The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Posts 1 to 19 of 19

User Info Menu

They advertise this as 1940's rough-carved and bent sides originally intended for Epiphone archtops. The price is kinda high, but in principle, would these be good to use in building a guitar? A person could build a solid-carved guitar but be able to concentrate on the issues of general assembly and, of course, the neck. Aside from the cost, which is enormous (IMO), would this be good to use for a build?

Set 1 of Epiphone Emperor 1940's Unfinished Tops, Backs & | Reverb

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

That's a lot of money. It's not like you can assemble this and have a true '40s Emperor.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by rlrhett
    That's a lot of money. It's not like you can assemble this and have a true '40s Emperor.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    That's certainly true. It's "rough carved" evidently, but still needs to be trimmed to the proper shape and carved to the right gradations of thickness.

Still, I would think it could be fun to build a guitar using wood that was 75 years old!

User Info Menu

Perhaps this Emperor has no clothes.

User Info Menu

How expensive is a well-seasoned, air-dried archtop set of maple rims/backplate and spruce top plate, wide enough for an 18" archtop, rough carved, rims already bent?

User Info Menu

You still require a neck, bracing, finish, etc. By the time you are done, you would have spent equal to or more than what a 40s to 50s vintage Epiphone Emperor costs on the vintage market today.

You want an Emperor, get an Emperor. No telling the quality of the carve either. It is old Sitka, that is about all.
    Last edited by Jabberwocky; 01-24-2017 at 02:48 PM.

User Info Menu

I would start with a flat top kit that includes plans, kerfing, bracing, etc. You can download instructions and buy a kit building video on StewMac.

Martin Build Your Own Guitar Kit | Musician's Friend

Acoustic Guitar Kits

Guitar Kits | stewmac.com

User Info Menu

hey,

First i find it's a nice project, but this set of wood is so very too expensive... no matter how old, and nice, and dried or carved... this is very expensive for a very low quality kind of grain and plain maple and spruce set... You could have the same type of 1A maple and 1A spruce for about 100$ or even a complete archtop building wood kit from BowriverWoods for 250$.. it wouldn't be carved... and as old... but pricewise, a very good deal.

Making an Archtop is a great journey, one i deeply enjoy every minutes of everyday of my life, and though it takes time and patience... it is most rewarding when accomplished. There are so much info available now that one can easily start a great project with very little tools

If i can be of any help in the making let me know,

Best of luck,

Guillaume,

Rancourt Guitares

User Info Menu

Lawson,
    It does seem quite expensive. You'd be hard pressed to find more well seasoned wood though. The back is actually true hard Maple which Gibson also used in this period. In later years they used more eastern soft. Years ago when I had the bug to build an archtop I bought a damaged L7 on ebay. I carefully disassembled it and used it for learning about the carving graduations, making patterns ect. You might keep an eye out for something like this. Bending non cutaway sides is pretty easy...the cutaway can be tricky.
    Good luck!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by lawson-stone
    They advertise this as 1940's rough-carved and bent sides originally intended for Epiphone archtops. The price is kinda high, but in principle, would these be good to use in building a guitar? A person could build a solid-carved guitar but be able to concentrate on the issues of general assembly and, of course, the neck. Aside from the cost, which is enormous (IMO), would this be good to use for a build?

Set 1 of Epiphone Emperor 1940's Unfinished Tops, Backs & | Reverb
    Lawson,

By asking for the good suppliers, it's fairly easy to find very well seasoned old stock of wood for your project, i have been building and making instrument full time for many years and always found very good supply of Figured Hardrock Maple and Salvaged old stock of Sitka Spruce and Red Cedar. If you'd like a hint, just send me a message i will help you through it, i might even have what you are looking for in my private stach ( i have more then 60 old salvaged sitka and red cedar Archtop top plate sets in stock)

My suppliers also has Canadian grown, Very dense Hard Maple from low to high figures... Much easier to bend actually then the less dense European maple which tend to crack instead and bend very well. The Hardrock Maple at the right thickness is a joy to hand bend on the iron compare to much of the other materials out there.

Also, It's fairly cheap and easy to make a Side Bending machine with the added Cutaway section to help form the sides without breakage, or you may try yourself at carving and ask a Guitar maker to sell you a set of bent sides to fit your needs.

without any disrespect, i think that there are too many misleading information on a lot of forums and sites regarding theses principals and a lot of times due to bad experiences and wrongly tried by anyone who decides to then make their own experience the common world while if well prepared, everything can me made or done...

Drop a line if you'd like, let me know where you are at, i have A LOT of resources to be helpful in your Particular situation... and most of all, only encouragements I find a lot of people tend to put guitar making on pedestals to prevent people from being encouraged to try for themselves at very great projects

16 years have gone and it's still everyday is a worth while journey for me,

Best regards,

Guillaume,
    Last edited by RancourtGuitars; 02-08-2017 at 12:07 PM.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by RancourtGuitars
    Lawson,

By asking for the good suppliers, it's fairly easy to find very well seasoned old stock of wood for your project, i have been building and making instrument full time for many years and always found very good supply of Figured Hardrock Maple and Salvaged old stock of Sitka Spruce and Red Cedar. If you'd like a hint, just send me a message i will help you through it, i might even have what you are looking for in my private stach ( i have more then 60 old salvaged sitka and red cedar Archtop top plate sets in stock)

My suppliers also has Canadian grown, Very dense Hard Maple from low to high figures... Much easier to bend actually then the less dense European maple which tend to crack instead and bend very well. The Hardrock Maple at the right thickness is a joy to hand bend on the iron compare to much of the other materials out there.

Also, It's fairly cheap and easy to make a Side Bending machine with the added Cutaway section to help form the sides without breakage, or you may try yourself at carving and ask a Guitar maker to sell you a set of bent sides to fit your needs.

without any disrespect, i think that there are too many misleading information on a lot of forums and sites regarding theses principals and a lot of times due to bad experiences and wrongly tried by anyone who decides to then make their own experience the common world while if well prepared, everything can me made or done...

Drop a line if you'd like, let me know where you are at, i have A LOT of resources to be helpful in your Particular situation... and most of all, only encouragements I find a lot of people tend to put guitar making on pedestals to prevent people from being encouraged to try for themselves at very great projects

16 years have gone and it's still everyday is a worth while journey for me,

Best regards,

Guillaume,
    Hey Guillaume,

I don't think anyone intended to be misleading, or put guitar making on a pedestal in order to not encourage.
    If you interpreted my post in that fashion you're way off base.

The suggestion to buy an old carved top guitar in need of repair to learn about construction, carving graduations, and for pattern making was not meant in lieu of actually making something, but in addition to. Doing this proved very helpful on my journey.

My experience with other builders along the way has been very positive. Sure Luthiers can be very opinionated, but I don't find that bothersome. I love to share information. There is definitely more than one way to skin a cat.

I personally would not buy that wood on reverb at that price, and agree that even a beginner, if well guided could get to the same point doing it themselves with there own wood for considerably less money.

Best

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by guitarcarver
    Hey Guillaume,

I don't think anyone intended to be misleading, or put guitar making on a pedestal in order to not encourage.
    If you interpreted my post in that fashion you're way off base.

The suggestion to buy an old carved top guitar in need of repair to learn about construction, carving graduations, and for pattern making was not meant in lieu of actually making something, but in addition to. Doing this proved very helpful on my journey.

My experience with other builders along the way has been very positive. Sure Luthiers can be very opinionated, but I don't find that bothersome. I love to share information. There is definitely more than one way to skin a cat.

I personally would not buy that wood on reverb at that price, and agree that even a beginner, if well guided could get to the same point doing it themselves with there own wood for considerably less money.

Best
    Yes!

Sorry for the misunderstanding, i was speaking at large, for having seen so much hmmm not sure how to say that (i'm a french Canadian who tries to put words into sentence that make sens :P ) points to make it seem harder that i looks, but the whole message was mostly directed to Lawson, as i think it's fairly easy to come across very good material for much cheaper... and i would suggest for a starter that yes buying a cheap archtop and trying to take it apart and get the concept is a very good idea... sorry for putting my words the wring way...

I've been teaching lutherie classes for some years and i find that really everyone who has the passion, interest and basic skills can build a great instrument with good knowledge. There are also very good laminated or pre rough-carved archtops and back available on the net that makes a very good starting point to learn to graduate, assemble, cut and build guitars with just buying kits.

Best regards,

Guillaume

User Info Menu

Yes!

Sorry for the misunderstanding, i was speaking at large, for having seen so much hmmm not sure how to say that (i'm a french Canadian who tries to put words into sentence that make sens :P ) points to make it seem harder that i looks, but the whole message was mostly directed to Lawson, as i think it's fairly easy to come across very good material for much cheaper... and i would suggest for a starter that yes buying a cheap archtop and trying to take it apart and get the concept is a very good idea... sorry for putting my words the wring way...

I've been teaching lutherie classes for some years and i find that really everyone who has the passion, interest and basic skills can build a great instrument with good knowledge. There are also very good laminated or pre rough-carved archtops and back available on the net that makes a very good starting point to learn to graduate, assemble, cut and build guitars with just buying kits.

One being ACME-ARCHTOPS.COM

Best regards,

Guillaume,
    Your guitars are beautiful. I really appreciate the violin edges and the lovely bursting....very cello like.

I'll bet you find some superb maple and spruce up there. It's getting harder to source good Spruce here in the Northwest USA. Wide figured hard maple is somewhat difficult to locate too.

Keep up the good work!

User Info Menu

Your guitars are beautiful. I really appreciate the violin edges and the lovely bursting....very cello like.

I'll bet you find some superb maple and spruce up there. It's getting harder to source good Spruce here in the Northwest USA. Wide figured hard maple is somewhat difficult to locate too.

Keep up the good work!
    Thanks!

I really appreciate it, i'm not good with all the forum stuff, i mostly spend all my time with wood so not use to that great community! If ever you find yourself looking for specific woods, yes we do find some amazing pieces up here, and the exchange rate is in your favor so, drop a line, i might even have some with me

Do you have any way i can see your guitars? would like that very much, sure you put everything in there, it's good to be able to share our passion with others

Best regards from the northern brothers

Guillaume,

User Info Menu

Thanks!

I really appreciate it, i'm not good with all the forum stuff, i mostly spend all my time with wood so not use to that great community! If ever you find yourself looking for specific woods, yes we do find some amazing pieces up here, and the exchange rate is in your favor so, drop a line, i might even have some with me

Do you have any way i can see your guitars? would like that very much, sure you put everything in there, it's good to be able to share our passion with others

Best regards from the northern brothers

Guillaume,
    Here is a pic of the last completed archtop. 16.25" one piece mahogany back and neck, one piece air dried red cedar top, Brazilian fingerboard, curly walnut sides. I had just strung it up and had not fitted the bridge or done and final detailing or set up yet.
    Attached Images Attached Images Epiphone 1940s Unfinished Tops, Backs, and Sides-img_1770-jpg Epiphone 1940s Unfinished Tops, Backs, and Sides-img_1761-jpg Epiphone 1940s Unfinished Tops, Backs, and Sides-img_1763-jpg Epiphone 1940s Unfinished Tops, Backs, and Sides-img_1764-jpg 

User Info Menu

this pic...(from rancourt guitars site) says it all..the alpha & omega

beautiful guitar guillaume!

Epiphone 1940s Unfinished Tops, Backs, and Sides-rancourtguitars-jpg

cheers

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by neatomic
    this pic...(from rancourt guitars site) says it all..the alpha & omega

beautiful guitar guillaume!

Epiphone 1940s Unfinished Tops, Backs, and Sides-rancourtguitars-jpg

cheers
    Thanks!

My gosh, i'm very glad you like it, much appreciated... simple sober decorations on my walls

Best regards !

merci!

Guillaume,

User Info Menu

Here is a pic of the last completed archtop. 16.25" one piece mahogany back and neck, one piece air dried red cedar top, Brazilian fingerboard, curly walnut sides. I had just strung it up and had not fitted the bridge or done and final detailing or set up yet.
    wow!
    This guitar is beautiful! Great job! beautiful lines and curves,

Best regards!
    Guillaume,

User Info Menu

Even if it were a LOT cheaper I wouldn't want to use those plates. Carving your own is far more informative than using a set of plates like this. These won't help you hear how the plates change during the whole process. That said, I'll be happy to furnish somebody with roughed out plates for the low, low price of $1299.00.