The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345
Posts 101 to 116 of 116

User Info Menu

Congratulations!! Binding is the most thankless job. The standard is perfect, and you can only screw up from there!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Wow. This is both inspiring and intimidating for someone pondering the jump into building guitars!

User Info Menu

Thanks, folks!

Rlrhett -- absolutely right. My binding skills are increasing with each build, but it's no walk in the park. I've been trying to add a level of complexity each time; this was my first time using wood purflings (which are easy to work with but harder to gap fill -- so better get it right!) as well as a double rabbet channel.

User Info Menu

She is looking good Jay! Your binding came out real nice. That is a long double rabet to cut by hand.

User Info Menu

So perfect can't be human,
    Come on,
    we all know that your using a 3D printer don't you ?

Wonderful Jay !

User Info Menu

Ha, thanks Christophe... if it's a 3D printer, I need to get it looked at!

User Info Menu

A pleasure to behold.

Thanks for the opportunity.

joaopaz Guest
    Subscribed to this thread! Better late than never...
    You do some seriously wonderful work.

Is that a Grizzly paw on the headstock?

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by joaopaz
    Subscribed to this thread! Better late than never...
    Quote Originally Posted by joaopaz

You do some seriously wonderful work.

Is that a Grizzly paw on the headstock?

Thanks, Joao. That is actually a dog paw on the headstock -- specifically our eldest dog, Lola's paw. I had her walk with wet paws on paper, then used the best imprint as the basis for the inlay.

The Itch Returns...-img_2314-jpg
    Lola is part owner of the guitar company that I will one day start, Red Dog & Wood Guitars. 'Red Dog' because she is a red merle Australian Shepherd, and 'Wood' because, oddly enough, that is my last name. Though to make the business viable, I suspect I will need to increase output from 0.5 instruments per year...

The Itch Returns...-img_2565-jpg
    Ivy, our youngest, is still a rabble-rouser and has not yet earned her place in the organisation. She does like to eat wood shavings though, so she's clearly angling for an apprenticeship.

User Info Menu

Crikey! I completely forgot about this thread!

I'm sure there have been a lot of sleepless nights and chewed fingernails as you've wondered, panic-stricken, what has come of this guitar. Well, I did eventually get her finished.

Overall, I think it turned out reasonably well. It is certainly not perfect; there are cosmetic flaws-a-plenty, and the top ended up with a bit of discolouration due to some sloppiness on my part during the sealing phase. (I actually kind of like it, though; it gives it a sort of antique look.) But it is structurally sound, plays very nicely, and sounds pretty decent too. That soundport really makes a difference!

A few pics:
    The Itch Returns...-dsc_0017-jpg
    The Itch Returns...-dsc_0025-jpg
    The Itch Returns...-dsc_0016-jpg

User Info Menu

More...
    The Itch Returns...-dsc_0046-jpg
    The Itch Returns...-dsc_0093-jpg
    The Itch Returns...-dsc_0021-jpg

User Info Menu

Nice work, Jehu! That's a beautiful instrument. Well done!

User Info Menu

Wow ! That's nice !
    Sure it sounds as good as it looks (which is quite a bit !)

User Info Menu

Jay, I very much like the sound port. She is a natural beauty. Very nice guitar!

User Info Menu

Thanks, guys. It's definitely not Cushman-grade, but it is better than the previous ones, so at least I'm moving in the right direction!

User Info Menu

Very nice! I've built a couple archtops with power tools and my hat is off to anyone doing it with hand tools. Now I know why I went to building solid bodies. Cutting binding channels by hand would test anyone's patience.