The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast
Posts 1 to 25 of 180

User Info Menu

My next little project. Wish me luck! (I think that will be the primary ingredient...)

It Begins...-2-body-mold-complete-2-jpeg

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

nice mold! what's the lower bout width?

User Info Menu

Excellent! No luck involved, it's skill!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by fritz jones
    nice mold! what's the lower bout width?
    It's a 17, but the camera may have added a few pounds.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Scot Tremblay
    Excellent! No luck involved, it's skill!
    Well then, that's going to be a problem.

User Info Menu

Very Very Cool!

So...you're going to do all the carving? Where are you going to get the plates for the top and back?

Happy Carving

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Jehu
    Well then, that's going to be a problem.
    Well, you have the skill to make a fine looking form so I have faith that the rest is going to be even better!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by edh
    Very Very Cool!

So...you're going to do all the carving? Where are you going to get the plates for the top and back?

Happy Carving
    Yep, that's the plan. The wood is all locally sourced: The body and neck are Monterey Cypress (known as Macrocarpa here in NZ) and the fretboard is Puriri, which I believe is the hardest wood we have down here.

It Begins...-1-wood-jpg

User Info Menu

Good luck with your project!
    Did you already build a guitar or is it a new experience for you ?
    What kind of tooling do you have ?
    I still have in mind to build me a guitar, but I'm not ready to make the step yet. I wish one day I'll make it.

Any specs to share ?
    Keep us informed

User Info Menu

Looking forward to following this! There was a build thread on the Tele forum that got me into building.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by 339 in june
    Good luck with your project!
    Did you already build a guitar or is it a new experience for you ?
    What kind of tooling do you have ?
    I still have in mind to build me a guitar, but I'm not ready to make the step yet. I wish one day I'll make it.

Any specs to share ?
    Keep us informed
    Thanks! This will be my first instrument. I would describe my tool set as "minimal". I have the basics in terms of hand tools (chisels, saws, planes, etc.) and for bigger jobs I've been taking my stuff to a community woodshop that operates by donation. Other than that there are just a few specialty items that I will acquire as I need them (e.g., the convex palm plane that's on it's way as we speak). I don't think anyone is ever ready to build their first guitar!

In terms of specs, I'm keeping it fairly conservative for my first go. 17" lower bout, 3" depth, 25" scale, 1.75" nut, black/white binding, standard f holes. That's about as far as I've gotten.

User Info Menu

Don't be afraid to ask questions from the folks here if you need. I haven't been here all that long but I've seen some talented makers posting here.

User Info Menu

Thanks, Scot, I appreciate that. I'll need all the help I can get. I have also been chatting with a local luthier who has been very generous with his guidance.

User Info Menu

Plannin' and Clampin'...

It Begins...-0-plan-jpg
    It Begins...-0-plan-2-jpg
    It Begins...-3-back-clamped-jpeg
    It Begins...-3-arch-templates-jpg

Carving is underway. Pics to come soon!
    Last edited by Jehu; 05-03-2014 at 12:47 AM.

User Info Menu

Looking forward to seeing this! Is it going to be thinner top (Benedetto) or thicker(Gibson) Just played a Johnny Smith that sounded amazing!

User Info Menu

nice planning and drawings.
    Are you mapping the contours based on the traditional arching pattern?

User Info Menu

Impressive. I'll be checking in regularly for progress.

User Info Menu

Wow !!!

Building an archtop is one of my dreams. I'll follow closely your work.

Thanks Jay.
    Last edited by balthazar; 05-03-2014 at 11:36 AM.

User Info Menu

Oh yeah I am watching.....

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by jads57
    Looking forward to seeing this! Is it going to be thinner top (Benedetto) or thicker(Gibson) Just played a Johnny Smith that sounded amazing!
    I'm going for a thinner top, X-braced... but we'll see how things are feeling as I carve out the inside.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by fritz jones
    nice planning and drawings.
    Are you mapping the contours based on the traditional arching pattern?
    I used Mottola's method (from "A method for specifying the contours of an arched plate"), but starting from a more traditional arch profile. The profile that he uses for the example in his article is a simple spline curve with no terrace on the edge for a recurve.

Thanks for the encouragement, all!

User Info Menu

Alright, I'm going to call Scot's bluff regarding advice. I'm close to finishing the outside arches (pics to come, as promised!). I plan to cut the f holes by hand (coping saw), and I'm torn whether to do them now or after I have hollowed out the inner arches.

Pro: The f holes will be easier to position on a flat surface. There will also be less chance or anything tragic happening while sawing a thicker slab versus the thinner (almost) finished top plate.

Con: I anticipate the inner carving process to be a much more delicate procedure with two large, ornate holes in the plate. But having never done this before, maybe those fears are baseless.

Any thoughts from those who have archtop experience? And apologies for the cross-post to those who haunt the luthiery forums...

User Info Menu

While I haven't yet carved tops and backs for guitars, I have for mandolins. Most folks will carve the inside first, as you guessed, removing large quantities of stock with two holes already there would make a difficult task more so. It also gives you the opportunity to get a good, consistent tap tone from the piece before you cut the f holes. Which then you can use the sizing of to further tune your top.

User Info Menu

FWIW, I haven't built yet, but I've been planning and researching for a few years now. All the books I have and the videos I've watched on carving always show the F-holes done after carving (except for the recurve - that seems to be done after the instrument is almost finished). Eagerly watching your build.

User Info Menu

Damn, called my bluff...

I'd suggest after, basically for the reasons above. Ease of carving without holes (it's easier than one would think to catch an edge of the hole while roughing out the shape. Maybe once having a few under ones belt it would be OK, but for the first I'd error on the safe side), easier to cut accurate holes in thinner material after carving and fine tuning using hole size...a little aside here: don't forget that even though the f holes look small they actually create a pretty big empty space in the top. Their size helps regulate the flow of air in and out of the instrument as it's played, kind of like a big bellows. I won't get into why this is important (too much space needed) but it is...