The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Posts 26 to 34 of 34

User Info Menu

Did anybody here get a chance to check this Lacey out at Gryphon before it sold? Not usually a big "blue" fan however this effort looks quite well put together...
    Attached Images Attached Images Luthier Mark Lacey-ml-blue-jpg 

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by wintermoon
    "I hope for the sake of the seller who consigned it to Gruhn for sale I'm wrong about that."

as you know, not all guitars @ vintage shops are consignments.
    it may be that Gruhn bought it for low $, or it could be that Mark wound up w/it and decided to make a new neck for it [back in the day I can recall seeing several vintage Gibsons w/new necks made by D'Angelico]

I think Mark apprenticed @ Gruhn back in the day and is now back in the area. [there are a few of his guitars listed on Gruhn's site now]

could be any number of different scenarios.
    Those are all good points, which I hadn't considered. Mark did start out with George, then branched out on his own.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Patrick2
    Those are all good points, which I hadn't considered. Mark did start out with George, then branched out on his own.
    So pop quiz Mr. P....

If that black Lacey w/ the DeArmond 1100 is available used at $7.5k, is it worth it - to you?

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by 2bornot2bop
    So pop quiz Mr. P....

If that black Lacey w/ the DeArmond 1100 is available used at $7.5k, is it worth it - to you?
    No. There's only one black guitar on the planet that I would ever want in my collection;

Vintage 1959 Gibson Les Paul Custom True Black Beauty $$$$$$ Investment | eBay

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by SierraTango
    Did anybody here get a chance to check this Lacey out at Gryphon before it sold? Not usually a big "blue" fan however this effort looks quite well put together...
    I did. It had beautiful thick, clear trebles and plenty of volume. The guitar really grabbed me, but for some reason that I don't recall, it didn't make me weak in the knees in the same way as a Steve Andersen double top that I recently played. Maybe that's an unfair statement. The Lacey was quite spectacular, and someone bought themselves a nice guitar.

User Info Menu

User Info Menu

It reminds me of your Napolitano.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Jabberwocky
    It reminds me of your Napolitano.
    talk about one of a kinds....definitely in 2b's top 2!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by 2bornot2bop
    Well, the spec's in the eBay add have the nut width a 1-11/16'. WAY to big for me!!!

But, in seriousness . . it sure does look good. I think if I were to by a Lacey, I'd want to go for a more recent build. As sure as I am that Mark was very very good a quarter century ago . . I'm ever more sure that he's better today.

I'd have no problem at all buying one of Aaron's earliest Unity arch tops. Because he built scores of arch tops at Gibson before he ever built his first Unity. If you'll recall, I had a similar apprehension about that 1994 18" Campy.