The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast
Posts 76 to 100 of 116

User Info Menu

I've fiddled with it a bunch and just can't really get it to work very well for me. I've messed with closing the throat and setting for a light cut etc. but by the time I get it set to where it's not tearing stuff up it's taking such a light shaving as to be pretty useless. I've been meaning to have Hock make me an iron in between those two Ibex irons size wise and then building a little wooden plane to stick it in but just never have. The palm protector is just some scrap maple I had laying around that I made to fit over the iron.

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by dingusmingus
    Wait, I'm so confused. I thought I was on jazzguitar.be, but it looks like I'm on sawmillcreek!

Great looking bench. Kind of a Nicholson-Roubo hybrid? Looks very stout, and it's nice looking to boot.
    Now I'm confused... isn't the 'Builder's Bench' section supposed to be about workbenches?

Thanks, dingus. It is a Nicholson variant, and should outlast humanity.

User Info Menu

Cool, Christophe! I've always wanted one of those, but they don't pop up very often down here and when they do, they're absurdly priced. They have a reputation of being quite finicky, but hey, they are meant to replace an entire shelf of molding planes.

User Info Menu

Well, I eventually got that back carved out. My prediction was correct -- this was some pretty difficult grain to work with! The figure really wanted to gouge, so I had to be very careful, but we got there.

The Itch Returns...-3-scraping-inside-back-jpg
    The Itch Returns...-5-plates-carved-jpg

After all the carving, it was nice to spend a relaxing morning with my dovetail saw and a bench hook making kerfed linings. I assume this is how the pioneers made their jazz guitars.
    The Itch Returns...-8-sawing-linings-jpg

With the linings ready, it was time for the sides. First I thickness planed them down to 2mm or a little under...
    The Itch Returns...-6-planing-sides-jpg

... and then got ready to bend!
    The Itch Returns...-6-bending-setup-jpg

I thought that the figured grain would give me problems, but it actually went fairly smoothly (with a healthy dose of patience). The wood resisted me a bit on the cutaway, but was eventually convinced.
    The Itch Returns...-6-sides-bent-jpg

User Info Menu

Wow. That hurt my hand just looking at those pictures. You HAND CUT the kerfs in lining? Wouldn't it be faster to just use solid linings and bend them? And that back... You must have the patience of a saint and mad plane sharpening skills.

I don't know whether to congratulate you or suggest you seek professional help!

User Info Menu

This thread rocks, good lord.

User Info Menu

interresting heating device Jay,
    not too hot ?

christophe

User Info Menu

That is remarkably nice work Jay! I am particularly impressed that you were able to hand plane the ribs down to 2mm. I didn't see any sandpaper on your bench. Do you have an aversion to abrasives as well as power tools? The wood choices look great. What is your plan for the neck woods? I'm sure it will be interesting, judging from what I have seen so far.

User Info Menu

You must use a high angled frog to tackle that figured wood! Looks great so far.

User Info Menu

Thanks, peeps!

Quote Originally Posted by ninjasan
    interresting heating device Jay,
    not too hot ?
    Not at all, Christophe. Between the adjustment on the torch nozzle and playing with the distance from the pipe, you've got really good temperature control. It ain't pretty, but it works!

Quote Originally Posted by Matt Cushman
    That is remarkably nice work Jay! I am particularly impressed that you were able to hand plane the ribs down to 2mm. I didn't see any sandpaper on your bench. Do you have an aversion to abrasives as well as power tools? The wood choices look great. What is your plan for the neck woods? I'm sure it will be interesting, judging from what I have seen so far.
    Thanks, Matt... yes, sanding is the worst, and I avoid it whenever possible. I do pull out the random orbital every now and then, but I make sure to keep my grumpy face on. The neck will be a 3-piece of Kauri and Rimu, with a Black Maire fingerboard and probably Puriri headplates.

Quote Originally Posted by BigToe
    You must use a high angled frog to tackle that figured wood! Looks great so far.
    Nope, just the standard angle Stanleys, but I made sure they were shaving sharp and took very light shavings. My plan was to get them down to within a mm or so and then move to the No.80 scraper plane, but things seemed to be going well so I rolled the dice and kept going. (I had a couple of extra pieces, so could start over if things went pear-shaped.)

User Info Menu

Jehu, thank you for posting all of this. It's like we are watching a guitar come into existence, step by step... Nice work!

User Info Menu

Quick update!

With the sides bent, I installed neck and tailblocks, and began bracing the sides. I decided to give the classic bias tape method a go rather than wood supports, with buckram supporting the soundport. (I am quite pleased with the buckram; I think I will start using it for f-hole support rather than gauze).
    The Itch Returns...-2016-08-09-15-18-49-jpg

Then I began to carefully -- carefully, now! -- rough out the sound port.
    The Itch Returns...-2016-08-10-18-27-39-jpg

Once the sides were ready, I attached the back and gave the interior a coat of shellac.
    The Itch Returns...-2016-08-17-17-28-31-jpg

Then I popped the top on, and as I pared off the excess perimeter from the plates, the box started to take on a familiar shape...
    The Itch Returns...-2016-08-27-18-49-21-jpg
    Last edited by Jehu; 08-31-2016 at 10:16 PM.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by wagz
    It's like we are watching a guitar come into existence, step by step...
    Right! Sort of like this:

User Info Menu

You cut the sound ports with an XACTO knife?!!! Ok, you've answered my question. Please seek professional help!!!

Just kidding, of course. Looks great.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by rlrhett
    You cut the sound ports with an XACTO knife?!!! Ok, you've answered my question. Please seek professional help!!!
    Wait 'til you see me cut the binding channels with my teeth!

User Info Menu

Just kidding, of course. Looks great.
    > That XACTO is a hand tool. No rules have been broken. Great stuff Jehu!

User Info Menu

She's looking mighty good Jay! I like the sound port. I also like your use of the buckram reinforcement. I have been using an old raw silk shirt I found at a rummage sale. Raw silk and HHG love each other and make a super strong yet thin fabric reinforcement when bonded to wood. What is your buckhorn woven from and how do you bond it to the wood?

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Archtop Guy
    > That XACTO is a hand tool. No rules have been broken. Great stuff Jehu!
    Yeah, but so are tin snips. I wouldn't use them for the job either.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Jehu
    Quick update!

Then I popped the top on, and as I pared off the excess perimeter from the plates, the box started to take on a familiar shape...
    The Itch Returns...-2016-08-27-18-49-21-jpg
    I recognize that shape! It doesn't look alien to me...

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Matt Cushman
    She's looking mighty good Jay! I like the sound port. I also like your use of the buckram reinforcement. I have been using an old raw silk shirt I found at a rummage sale. Raw silk and HHG love each other and make a super strong yet thin fabric reinforcement when bonded to wood. What is your buckhorn woven from and how do you bond it to the wood?
    Thanks, Matt. I think the buckram is just woven cotton with a stiffening agent. It's really easy to work with and you don't wind up with a bunch of stray threads on the edges like with gauze. It seems to work well with white glue, so I went with that.

User Info Menu

Yeah, but so are tin snips. I wouldn't use them for the job either.
    Don't worry, I'm not a monster! I removed the bulk with a fine coping saw, cleaned them up with the knife and then refined them with sanding sticks. Then I jabbed at them with a rusty butterknife.

User Info Menu

I think that even using a Stihl 022 chainsaw, Jay would do a smooth and acurate cut,

thanks once more for posting,

christophe

User Info Menu

Welcome back to the world's slowest guitar build! Hope nobody has had a cab waiting! Apologies for the lack of updates, folks. I've had a lot of non-guitar projects to take care of for the house, but I've managed to slowly chip away at this build.

With the body closed, it was binding time. I know I've said "never again" a couple times before, but this time I mean it: This is my last time cutting the binding channels by hand with a gramil and chisels! It's just too anxiety-provoking, and there is too much bruising of the adjacent wood to clean up afterwards.

Anyway, I got 'er done; first the top rabbet...
    The Itch Returns...-11-binding-rabbet-1-jpg

... then the side rabbet. Here's how things look before cleaning up with a flat file:
    The Itch Returns...-11-binding-rabbet-2-jpg

Next I installed a tail wedge:
    The Itch Returns...-11-wedge-jpg

And after bending the rosewood (I know, I know) bindings, glued 'em in!
    The Itch Returns...-11-gluing-bindings-jpg

Things didn't turn out too badly, and with a bit more tidying the mitres should look pretty good.
    The Itch Returns...-11-body-bound-jpg
    The Itch Returns...-11-body-bound-2-jpg

It still needs a lot of surface prep, but after scraping the recurve, the body is more or less ready to rock. The only issue I ran into is while scraping the recurve in one of the waist areas, I accidentally scraped into the binding, resulting in a narrower binding in that area. My fix was to do the same to the remaining three, so it doesn't look (as) out of place. It's a new feature that I call "proportional width binding", and is available for a small upcharge.

The Itch Returns...-11-body-complete-jpg

User Info Menu

... Rimu and Kauri were being laminated and extensions were being glued in place.

The Itch Returns...-13a-gluing-extension-jpg

I attached headstock veneers and sawed the headstock to shape. I could have sworn I took pictures of the inlay process, but I can't seem to find them anywhere...
    The Itch Returns...-13a-headstock-veneers-jpg

I slotted the Black Maire fretboard...
    The Itch Returns...-13b-frets-slotted-jpg

... and after installing the dual-action trussrod, glued it in place.
    The Itch Returns...-13b-fretboard-glued-jpg

I bound and radiused the fretboard...
    The Itch Returns...-13b-fretboard-bound-jpg

And tapped in the frets before trimming the excess from the sides and extension.
    The Itch Returns...-13c-fretted-jpg

Ready for shaping!

User Info Menu

Very nice work, Jay!