The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Posts 1 to 22 of 22

User Info Menu

Greetings!

I want to make some pickup/pot changes to my Eastman AR610ce. This instrument uses a floating pickup and thumbwheel pots mounted to the fingerrest/pickguard. I'd like to preserve the current setup and just build a new setup on a replacement fingerrest/pickguard and splice it into the existing wiring that runs to the to the plug, grounding etc.

To do this and maintain the look of the instrument I need to find another Rosewood fingerrest/pickguard. I know sources like StewartMacdonald offer the Benedetto but this is just offered in ebony.

Does anyone know of a source of such a fingerrest/pickguard?

Thanks!

guido

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Try ordering one through your local/closest Eastman dealer. I've purchased a couple of tailpieces that way.

User Info Menu

Unfortunately I have had less than stellar response on this from the dealer I got a couple of Eastmans from. I'd concluded they weren't available from Eastman. I guess I should try another dealer!

Thanks!

User Info Menu

Rosewood is becoming problematic. You might want to try another species that looks similar.

User Info Menu

I would be completely open to a substitute. But the available ebony would clash a bit with the antique violin finish and rosewood fingerboard... Suggestions?

User Info Menu

Take a look on Etsy, and other online sites, even ebay. Pau ferro and other species seem to be available from time to time, if you have sufficient coinage. I haven't looked lately, though.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by guido5
    I would be completely open to a substitute. But the available ebony would clash a bit with the antique violin finish and rosewood fingerboard... Suggestions?
    Rosewood as a part of an instrument is only a problem when it comes time to send it across a border. If you are looking for a replacement for Rosewood I would suggest you have a look at Macacauba or Macawood, a dense hardwood from Brazil that looks very much like Rosewood. The finger rest is no problem to make but fitting it to your guitar can be a bit of a chore as all the alignment depends on the angles cut into the mounting block.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Matt Cushman
    Rosewood as a part of an instrument is only a problem when it comes time to send it across a border. If you are looking for a replacement for Rosewood I would suggest you have a look at Macacauba or Macawood, a dense hardwood from Brazil that looks very much like Rosewood. The finger rest is no problem to make but fitting it to your guitar can be a bit of a chore as all the alignment depends on the angles cut into the mounting block.
    Hi Matt! Thanks for this. I'll look for Macawood.

Yes I am planning to start by copying the current mounting block angles and height of the felt block that supports it on the other end. But I know there will be some fiddling to get it to get everything where it should be...

guido

User Info Menu

Black really isn't bad looking. The celluloid pickguard on my old Epiphone was badly warped, and wouldn't straighten via the usual heating methods, so I made a replacement. I had no ebony, but I did have some maple on hand, so I made it from maple, and used black dye to sort of simulate ebony. It has a rosewood fingerboard and bridge, but the black pickguard doesn't look all that bad, to my eye. And most ebony isn't all that black in the raw anyway, it can be pretty streaky, and most of what you see on guitars has been dyed, including fretboards and everything else. But aesthetics can be important, and if you really hate the darker wood on your guitar, then brown should be available somewhere. Actually, my comment about rosewood being problematic was more about the moral issue than the economic availability. The indiscriminate use of both ebony and rosewood is something that I think should be avoided, but certainly not everyone agrees.

User Info Menu

I too share your concerns about what the wood in our instruments is doing to the environment and the world... And your tips on a sustainable cosmetic consistent replacement are deeply appreciated!

User Info Menu

Maybe you could stain/finish this to match? One board would give you plenty of extra room to test colors.

Walnut by the Piece-1/8" Thickness | Rockler Woodworking and Hardware

User Info Menu

Yes that certainly is one approach. Walnut would be pretty! But I was hoping to leave the great majority of the wood working/finishing parts of the project to a professional...

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Woody Sound
    Maybe you could stain/finish this to match? One board would give you plenty of extra room to test colors.

Walnut by the Piece-1/8" Thickness | Rockler Woodworking and Hardware
    Sorry, they also have rosewood.

Bolivian Rosewood by the Piece-1/8" Thickness | Rockler Woodworking and Hardware

User Info Menu

Woody, I think you misunderstand. I think he's looking for a finished pickguard, not the raw materials for one.

User Info Menu

If you put "archtop guitar pickguard" into the Etsy search box, there are several rosewood models. Many are very elaborately inlaid, but plain are also available. I don't know if any will fit your Eastman, but you can ask, I suppose.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by sgosnell
    If you put "archtop guitar pickguard" into the Etsy search box, there are several rosewood models. Many are very elaborately inlaid, but plain are also available. I don't know if any will fit your Eastman, but you can ask, I suppose.
    Cool tip! I hadn't been to etsy before.

You are right though. I'd prefer to get a finished pickguard. I may need to play with fit on what i get but I'd like to start with the funk of woodworking/finishing complete!

I really appreciate folks digging for solutions for me!

User Info Menu

Woody, I think you misunderstand. I think he's looking for a finished pickguard, not the raw materials for one.
    Ah, sorry, I did misunderstand. I am by no means a luthier or experienced woodworker, but I have made a few nice ones from blanks with just a saw and bench grinder.
    Last edited by Woody Sound; 03-19-2018 at 04:22 PM.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Woody Sound
    Ah, sorry, I did misunderstand. I am by no means a luthier or experience woodworker, but I have made a few nice ones from blanks with just a saw and bench grinder.
    No need to apologize for your kindness!

User Info Menu

It's not hard to make a plain pickguard from wood, but it does require time, tools, and woodworking skills, and not everyone has all those available, or at least may not be prepared to use all of them. No shame in not having any or all.

User Info Menu

The primary reason that rosewood and ebony are used for the fingerest is that no finish is needed. Both are also used for the fingerboard for the same reason. Ebony and rosewood are both oily woods that wear well without finish. Ebony is harder and will polish a bit better than its rosewood counterpart. I happen to love the feel of naked ebony under my fingers!

User Info Menu

It's not hard to make a plain pickguard from wood, but it does require time, tools, and woodworking skills, and not everyone has all those available, or at least may not be prepared to use all of them. No shame in not having any or all.
    I have spent the last 4 months single single handedly finishing my basement. It has sucked all interest in wood projects right out of me...

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Matt Cushman
    The primary reason that rosewood and ebony are used for the fingerest is that no finish is needed. Both are also used for the fingerboard for the same reason. Ebony and rosewood are both oily woods that wear well without finish. Ebony is harder and will polish a bit better than its rosewood counterpart. I happen to love the feel of naked ebony under my fingers!
    They do feel quite amazing! Almost makes me want to develop the habit of anchoring a finger or two there. Almost... I'll stick to the fingerboard!