The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Posts 26 to 37 of 37

User Info Menu

Vostok,

I am working a little in the dark here with no idea what sort of tools and materials you can get. Can you advise?

If sanding by hand, note that the hard wood will cut notably faster across the grain vs. with the grain. So do the bulk work across the bridge base, then finish with some sanding with the grain.

Chris

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

I'm not sure yet, but I think it will be sanding paper, flat file. I was thinking of some small saw to help me get rid of excess wood bellow thumb wheels quicker, but it might not be necessary.

User Info Menu

A small saw will allow you to cut slots across the grain where the thumbwheel cutouts end. This will help in my opinion. But a file will also cut a nice interior edge to the thumbwheel cutout.

User Info Menu

Hiya Vostok,

No hurry on this, but note that I will be 100% out of internet communication from Friday AM until Sunday evening EDT. (In the future, this will likely be known as the "Golden Era" of the Jazzguitar.be forum.)

Chris

I'm trying to assemble proper tools. I'm under impression that there is no way to do this with sand paper only, at least i don't have confidence. Stay tuned.

User Info Menu

In principle, you could do everything with sandpaper only, so long as you had a block with a sharp 90 degree edge on it. But it would be difficult and take some time.

I suppose in principle one could eat a bowling ball, but it would be a sub-optimal experience I expect.

Yes, a flat file and a fine-toothed saw would help some. (With the bridge, I mean. Probably need ketchup for the bowling ball.)

Chris

User Info Menu

Anything ever happen with this?

I want to stay responsive, but don't want to end up watching for no particular reason. (I have no PM connection or automated notices regarding the forum.)

It seems fairly common to never hear again about something, even when it seems to be rather hanging there

User Info Menu

My last guitar needed some bridge tweaking. Just a bit of wood removed below the thumbwheels with a dremel tool set everything right. Not a difficult job and has worked out well. Of course the first step was the forum telling me that this is a common situation and the fix is easy. Helpful posts are never wasted here.

User Info Menu

There are a couple of good stewmac videos on youtube about this. If you are only doing this once, you shouldn't need much more than sandpaper and something to protect the top of the guitar.

Having a saw to remove excess material will make the job go faster.

Stewmac sells a jig that helps keep the bridge perpendicular while you are sanding which will give you a flatter base. No roundd bottoms or rocking bridges.

User Info Menu

EDIT: To seem less critical of non-specific referral to Stewmac vids,...

>>> stewmac videos on youtube about this. If you are only doing this once, you shouldn't need much more than sandpaper

If by "this" you mean sanding the base where it contacts the top, note that we are not talking about that at all. We are talking about sanding the bottom of the saddle for now.

What I am trying to do here is avoid non-specific "advice", and instead observe/measure the actual situation, then think our way through to actual action.

If you are referring to adjusting the bottom of the saddle, then I suppose one could recommend a jig that specifically helps in keeping the recessed areas flat that rest on top of the thumb wheels. Do you suggest a specific jig for this purpose?

Knowing the OPs general situation, this may not be the shortest path to his preferred action height.

I really suggest a situation-specific approach. Maybe:

- What are we doing?
    - Why are we doing it?
    - What did we observe/measure that made us decide to do it?
    - What do we expect to observe/measure after we do it?

Then you pick up the tool. (Or as a forum member recommend a specific tool that addresses the detailed issue at hand.)

We have several very good luthiers and techs here (and one seemingly colossal hack of a "pro" tech). And while things like a Stewmac tool or vid can be helpful, they can also miss quite a bit regarding the actual situation with a specific guitar.

The OP and others started with a genuine question about the viability of this guitar's construction (the neck angle), and its effect on the action being too high for the OP. I was sort of harbo[u]ring a dream that we could stay with simple "in-house" observation and measurement to see of the guitar was in fact viable, and if so, what was needed to optimize it for the OP.

In my opinion.

Chris
    Last edited by PTChristopher2; 09-20-2014 at 10:36 AM. Reason: spelling

Quote Originally Posted by PTChristopher2
    Anything ever happen with this?

I want to stay responsive, but don't want to end up watching for no particular reason. (I have no PM connection or automated notices regarding the forum.)

It seems fairly common to never hear again about something, even when it seems to be rather hanging there
    Sorry for not dropping a word or two

A luthier told me he will do it for free, so i let him do it instead, but now he has been moving so everything got delayed a bit. I'm sure there will be no problems

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Восток
    Sorry for not dropping a word or two

A luthier told me he will do it for free, so i let him do it instead, but now he has been moving so everything got delayed a bit. I'm sure there will be no problems
    Can you promise some pictures of the completed work? I'd love to see it, since this same work might be in my future. Good luck.