The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Posts 26 to 35 of 35

User Info Menu

I understand your plight. Stick with it, - you will conquer!

But, I notice (again) the depth of the slots on those old saddles! No need to cut that deep ever!

Try to avoid that. The strings should just rest on the saddles - or a minimal "scratch" if anything.

Good luck.

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Also looks like your new bridge is not radiused.

Quote Originally Posted by edh
    Also looks like your new bridge is not radiused.
    the bridge itself isn't radiused, as the photo shows, but the saddles have different heights and that makes the string radius.
    Last edited by orri; 01-02-2014 at 06:32 AM.

User Info Menu

Hi Orri....
    Just wondering how you are making out with the new bridge? I'm still on the fence with what I want to do...
    Not sure if I should order that bridge?...Would you consider selling your old bridge??..if I use some of you good screws I can possibly make one good bridge....I am searching for replacement saddles to fit...
    Let me know
    Thanks Nick

Well, a few years later, and I'm going through the same frustrations (and humiliation s!) as you. And I think I have even less options available to me now! Much like another fellow on here, I was wondering if you still had your original bridge and if you're interested in/willing to part with it? Thanks for your time!

Quote Originally Posted by orri
    The bridge has arrived earlier this week.

The spacing was a bit too wide about 1mm to wide. Seemed to be about 73 mm not 72.
    (I just used a measuring tape, which isn't that precise, but I've put a vernier calliper on my christmas wishlist).

I could press it with some moderate force to put it in place, but it was then too stuck then, I couldn't adjust the bridge height (by turning the posts) without taking the bridge off (also with force) and putting it in place again.

I filed a bit from one of the post holes in the bridge and made it slighly oval shaped. Now it isn't as stuck but still a bit tight. (I don't need to remove bridge to adjust the posts, but I need to loosen the strings and lift the bridge a bit).

The saddles were not slotted so I had to make slots.
    I used the old bridge as a reference and noticed that the space between the saddle screws is bigger on the new bridge, so the slot does't end up in the center of each saddle.

I haven't yet had time to do fine adjustment of bridge heigt, intonation and truss rod (I trying to decide if I should string it with my prefered rock strings (regular nickel wound 10s) or my preferred jazz strings in it (flat wound 12s)), still has a lot of fret buzz issues I need to figure out, so I don't want to say anything about how much improvement this bridge is.

The quality of these photos aren't that good:

Attachment 9760
    The old bridge and posts on the left. In the right are the parts that arrived. The new posts fit perfectly in the screw holes in the guitar so I didn't need to fit the new screw holes (or what ever I should call that part) into the wood in the guitar.

Attachment 9761
    New bridge (above) before slotting and old brige below. You can see that the space between the saddles is a bit wider.

User Info Menu

Funny this thread should be resurrected now. I never change stuff on gits if I cannot put it back easily to original. But my ES-137 was just plain, but I wanted to do SOMETHING for its appearance, so I had a burst wood pickguard made for it and replaced the TOM with a rosewood one.

It doesn't sound any different but I like it.

Replacing a Tune-o-Matic Bridge ?-gibson_es137c_new-jpg
    Last edited by GNAPPI; 05-03-2016 at 07:03 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by HighHorseman
    Well, a few years later, and I'm going through the same frustrations (and humiliation s!) as you. And I think I have even less options available to me now! Much like another fellow on here, I was wondering if you still had your original bridge and if you're interested in/willing to part with it? Thanks for your time!
    I think I still have it. I'll try to remember to check when I'm home.
    But it is in quite bad shape. saddles are worn, and I think the (fake)gold coating had started to flake.

User Info Menu

I have a couple of New-Old-Stock Japanese-made bridges that would fit.
    I'll dig up pix and post them later.
    PM if interested.

Thanks, Orri. All I really need is to replace the screw I broke, and maybe the c-clip, so I'm sure whatever you have woyld be more than sufficient.
    Quote Originally Posted by orri
    I think I still have it. I'll try to remember to check when I'm home.
    But it is in quite bad shape. saddles are worn, and I think the (fake)gold coating had started to flake.

That would be great, Hammertone!
    Now to figure out how to pm you...
    Quote Originally Posted by Hammertone
    I have a couple of New-Old-Stock Japanese-made bridges that would fit.
    I'll dig up pix and post them later.
    PM if interested.