The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Posts 1 to 19 of 19

User Info Menu

Hi All,

I've just created a new site for Ken Parker and his archtops. Please let me know what you think.

Ken Parker-kenfretboardjournal2-jpg

Ken Parker Archtops

Bob

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Very nice!

User Info Menu

From my limited experience, he is a very nice guy too. I asked him if he would ever contemplate licensing his design to make them more affordable for, well, for me! He declined, but did say that if I could make it to the US to record an album, he would loan me "Lucky" for the session.

Nice website.

User Info Menu

Deliciously sonic website—promoting the KP tone through the fingers of varied players. Thank you for the good work there. Would love to see a player of the female jazz persuasion added to this little pantheon. Maybe Ken could put one in the hands of Mimi Fox or Sheryl Bailey or Mary Halvorsen or....?

An old family friend, Dave Acker, is featured on a number of cuts, glad to hear him there—I remember him telling me about it a few years back. Dave is most comfortable with a classical guitar, but Ive seen him on Oregon home visits playing duos/trios with a 330 or a Strat.

The video of Tommy Emmanuel being handed a Parker is priceless—“It’s a gypsy jazz guitar that’s actually playable,” he says to Martin Taylor after a minute or two of playtime.

User Info Menu

Great video with Martin and Tommy... Tommy must say "wow" about 100 times..
    Better still, while Martin is playing it, Tommy is drooling and fondling it...

What a great endorsement for Ken.. Great work!!

User Info Menu

Nice website. Not sure why Ken Parker needs it. It's not like someone with $30,000 to spend on an archtop is going to discover his guitars because they happen to be cruising the Internet. But as far as a luthier website goes, you did a nice job.

User Info Menu

I can’t even afford to view his website.

Can’t see many working guitarists taking one of those to
    a bar gig.
    I sometimes shudder when I see Peter Bernstein casually put his
    Zeidler on the piano at Smalls or Pasquale Grasso lean his
    Trenier against the wall at Mezzrow.....
    Those Parkers look pretty fragile... you’d be freaking out
    in case you hit that 6 a side head stock on something
    or if someone might knock it over or sit on it......
    Whew.....I’m relieved they are unattainable (and frankly
    unappealing) to me.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by rlrhett
    Nice website. Not sure why Ken Parker needs it. It's not like someone with $30,000 to spend on an archtop is going to discover his guitars because they happen to be cruising the Internet. But as far as a luthier website goes, you did a nice job.
    Thanks. I do it as a labor of love for a very old and dear friend. Ken often uses it as reference for folks who want to see or have questions about his guitars. He’ll point them to specific photo sets or audio/video clips. But even people who can afford his guitars do encounter the website when they’ve heard about them and want to take that initial step in anonymously seeing what they are all about.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Moonray

a bar gig.
    unappealing) to me.
    There are a few working guitarists out there who’ve played Ken’s guitars, fallen in love, sold all their other instruments, and pulled the trigger. As far as fragility, the neck is completely reinforced with carbon fiber and is tough and stable - so much so that the guitar requires no truss rod. As far as style, to each their own. For myself, no I can’t afford one, but I take advantage of Ken’s offer to loan his personal guitar, Lucky, to musicians for recordings, so I get to play them from time to time. And he comes to visit every couple of years and brings a guitar or two. As I said in my previous post, I’ve known Ken since 1973 in Rochester, NY and remember him building his first Archtop guitar, so I do this as a labor of love. The guitars are remarkably sturdy for weighing 3.5 lbs or so. And they are the most responsive guitars you’d ever get your hands on. Not trying to sell you - just trying to address some concerns you had in your post. I’m 64 and doubt I’ll ever be able to own one of these. I am trying to ease into some form of retirement. But I am glad I get to help Ken get the word out. For what they are, they’re worth every penny. But that’s something that really comes down to whether it’s something that’s worth that penny to a specific person.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Moonray

a bar gig.
    unappealing) to me.
    I just read that someone stole a guy's Victor Baker guitar at Small's. Damage isn't the only thing you have to worry about...

User Info Menu

Coryell played them for a while if I remember correctly.

User Info Menu

Coryell's Parker had very little to do with these though...

Still cool guitars, though.

User Info Menu

pretty sure larry hooked up with parker guitars after ken parker sold his company tradename in 2002...

cheers

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by uburoibob
    Hi All,
    I've just created a new site for Ken Parker and his archtops. Please let me know what you think.
    Bob
    The website is an improvement over the prior one. It does a better job outlining the value proposition of Ken’s guitars. Areas for improvement? Like other custom luthiers, Ken should be up front about his base pricing, payment terms, time for delivery and some potential options.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Jazzstdnt
    Coryell played them for a while if I remember correctly.
    Larry did play a couple of Ken’s new archtops in a couple of shows a few years back. The owners of the guitars loaned them to Larry to play. He sounded great on them. Somewhere on my hard drive, I think I have video. If I can find it, I’ll add it to the site. Thanks for the memory jog!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by iim7V7IM7
    The website is an improvement over the prior one. It does a better job outlining the value proposition of Ken’s guitars. Areas for improvement? Like other custom luthiers, Ken should be up front about his base pricing, payment terms, time for delivery and some potential options.
    Thanks for the constructive criticism. I’ll pass it onto Ken.

User Info Menu

I will mention it to him when I see him at the show on Friday as well...

Thanks for the constructive criticism. I’ll pass it onto Ken.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by iim7V7IM7
    I will mention it to him when I see him at the show on Friday as well...
    I do wish I could make it this year. My grandson’s third birthday party is that weekend. Hope you have a blast! While in Ken’s booth, check out what our buddy Bob Palmieri from Duneland Labs is doing with pickups. He designed and builds the ones for Ken’s guitars. And the stuff he’s doing with humbuckers is outta this world. Literally like nothing you’ve heard - in the best possible way.

User Info Menu

Will do...I always make it a point to stop by Ken’s table...

I do wish I could make it this year. My grandson’s third birthday party is that weekend. Hope you have a blast! While in Ken’s booth, check out what our buddy Bob Palmieri from Duneland Labs is doing with pickups. He designed and builds the ones for Ken’s guitars. And the stuff he’s doing with humbucker is outta this world. Literally like nothing you’ve heard - in the best possible way.