The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Posts 1 to 24 of 24

User Info Menu

I got this guitar, I like the way it sounds, but it's finished in a transparent red, cherry-like poly finish and an ugly photo-flame top. I was thinking about refinishing it in shellac, but then again, I like the neck, and it's already on the thin side. Also, I like the idea of the indestructibility of the finish on the neck. On the other side, a shellac finish can easily be redone if need be. The main reason I would like to use shellac is because it's harmless, it looks good, and some people say it would improve the sound. So my question is, do you believe it would make a difference? The guitar is solid body, but I believe it's heavily weight relieved, because when I tap on it, it sounds hollow on the most part of it, and it definitely sounds different than my other solid body guitars.

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

How do you plan to remove the existing finish?

That is a significant part of the project.

Well, razor and sanding. It has binding on the neck and the body, and I wouldn't like to ruin that with a torch. Chemical stuff is out of question.

User Info Menu

I think it's a bad idea. Poly is very hard and the moment you hit wood in one area of the removal, it's take out the wood really fast; a lot faster than the surrounding poly finish.
    Shellac can get tacky in humidity, and check it for reaction with your sweat. I wouldn't expect it to improve the sound, it's not the vibrations of a thin acoustic top we're talking about.

But if you look hard enough on the web, you'll find some that'll think it's a good idea and they'll have ideas of how you might do it. I just know from experience that removing poly is a VERY tough thing to do. Your body wood is made up of thin plies of wood laminated together. Once you've breached the top veneer, it's gonna be butt ugly.
    But that's my opinion.

Hope it turns out well
    David

User Info Menu

It is a little early for April Fool's Day, aleksandar.

User Info Menu

Perhaps there's a better way to spend many hours of your time ?

User Info Menu

David,

I really wonder about all these inquiries. There is often rash of “yes, do it, it will be wonderful” responses yet essentiallly zero follow up with a happy result.

I assume that you and I have both had to make some repairs work that required some work on polyester and polyurethane finishes. It can be a remarkable adventure.

(and now we might get a link to a Dan Erlewine how-to vid from someone who have never actually pulled off such a repair)

In 1978 I came home to a remarkable smell in the basement. The bass player had decided to re-finish his bass solid body and was frustrated by sanding, so he started burning the finish off.

The effect was notable.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by TruthHertz
    I think it's a bad idea. Poly is very hard and the moment you hit wood in one area of the removal, it's take out the wood really fast; a lot faster than the surrounding poly finish.
    Shellac can get tacky in humidity, and check it for reaction with your sweat. I wouldn't expect it to improve the sound, it's not the vibrations of a thin acoustic top we're talking about.

But if you look hard enough on the web, you'll find some that'll think it's a good idea and they'll have ideas of how you might do it. I just know from experience that removing poly is a VERY tough thing to do. Your body wood is made up of thin plies of wood laminated together. Once you've breached the top veneer, it's gonna be butt ugly.
    But that's my opinion.

Hope it turns out well
    David
    I tried this with my MiM Tele. I sanded off all of the Poly and it went well. However I messed up the first coat of my new finish and when sanding that out I sanded through the top veneer. Scrapped the body because of that - it is extremely thin and easy to mess up.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by ptchristopher3
    David,

I really wonder about all these inquiries. There is often rash of “yes, do it, it will be wonderful” responses yet essentiallly zero follow up with a happy result.

I assume that you and I have both had to make some repairs work that required some work on polyester and polyurethane finishes. It can be a remarkable adventure.

In 1978 I came home to a remarkable smell in the basement. The bass player had decided to re-finish his bass solid body and was frustrated by sanding, so he started burning the finish off.

The effect was notable.
    Adventure? Adventure is not usually something that involves endless swearing and cursing.
    Refinishing poly.... I'll only say my "miraculous and hopeless projects" bin is full of heartbreak and cast offs from people who tried to refinish poly.
    Those are a primary reason I have a right of outright refusal policy.
    David

User Info Menu

Oh, well, why not?

User Info Menu

Great, so let’s see the full video of someone removing the entire finish from an instrument this way. I can fast forward as needed, so do not edit, just go to it.

User Info Menu

Loved the special clamping method for fine guitars. I am sure this was meant well by the guy on YouTube but really,...

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by ptchristopher3
    Loved the special clamping method for fine guitars. I am sure this was meant well by the guy on YouTube but really,...
    "I do pretty much anything that anyone wants here in St Louis."

User Info Menu

Sanding through a fotoflame ... not good juju there.

The technique I've heard, never done, is warming and peeling the poly. Sure wouldn't want to try it myself.

If you like the way it sounds, make your peace with the way it looks, I say.

User Info Menu

That video is great. The stuff blisters, and coagulates instantly, it curls, burns, smokes, and the bindings melt, the wood burns and there's semi melted globs of god knows what stuck in everiy curve you can't reach. Yeah, more power to him. Also, all polys are not created equally. Some places will come off like butter and other patches will resist until you pass out from the fumes. AND on a arch top, that putty knife is NOT going to be very helpful.
    But it's easy enough for me, on my sofa. In my mind I see it clearly. It's REAL easy. Yeah, no problem at all.

David

Quote Originally Posted by aleksandar
    I got this guitar, I like the way it sounds, but it's finished in a transparent red, cherry-like poly finish and an ugly photo-flame top. I was thinking about refinishing it in shellac, but then again, I like the neck, and it's already on the thin side. Also, I like the idea of the indestructibility of the finish on the neck. On the other side, a shellac finish can easily be redone if need be. The main reason I would like to use shellac is because it's harmless, it looks good, and some people say it would improve the sound. So my question is, do you believe it would make a difference? The guitar is solid body, but I believe it's heavily weight relieved, because when I tap on it, it sounds hollow on the most part of it, and it definitely sounds different than my other solid body guitars.
    I already did this job on my archtop. Shellac does feel better but it's a lot of work and there is always the risk of breaking your guitar, but it is possible.

Ibanez refinish project
    Last edited by hans halmackenreuter; 03-24-2018 at 06:25 AM.

User Info Menu

Nicely done Hans. And you know as well as anyone just how much time it takes and what care is needed in many places.
    Last edited by ptchristopher3; 03-23-2018 at 10:33 PM. Reason: Spelling

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Woody Sound
    "I do pretty much anything that anyone wants here in St Louis."
    Now watch out, we will be advised that obscure finish sanders who make fun of this guy “make fools of themselves”.

Quote Originally Posted by hans halmackenreuter
    I already did this job on my archtop. Shellac does feel better but it's a lot of work and there is always the risk of breaking your guitar, but it is possible.

Ibanez refinish project
    Great job! Did it improve the sound? And you say it feels better - how? And how does the neck finish hold over time?

User Info Menu

Hofner Canada Custom Shop Gareth Parry Model Verythin Classic #1 and #2(action shot), in reliced catalyzed polyester:
    Attached Images Attached Images Hesitating about refinishing a guitar-hof-verythin-classic-gp-model_3925-jpg Hesitating about refinishing a guitar-hof-can-custom-gp-vth-classic2-jpg 

Quote Originally Posted by aleksandar
    Great job! Did it improve the sound? And you say it feels better - how? And how does the neck finish hold over time?
    Thank You! I don't think there was a real improvement in sound but I was already satisfied with the sound in the first place (Changed PU, tailpiece and nut). The thick finish was kind of disturbing on the neck and now with shellac it doesn't feel sticky any more. I do get sweaty fingers but so far I didn't notice any damages. It also feels better if the body gets in contact with your naked underarm (e.g. if one wears a T-shirt).

User Info Menu

Skip to 3:10 ...

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Brubra

Skip to 3:10 ...
    Niiiiiice! And it's even better with poly! Thanks for posting that! I'm sold. I'm gonna refinish the in-law's grand piano this weekend. Easy Peezy!

David

User Info Menu

removing the poly finish on a solid body guitar and replacing it with shellac will not improve any tone that is amplified IMO. You would also be causing more environmental damage by stripping it than just leaving it where it is.