The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Posts 26 to 27 of 27

User Info Menu

>>> I never even considered the possibility of a misaligned neck . . . except on a bolt-on, like a strat. I would imagine it would take someone returning to the bench from a very long 4 Martini lunch and then setting the neck . . . . to actually screw up enough to misalign it?

In my opinion it is easier than it may seem to have a slight mis-alignment in the neck. A slight change in a hand-cut dovetail or mortise/tenon can project easily to a 3mm (1/8) offset in the ideal tailpiece location. Likewise the tolerance stack-up in a production environment can (and does) result in some imperfect alignment.

>>> I've seen necks set with the tongue and mortise joint as well as the dove tail joint. I'm not sure I can imagine how a misalignment would occur.?.? Could you please . . "splain" further"

In my opinion it comes through the tolerance stack-up in a factory production process, and the minor human touch and imperfection in a bench-made guitar.

It is something to be very carefully considered when doing a neck reset. For example, on a flat-top you will be doing all sorts of careful (razor-sharp) chisel re-cutting of the dovetail. In such a case you need to be very careful to match up to the existing bridge location. (Which is only a small part of why guitars neck resets are not a way to make any real money - in my opinion anyway.)

On our archtops this slight misalignment offers no harm really - just the need to be mindful that we are not aiming the tailpiece for a given location on the body of the guitar, but rather for the centerline of the FB.

My opinion.

Chris
    Last edited by PTChristopher2; 07-11-2014 at 09:06 PM. Reason: spelling

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Oh and,...

The potential misalignment is not necessarily in the neck joint. Bodies can be unintentionally asymmetrical in the lower bout. Or if there is a center seam in the rim, it can be somewhat off-center. In my observation, it happens.

Chris