Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Posts 26 to 50 of 73

User Info Menu

Stunning!

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

Quote Originally Posted by guido5
    Stunning!
    Thanks. Depending on how much time I have, I may get to shielding the cavities tonight.

User Info Menu

What do you plan to use for shielding? There are many options, including conductive paint, copper or aluminum tape, or even just glued-in aluminum foil. If I were doing many I would use the paint, because it's quick and easy, but for a one-off it's not worth the cost and shipping time since I already have tape on hand.

Quote Originally Posted by sgosnell
    What do you plan to use for shielding? There are many options, including conductive paint, copper or aluminum tape, or even just glued-in aluminum foil. If I were doing many I would use the paint, because it's quick and easy, but for a one-off it's not worth the cost and shipping time since I already have tape on hand.
    I got a shielding kit from StewMac. It's got copper tape, and a couple of copper sheets to cut out pieces for the bottoms of the cavities, plus a few other things.

User Info Menu

OK, that will work. Like I said, there are many options, and most work, more or less. The StewMac kit should be a good choice.

Quote Originally Posted by sgosnell
    OK, that will work. Like I said, there are many options, and most work, more or less. The StewMac kit should be a good choice.
    I'm a little confused about how to go about creating continuity between the pickup routs and the control cavity. The channels for the wires are obviously too narrow to shield. The pickups have the old school outer wire mesh for a ground. Do I make a join between the mesh and the shielding in the rout, considering that the mesh will be grounded in the control cavity?

User Info Menu

Shield the back of the pickguard, extend the shielding from the cavity onto the top of the guitar and it will make contact and continuity.

If no pickguard, run a length of thin insulated wire through the wiring channel and solder the ends to the shielding in the respective cavities.

Watch out for ground loops.

Quote Originally Posted by Cunamara
    Shield the back of the pickguard, extend the shielding from the cavity onto the top of the guitar and it will make contact and continuity.

If no pickguard, run a length of thin insulated wire through the wiring channel and solder the ends to the shielding in the respective cavities.

Watch out for ground loops.
    No pick guard. Pickup routs have individual channels to control rout.

I thought about doing the wire thing, but thought that might be overkill. Will do it, though.

User Info Menu

I don't think it's essential, or even usual, to provide electrical continuity between the cavities. Your aim is to create a Faraday cage around the pickups, and the controls. But if you want to do it, you can put ring connectors on wires, and screw the connectors into the bottom of the pickup cavities, then to the control cavity and solder to the volume pot with everything else. Or just wrap the end of the wire around the screw if you don't want to deal with ring connectors. Obviously you'll need a ground wire from the common ground to the strings, however you do that. There should already be a hole drilled for that, and I'm probably wearing my Capt. Obvious uniform here.

Shielding:

Warmoth Telecaster build-shield2-jpgWarmoth Telecaster build-shield1-jpg

User Info Menu

Looks good. You are on a roll with that thing...

Looks good. You are on a roll with that thing...
    Thanks. I'm just trying to do a little bit every day. The shielding took about half an hour. If I hadn't gotten the wrong size bridge and ferrules, I might be finishing up this weekend. As it is, I'll probably try to at least get all the electronics mounted and wired up.

There's a jam session on New Years Day and I'm hoping to have it ready for that. A lot's going to depend on how fast Armadillo can get my new stuff out. From what Mike was saying the other day, it sounds like he's almost ready to ship.

User Info Menu

Best of luck! Waiting for stuff is no fun at all...

Best of luck! Waiting for stuff is no fun at all...
    Eh, probably for the best. Now that I'm done finishing, I really ought to clean up the garage.

It's starting to look like a guitar!

Pickups, pots, jack and tuners mounted. (Pots and jack mounted for fit - I'll take them off for wiring. Neck is not bolted on. Just dry fit in place to get the full picture).

Warmoth Telecaster build-full-2-jpgWarmoth Telecaster build-full-1-jpg

User Info Menu

That's starting to look sort of like a telecaster.

User Info Menu

coming along nicely!!..fretboard looks like flattish 12"/+ radius..or is it warmoth special compound radius?

make sure to roll those fretboard edges...it will really soften it for your fretting hand...broken in comfy feel...looks softer aesthetically too

cheers

Quote Originally Posted by neatomic
    coming along nicely!!..fretboard looks like flattish 12"/+ radius..or is it warmoth special compound radius?

make sure to roll those fretboard edges...it will really soften it for your fretting hand...broken in comfy feel...looks softer aesthetically too

cheers
    The compound radius is standard on Warmoth necks. You can get non compound if you want it, though.

It's 10-16.

Strap buttons and selector switch mounted:

Warmoth Telecaster build-hardware1-jpg

Check out this sweet switch tip from Armadillo! I even found some brass screws to mount the switch with.

Warmoth Telecaster build-hardware2-jpg

All that's left is the bridge and ferrules. I'm going to wire it up today, and as soon as I get those things I can string it up.

User Info Menu

Most hardware stores have brass screws of various sizes. That's going to be a nice-looking guitar. Enjoy it. Using something you made yourself, or at least had a major hand in making, is a pleasure.

User Info Menu

Wow, this looks great.

I liked the compound radius on my Warmoth neck almost instantly.

Quote Originally Posted by mr. beaumont
    Wow, this looks great.

I liked the compound radius on my Warmoth neck almost instantly.
    I like the feel of it for sure. Unfortunately it's going to be a few more days before my parts are ready so it might be as much as a week before I can try it out.

Finally got the properly sized bridge and ferrules:

Warmoth Telecaster build-tele1-jpgWarmoth Telecaster build-tele2-jpgWarmoth Telecaster build-tele3-jpg

User Info Menu

Oh my is that dark and mysteriously lovely!

User Info Menu

That's a very nice looking bridge. The design seems much better than the original Fender. The ferrules don't fit into the body holes, but they should work like that, as long as they don't fall off when you change the strings. Even if they do, they can be replaced, it's just a PITA to find them on the floor and pick them up. That's a nice looking Tele, and it will probably sound good, too.