interesting to me.

User Info Menu

The CES may be better acoustically, the CT is less prone for feedback and is in my opinion way more comfortable to play. Love my CT.

My Lyle is an interesting mashup of an L5 body size but laminated and with the 24.75" scale of the ES175.

I can easily see where the thinner body would be easier on the shoulder. Would be fun to try of course!

User Info Menu

The thinner CT model can indeed be more comfortable for some players but you will definitely experience a difference in sound :
    the deep version has a more balanced tone, i.e. the bass is round, deep and woolly , the mids are present and you control the highs with your tone knob. The CT model has a noticeably reduced bass response which can be of advantage on a loud and/or crowded stage. These are also very scarce and usually cost more....

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by sgosnell
    Once what we know as the guitar was known as the "Spanish guitar". The lap steel was the Hawaiian guitar, either electric or acoustic. Back in the dim mists of time before the Les Paul.
    That makes sense! I didn't know that. Now, when I think "Hawaiian" I just think pizza

EDIT: I played a blonde ES-175 THINLINE (I don't remember the designation -- CT?) in the 70s, in a music store. It was a sweet guitar if you want those specs. Probably rare today.

EDIT EDIT: ES-175T. ES-175T vs ES-175?

User Info Menu

Here’s how a CT sounds with a little bit of drive from the Tubes.