The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast
Posts 76 to 100 of 180

User Info Menu

Closing the box does have a down side...especially when there is this disturbing rattle and you cannot find your watch

Looking awesome, Jason.

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Scot Tremblay
    Closing the box does have a down side...especially when there is this disturbing rattle and you cannot find your watch

Looking awesome, Jason.
    Ha! Good thing I don't wear a watch.

User Info Menu

I actually found it a little sad to close the box and cover up all that hard work forever (hopefully)!

User Info Menu

The results are looking great!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Jehu
    I actually found it a little sad to close the box and cover up all that hard work forever (hopefully)!
    You could upgrade the back with something like this !

christophe

great thread, keep it going... :-)

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by ninjasan
    You could upgrade the back with something like this !

christophe
    Ninjasan

There're more discreet solutions:

It Begins...-zip-jpg
    Last edited by balthazar; 09-15-2014 at 05:59 PM.

User Info Menu

Not a bad idea! But I'm thinking Velcro might rattle less.

User Info Menu

that looks like great craftsmanship so far, Jehu.
    looking forward to seeing the binding channel.

User Info Menu

Thanks, Fritz!

User Info Menu

Much to Fritz's chagrin, the binding channels will have to wait. My attempts at homegrown solutions have not been particularly confidence inspiring, so I've decided to bite the bullet and order a gramil from LMI... one of these little critters:

It Begins...-bindingtoolsschneidergramilknifespg500-jpg

In the meantime, I thought I'd share what I've been up to neck-wise. I'm using a one-piece neck blank with a joined heel due to the dimensions of the stock I have.

First I roughed out the shape, cut the truss rod groove, and made the dovetail tenon with a saw and chisel:
    It Begins...-13a-neck-roughed-jpg

... and the mating body mortise.
    It Begins...-10-body-mortise-jpg

Then I attached the neck extension and the headstock ears:
    It Begins...-13-ears-glued-jpg

And today I am planing the fingerboard to thickness.
    It Begins...-13b-planing-fingerboard-jpg

Forward ho!

User Info Menu

Fascinating Jehu. I admire your skills Thanks for sharing. This is a great project and I hope that it all comes out as you wished.

User Info Menu

looks like you are very good with planes and other hand tools.
    that's really impressive.

User Info Menu

Hi Jehu,

Do you already have the definite headstock shape in mind ?

User Info Menu

Thanks, Fritz. Part of the point of doing as much of this as I can by hand is to get better with hand tools, and I'm definitely seeing some improvements.

Ninja -- Yes, I have a general idea sketched out, I just need to finalise it and make a pattern. It's based in a somewhat abstract way on the shape of my dog's head. (Don't worry, it looks better than it sounds!)

User Info Menu

[QUOTE=Jehu;462037]....based in a somewhat abstract way on the shape of my dog's head. [QUOTE]

....and up until that point you had been doing so well, it all made relatively good sense. Then the dog's head came into the process........

User Info Menu

Don't worry, I'll keep it classy. I'm thinking something like this...

It Begins...-detail-my-dog-uke-jpg

User Info Menu

Perfect!!!!!
    Last edited by edh; 09-24-2014 at 12:17 AM. Reason: text

User Info Menu

Oh that's OK then, you had me worried for a minute.....

User Info Menu

Poor dog !

christophe

User Info Menu

Apologies for the lack of updates, folks, but rest assured that guitar-related happenings are, erm... happening. Binding channels are being channeled, and heads are being stocked. But in the meantime, here are a few pics of what's going on in the fingerboard department.

After some careful measurements and calculations, the fretboard scale was scored onto the blank.
    It Begins...-13b-notching-fingerboard-jpg

Then began the World's Slowest Slotting Procedure. I found a coping saw blade that had a kerf width appropriate to my fretwire. Then, at each notch I lined up a square block and used a fretsaw to slot down to the appropriate depth.
    It Begins...-13b-slotting-fingerboard-jpg

Sometime later, I ended up with a slotted blank.
    It Begins...-13b-fingerboard-slotted-jpg

I then scored the width and used a plane to get the board to size, and sawed out the shape of the end.
    It Begins...-13b-fingerboard-finished-jpg

Radiusing and binding will happen once it's on the neck, which is in the not-too-distant future. But first, the body binding!

User Info Menu

I remember, fondly I might add, cutting my first few fingerboards with a fretsaw. There's something very eternal about cutting the slots that way...perhaps the length of time it takes has something to do with that feeling...

Thanks for the update, Jay. I don't have much time for the inter web these days but do check on where you're at with your build every week or so. Looks like things are coming along great. Looking forward to the stringing up photos.
    Last edited by Scot Tremblay; 10-17-2014 at 11:30 AM.

User Info Menu

Jehu, how do you know how deep to cut the slots? Do eyeball it?

User Info Menu

Pretty much. I measured how far up the blade I wanted to go, and then just eyeballed it on each cut. It's not an exact science in this stage of the game; I'll have to deepen the slots once I have the fretboard radiused.

Scot -- good to see you're still checking in! I had assumed that you had turned away in disgust at some point.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Jehu

Scot -- good to see you're still checking in! I had assumed that you had turned away in disgust at some point.
    Nope, no disgust here, never. I enjoy seeing what others are doing. I'm just really busy with my building so, even though I check in, I don't often comment. Sending positive mental vibes though.
    Last edited by Scot Tremblay; 10-20-2014 at 01:13 AM.