Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
Posts 51 to 75 of 116

User Info Menu

yes, great finish and beautiful work !!

christophe

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

So Jehu
    Are you a straight-razor shaver? I am. Love seeing you give that razor new life.

I restore blades, but I haven't done much work on scales.

User Info Menu

I am, but I'm not that skilled at it yet. I usually have to finish up with the Mach 3.

But I haven't severed the ol' carotid yet, so that's encouraging!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Jehu

User Info Menu

I am, but I'm not that skilled at it yet. I usually have to finish up with the Mach 3.

Very few people have, of course! The term "cut throat razor" is one of the most misleading terms ever.

I've shaved with straights for about 6 years now. I have bought many at flea-markets for $10-20 and then refurbished them, usually polishing the blades, repairing the edge, and honing. Since I don't do scales, I only buy razors with pretty good scales, or I buy them pre-made and just attach them.

Now that I have my "collection" of razors, I mainly just maintain them and enjoy shaving with them.

Be patient. It's a skill that takes time, especially if you are also trying to learn to use your off hand as well as your strong hand.

User Info Menu

Hey folks, sorry for the absence, but I have had the shop packed up in preparation for a big move which finally happened this week.

But before the luthiatin' can continue, I have to transform this into a functioning workshop:
    The Itch Returns...-2016-02-10-14-42-35-jpg

The good news is that with a new shop will come a new workbench, so you don't have to see pictures of that hideous benchtop anymore!

Step 1: Build a pair of English-style sawbenches:
    The Itch Returns...-2016-04-01-18-58-15-jpg

Step 2: Use said sawbenches to build a decent workbench.

Step 3: ???

Step 4: Profit!

User Info Menu

There have been a few new-house-related projects to take care of (which for some odd reason the little lady insists are more important than guitar making), but we are almost ready for production to resume. Just a bit more flattening of the benchtop and the addition of a vice, and we're in business. What can I say, building a workbench with hand tools takes time!

The Itch Returns...-2016-05-31-20-33-29-jpg

We're getting there...

User Info Menu

Ah man. Vacuum time.

User Info Menu

Out of curiosity why did you choose this bench design? Do you have an intended use for the large aprons?

User Info Menu

Hey Jason,

I was after the sturdiest, most solid bench I could build with inexpensive, readily-available materials (i.e., untreated, construction-grade 4x2 pine). I've spent a lot of time looking at bench designs, and I am of the opinion that the traditional French (Roubo) and English (Nicholson) are the best benches ever designed.

What I ended up with is basically a variant of Paul Sellers' bench, which is a variant of the Nicholson with a thick, laminated top. The leg frames are joined with mortise and tenon and bridle joints, and the legs are actually dado'ed into those wide aprons, adding a great deal of stiffness and rigidity. (I might eventually riddle the front apron with holdfast holes, Nicholson-style!). I changed all of Paul's proportions to give me almost double the flat work area, and added a longitudinal brace and bottom shelf. I've also added a removable batten -- I don't know if you can tell from the photo, but the last top lamination closest to the wellboard isn't actually attached. It can be taken out, allowing me to clamp things to the top along the length of the bench without holdfasts. When reinstalled upside down, it will have a variety of fixed planing stops. I've also left accommodation in the right leg frame for a tail vice, if I want to add one down the track.

One thing's for sure: With over 50 metres of solid timber in it, I don't have to worry about anyone stealing it!

User Info Menu

I hear you. My bench is a Roubo built from construction grade dimensional pine. When I was about to build mine I priced maple and about had a heart attack. The flush legs of the Roubo are stupid awesome. In fact I've built a lot of my fixtures to be clamped to the top as well as a leg. I don't have a tail vise but I sometimes wish I did. The next bench I make will be a modified split-top Roubo with a pinless leg vise and a tail or wagon vise. It will be sexy.

User Info Menu

Yes, a Roubo with a leg-vice is a lovely beast! We have a few sawmills around who sell massive slabs of Monterey Cypress, but it would still be quite a bit pricier than a laminated pine top, and they aren't exactly well-seasoned so I imagine there is a good chance one would be reflattening more often than one would like. (I found that flattening isn't actually that bad. The trick is to take a belt of whisky after each pass. I suspect our forefathers had this figured out. Well, mine did, anyway.)

We'll see if my 'innovations' actually pan out to be useful(/usable). In a few years I may end up with a Roubo as well.

User Info Menu

Here's mine. Well, you can kind of see the bench under all the shavings. I like the leg vise fine but I do find messing with the pin to be annoying at times and you certainly get plenty of clamping pressure with it (if the chop is stout enough...don't ask).

The Itch Returns...-imageuploadedbytapatalk1464921798-918588-jpg

User Info Menu

Damn, very classy, Jason. You've put me to shame once again! Veritas sponsorship too, I see.

User Info Menu

Nah, man. My bench could be much nicer and my next one will be. I tried to build it on the cheap since it was actually my first real woodworking bench and I wasn't sure what features I really needed or wanted. Now I know and will eventually get around to making my dream bench. It's incredibly sad, now that I think about it, that I dream about benches. Veritas should give me an endorsement deal because I tell anybody who'll listen that their low angle jack is worth it's weight in gold. The little apron plane gets a lot of use too. To be honest my hand plane collection is incredibly modest compared to even a hobbiest furniture maker. I only have five planes not counting the specialty carving planes like the Ibexes. I've got a Stanley no. 7 (which has been mothballed since getting the Veritas), a Stanley no. 5 that has a heavily cambered Hock iron for scrub plane duty, the little Veritas apron plane and the trusty Lie Nielsen low angle block.

User Info Menu

I've got 4 Veritas planes. The big jointer (sold my electric one), a smoother, block and rabbet. Except the rabbet all are low angle. All are a joy to use.

What planes do you guys use for shaping tops and backs?

User Info Menu

Yes, the Veritas planes are worth their weight in gold. Every time I'm back in Canada I go to Lee Valley and stand in a puddle of drool. Most of my tools are old vintage finds that I've brought back to life, but my Veritas low-angle block plane is worth every penny. Aside from that I just have a Stanley 3, 5, and 6 (I'm not a big guy so I find the 3 and 6 more comfortable than the usual 4 and 7) and the old wood guys you see above.

BigToe, aside from those big German planes I mostly use the Ibex convex plane from hell. It's not great, but I haven't found a better alternative. I put a cork on the butt end of the iron, wrap a piece of leather around the body, and remind myself that all life is suffering. I will eventually make comfy wooden ones. I also use a small, flat no name finger plane that works pretty well, a convex Veritas detail plane, and a cranked-neck gouge.

User Info Menu

Maybe you should find the time to make one of these....or something suitable for a living room..... 'I may know a guy who's looking for one -- '......the problem is the current builders either overbuild the cabinet or the amp...

....there's a Mesa - - but who needs 1000 watts etc etc.....

https://www.google.com/search?q=mesa...SmZ0J4cui1M%3A

I heard the Epi's hiss like heck and don't know about the other......

Epiphone 75th Anniversary Century Amplifier

Jule SWEET SUE Combo! | Prime Guitars

.... ???......

User Info Menu

Funny you should say that. I have a great sounding but rough looking Hot Rod Deville that will be getting a new home at some point...

The Itch Returns...-2016-04-22-07-56-26-1-jpg

User Info Menu

Yes, the Veritas planes are worth their weight in gold. Every time I'm back in Canada I go to Lee Valley and stand in a puddle of drool. Most of my tools are old vintage finds that I've brought back to life, but my Veritas low-angle block plane is worth every penny. Aside from that I just have a Stanley 3, 5, and 6 (I'm not a big guy so I find the 3 and 6 more comfortable than the usual 4 and 7) and the old wood guys you see above.

BigToe, aside from those big German planes I mostly use the Ibex convex plane from hell. It's not great, but I haven't found a better alternative. I put a cork on the butt end of the iron, wrap a piece of leather around the body, and remind myself that all life is suffering. I will eventually make comfy wooden ones. I also use a small, flat no name finger plane that works pretty well, a convex Veritas detail plane, and a cranked-neck gouge.
    Yeah, I've got some Ibex planes and after about 10-15min the hand things get cramped. I don't have their biggest one so I wonder if that might be better. They have a decent weight to them which is good. Lee Valley also has a convex plane which I'm curious about.

I don't live too far from LV so I love going in there and putting my nose up to the plane showcase.

User Info Menu

Funny you should say that. I have a great sounding but rough looking Hot Rod Deville that will be getting a new home at some point...

The Itch Returns...-2016-04-22-07-56-26-1-jpg

Pls. post pic's when you finish, Jay. I'm sure it'll be a knockout !!

User Info Menu

Hey, BigToe. These three planes and a no.7 sweep gouge by Pfiel are what I use for carving. The little guy in the middle is what I use for 90% of the carving. It's too small for the job really but the big one tears stuff up too bad. The Stanley no.100 1/2 is hardly ever used but was given to me by a friend of my dad's and I refurbished it. I'd like to try the D'Angelico planes but I just never have. If you go by Lee Valley remind them about my endorsement deal.

The Itch Returns...-imageuploadedbytapatalk1465151181-869164-jpg

User Info Menu

The bench is complete and ready for action! No more excuses now...

The Itch Returns...-2016-06-06-12-06-12-jpg

User Info Menu

Wait, I'm so confused. I thought I was on jazzguitar.be, but it looks like I'm on sawmillcreek!

Great looking bench. Kind of a Nicholson-Roubo hybrid? Looks very stout, and it's nice looking to boot.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by jasonc
    Hey, BigToe. These three planes and a no.7 sweep gouge by Pfiel are what I use for carving. The little guy in the middle is what I use for 90% of the carving. It's too small for the job really but the big one tears stuff up too bad. The Stanley no.100 1/2 is hardly ever used but was given to me by a friend of my dad's and I refurbished it. I'd like to try the D'Angelico planes but I just never have. If you go by Lee Valley remind them about my endorsement deal.

The Itch Returns...-imageuploadedbytapatalk1465151181-869164-jpg
    That's unfortunate that the larger Ibex is too aggressive. Even when you adjust the blade for a shallow cut? I really like that wood piece on the butt end of the blade. Is that custom?