Jazz Guitar
Learn how to play jazz guitar with our eBook bundle
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Carved archtop

thanks..good stuff...also gives you a preview of how beautiful that outside spruce top is going to look!! hah

cheers

I started a batch of 6 archtop necks a while back. I often build in batches and decorate the headstock and fingerboard on an individual basis. Carved archtop-p1010024-jpgCarved archtop-p1010004-jpgCarved archtop-p1010009-jpgCarved archtop-p1010016-jpg
    I thought I would have some fun with this build and cut out some some intricately shaped pieces of extra colorful and well figured M O P shell.Carved archtop-p1010022-jpgCarved archtop-p1010007-jpg

Nice work, Matt!
    Best regards, k

as always, beautiful workmanship and materials!! well done matt c

cheers

ps- double bound multi ply headstock binding is super nice touch!
    Last edited by neatomic; 05-07-2018 at 10:01 PM.

Matt, a question regarding the soundport which i believe is mainly for the player to hear himself better:
    Does it alter the sound of the guitar for an audience who is sitting in front / does it change to the volume of the guitar heard at the audience side?
    _________
    JazzNote

Quote Originally Posted by citizenk74 View Post
    Nice work, Matt!
    Thanks K !
    Quote Originally Posted by neatomic View Post
    as always, beautiful workmanship and materials!! well done matt c

cheers

ps- double bound multi ply headstock binding is super nice touch!
    Thanks neatomic! I bound the body with an extra thick bind to match. I will post some photos soon.
    Quote Originally Posted by JazzNote View Post
    Matt, a question regarding the soundport which i believe is mainly for the player to hear himself better:
    Does it alter the sound of the guitar for an audience who is sitting in front / does it change to the volume of the guitar heard at the audience side?
    That is a good question Jazz Note. This build is an experiment which will hopefully provide the answer to your questions. From what I have read, the sound port helps the player hear better without reducing the projection. I can say the box has a very strong tap tone. I can tell from the tap that this is sure to be a loud archtop.

Very nice!

Quote Originally Posted by plasticpigeon View Post
    Very nice!
    Thanks! plasticpigeon.

I thought I had better post a few pics in the white in case anyone was wondering what happened with this build. She has been sitting around waiting for me to get on with the finishing process. I got side tracked with some summer fun!
    Carved archtop-p1010001-jpgCarved archtop-p1010002-jpgCarved archtop-p1010012-jpgCarved archtop-p1010021-jpgCarved archtop-p1010025-jpgCarved archtop-p1010027-jpg

Matt your work is beautiful! Hollenbeck would string his guitar up and play it for usually 2 weeks before applying any finish. I assume you do this same? In some cases he would wait till the weather was perfect for nitro and the guitar might be strung up for even a month.
    specializing in repair and setup, does your guitar play like it should?

Quote Originally Posted by deacon Mark View Post
    Matt your work is beautiful! Hollenbeck would string his guitar up and play it for usually 2 weeks before applying any finish. I assume you do this same? In some cases he would wait till the weather was perfect for nitro and the guitar might be strung up for even a month.
    Thanks Mark! I have strung up unfinished instruments in the past but I haven't been doing that lately. I do some testing using tuning forks to check for any wolf notes before finishing but I don't string them up anymore. I use shellac under hybrid alkyd varnish to finish so the wait time for curing is only 7 days. The varnish is tough as nails and outdoor rated and the best part about it is it does not continue to shrink like nitro does.

Very nice!

So you are not doing nitro finishes? I have to have a discussion with you about that because finishing work is one of my downfalls. I just have not dived into the mix yet. Lots of options and opinions.
    specializing in repair and setup, does your guitar play like it should?

Quote Originally Posted by Bluedawg View Post
    Very nice!
    Thanks Bluedawg!

Quote Originally Posted by deacon Mark View Post
    So you are not doing nitro finishes? I have to have a discussion with you about that because finishing work is one of my downfalls. I just have not dived into the mix yet. Lots of options and opinions.
    I only used nitro on 1 partscaster back in the 90s. After that I tried a variety of waterborne lacquers that were offered by Stew Mac and LMI. Most of these finishes were similar but would vary slightly in color. I don't remember when I started using the hybrid varnish but it was about 12 years ago. The varnish is very hard so it polishes to a very high luster. Getting good results is a bit labor intensive as it goes on thin and many coats are needed for a good result. I always use shellac under the varnish to provide an extra hard and durable base for the varnish. There is a learning curve with applying the finish but overall it is very forgiving and easily repaired. The main downside is the shellac adds a bit of amber color and so does the varnish but this is only a concern with a natural finish and can make a new guitar look aged, not always a bad thing.

Join our Facebook Page

Get in Touch

Jazz Guitar eBooks
How To Get a Jazz Guitar Tone?
Privacy Policy

Follow us on:

Jazz Guitar Online on FacebookJazz Guitar Online on TwitterJazz Guitar Online on YoutubeJazz Guitar Online RSS Feed