The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Posts 1 to 22 of 22

User Info Menu

So! I hope everyone on the forum has been well, its been a while since I've dropped a post here! That being said, this semester (my senior year of Jazz Hell) has been a tough one. I had a gibson ES-339 (repaired headstock) which i switched into a mono case, and the headstock re-broke in a car accident...anyway the guitar has had its second headstock break, What to do with this guitar??? sell it for a project to someone who wants to repair it? dump it less the electronics and everything else? let it sit in my closet? Just figured maybe someone here has some advice on what to do. I can imagine having a new neck put on it would be nearly the cost of the instrument (an ES-339). Anyway this forced me to pull the trigger on a new semi-hollow which I am happy to say will be an eastman 186.

Best-
    James

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Did it break in the exact same place?
    I really can't say without seeing the instrument, but it can be fixed. A splint inlay can be used, the old glue completely cleaned out (heat and patience) and any number of ways to re-craft the joining surfaces. It depends a lot on the luthier, their skill and confidence and your willingness to go through it.
    You have options.

David

User Info Menu

it did not break in the same place. ill do my best to send out photos asap, but im waiting to get my replacement phone (also lost in this situaion) today. when I do i will send pics!

Best

User Info Menu

Different location. Great news. Without pics, I can't say, but I'm feeling very optimistic given this piece of information.
    No matter what, have it done by a good luthier and sooner rather than later. Fresh breaks need to be tended to before oxidation of the joining surfaces.
    David

User Info Menu

I put it right back in its case, itll be a month before I can throw down (living on that jazz money). So to that degree, Im stuck playing my other eastman. I have never had these problems with eastman instruments. I have however had at least three gibsons all with random issues, neck, (this broken headstock), wavy fretboard issues...etc etc.. really making me chuckle at how nice the eastman 186 i played last week was...holy moly it was nice. I am really worried about the cost of the break/fix. I'll send you some info as soon as I can.

User Info Menu

Old break or new break, it doesn't matter. If done well this is a permanent repair:

FRETS.COM

User Info Menu

If it weren't for headstock breaks, I'd have waited a long, long time for my first two Gibsons!

User Info Menu

first off, happy that you survived better than the guitar!!

2nd, two breaks on a 339??...touchy...to have it done by a guy that can do the repair well, is gonna be $$$$...

might want to look into a sale..to a repairman or woodworker...some guys on this forum might even be interested....you could always strip out the parts..and sell or keep

enjoy the eastman...tho keep it in a case!! under the bed!!! haha

cheers

User Info Menu

Do you have the option of putting the guitar off onto the insurance company?

User Info Menu

I can hook you up with Bobby's on Broadway, his repairs last forever.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by cosmic gumbo
    I can hook you up with Bobby's on Broadway, his repairs last forever.

haha...sad thing is, i've seen plenty of guitars, over the years with repairs =/<!

cheers

User Info Menu

I used to own (70's-80's) a retail music store/repair shop and we were a service center for many major brands. I can't count how many Gibson broken head stocks passed through our shop over the years. No Martins, no Ovations, no Fenders but lotsa Gibsons. The way they make the recess for the truss rod nut really weakens the neck at that point. They could have spent a few dollars to put in a little cross grain wooden or carbon fiber reinforcement across that area and never had a problem. I've never been a Gibson fan and that's part of the reason why.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Thelonious1
    So! I hope everyone on the forum has been well, its been a while since I've dropped a post here! That being said, this semester (my senior year of Jazz Hell) has been a tough one. I had a gibson ES-339 (repaired headstock) which i switched into a mono case, and the headstock re-broke in a car accident...anyway the guitar has had its second headstock break, What to do with this guitar??? sell it for a project to someone who wants to repair it? dump it less the electronics and everything else? let it sit in my closet? Just figured maybe someone here has some advice on what to do. I can imagine having a new neck put on it would be nearly the cost of the instrument (an ES-339). Anyway this forced me to pull the trigger on a new semi-hollow which I am happy to say will be an eastman 186.

Best-
    James
    James, where do you live? Do you want to try a second repair? I know a couple of great luthiers online who do amazing repairs, if that's something you might want.

Is the second break along the first repair, or is it separate? Are you willing to ship the guitar to get it fixed?

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Thumpalumpacus
    James, where do you live? Do you want to try a second repair? I know a couple of great luthiers online who do amazing repairs, if that's something you might want.

Is the second break along the first repair, or is it separate? Are you willing to ship the guitar to get it fixed?
    Hopes the answer is in PA somewhere. If ol' Greg can't fix it,....lol

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Brian B
    Hopes the answer is in PA somewhere. If ol' Greg can't fix it,....lol

Greg knows his shit. Freddy up in Canuckistan also does fantastic work. Those were the two guys I had in mind ... if they can't fix it, ditch it.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Thumpalumpacus
    Greg knows his shit. Freddy up in Canuckistan also does fantastic work. Those were the two guys I had in mind ... if they can't fix it, ditch it.
    I'd been using Freddy's videos as a guide (better than StewMac's book!) for refretting. I wish he would get around to the video he mentioned about fretting a bound neck.

Yessir.... I concur with those two.

User Info Menu

Hell I'd fix it for you if you lived within reach of Boston. But these days it's the shipping services I don't trust.

David

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Brian B
    I'd been using Freddy's videos as a guide (better than StewMac's book!) for refretting. I wish he would get around to the video he mentioned about fretting a bound neck.

Yessir.... I concur with those two.

The refin he did on Alex's guitar was great. I've seen many of his threads at MLP, and they're consistently amazing.

Still lusting after one of his Hentor Sportscaster replicas.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by TruthHertz
    Hell I'd fix it for you if you lived within reach of Boston. But these days it's the shipping services I don't trust.

David
    I work in Boston...maybe we'll cross paths someday. Broken Gibson ES-339

User Info Menu

Hey all, sorry Ive been dealing with finals in music school!!! Im taking a break right now from fighting the piano music for tomorrows final to write back to all these comments! I live in Durham NC, to answer your question the break is in a different place, just north of the original repair, I will post pics tomorrow after my classical theory final (save me). That said, I would be willing to ship it to have it repaired, at this point it might be too costly to repair though. Especially if i have to pay a bazillion dollars, and ship a broken guitar (that sounds kinda scary, but really, its already broken i guess...). If you want to reach out, and really know what repairs are going to be like, pm me and let me know whos wheels i gotta grease to get this done right, or even find out if its worth it.

Best-

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Thelonious1
    Hey all, sorry Ive been dealing with finals in music school!!! Im taking a break right now from fighting the piano music for tomorrows final to write back to all these comments! I live in Durham NC, to answer your question the break is in a different place, just north of the original repair, I will post pics tomorrow after my classical theory final (save me). That said, I would be willing to ship it to have it repaired, at this point it might be too costly to repair though. Especially if i have to pay a bazillion dollars, and ship a broken guitar (that sounds kinda scary, but really, its already broken i guess...). If you want to reach out, and really know what repairs are going to be like, pm me and let me know whos wheels i gotta grease to get this done right, or even find out if its worth it.

Best-
    PM Sent with info on the right person for the job.

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk

User Info Menu

Hmm. Will the car insurance cover damage to items in the car?