The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Posts 1 to 25 of 43

User Info Menu

Its almost done, cant wait!

Attached Images Attached Images My Benedetto 16B-9375963922_4428f98f94_z-jpg My Benedetto 16B-9373186037_e593782f54-jpg 

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

That looks spectecular

User Info Menu

Beauty -- congrats!!

User Info Menu

Sweet! Benedettos a are such works of art.

User Info Menu

Looks good. However, I visited the Benedetto web page to check out the specs on your new guitar and read that it was only being offered in sunburst and brown. Is this a special order?

I also noticed that this based on the specs Benedetto used on his artist instruments of the 1990's. If I recall, the 90's were when the modern golden age of lutherie took off, so it seems as you should be getting a special instrument containing both history and unparalleled playability.

User Info Menu

what fun. how long do they let the nitro cure, and take with other steps after this point?

I remember seeing pictures of my Citation in this same state. Then I reviewed Bob's book to gauge for myself how long it would be before my baby arrived. it was much sooner than I calculated.

User Info Menu

This is a special order/custom build. It's sort of half 16B/half Bravo Elite.

I ordered it blonde body/black hardware with various upgrades such as the end pin plug, wood binding, and fine black lines around the binding.

The curing will take about a month I think.

User Info Menu

Gorgeous! I think you're gonna love that one.

User Info Menu

quickly glancing at the first pic, i thought it was finished in antigua burst. i thought to myself, "well that's brave". then i realized it was just unfinished. i think the natural might look a little better.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by shawntp
    This is a special order/custom build. It's sort of half 16B/half Bravo Elite.

I ordered it blonde body/black hardware with various upgrades such as the end pin plug, wood binding, and fine black lines around the binding.

The curing will take about a month I think.
    I know taste varies, but you've made some excellent looking choices here!

User Info Menu

+1. Love it!

User Info Menu

Like watching the birth of a supernova. Just exquisite!

User Info Menu

It like watching the birth of one's child. Beautiful but I can't get over the price tag. Between $9000 and $14 800? Is that MSRP or street? Make that very high street, Savile Row or possibly Harley Street even...

French 101. Repetez apres moi: Mon coeur bat la chamade.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Jabberwocky

User Info Menu

Mon coeur bat la chamade.
    wo wo ee yeh yeh!

(Not jazz I know, but lyrics - spot on!)

User Info Menu

It like watching the birth of one's child. Beautiful but I can't get over the price tag.
    Only if the price tag makes you faint! :lol:

User Info Menu

I should have it in a few more weeks

Last edited by shawntp; 07-31-2013 at 10:44 PM.

User Info Menu

It like watching the birth of one's child. Beautiful but I can't get over the price tag. Between $9000 and $14 800? Is that MSRP or street? Make that very high street, Savile Row or possibly Harley Street even...

Eh? A gentleman never discusses price, and he didn't here.

So, you can't get over it because you can't afford it or because you think its worth less than that?

Nobody cares about the former, so regarding the latter - how much is it worth in your estimation? And what is the basis of your estimation? (just a guess - Ibanez, Eastman, maybe Heritage).

How do you think its stacks up to a Gibson, Heritage or a custom luthier's competitive model? (And of course custom ordered, all carved instruments are all that can be considered for the comparison).

User Info Menu

Hand made guitars don't typically have list and street prices as they don't usually involve a middle man. The price is the price. On the guitars I have had made, each has been worth far more than the price.

Shawn, you're gonna love it more and more each day.

bob

User Info Menu

close, but no cigar.

if the price came from the website its MSRP. it's stupid to even ask.

when an item is discounted (house, car, boat, guitar, consumer good, strawberries in July, figs in October) they tell you so. when have they not?

if it doesn't say it's discounted, then its not. which means of course its MSRP, stupid.

User Info Menu

Were you responding to what I posted, fumble? If so, I am not sure what you are trying to say.

bob
    Last edited by uburoibob; 08-02-2013 at 12:04 AM.

User Info Menu

half yes, half no.

1. jabberwocky is the one who asked the question about MSRP, while simultaneously criticizing the price of the instrument, not you.

2. Luthiers are different. This is something that I know. B's web site guitar prices are negotiable. This is something that I know.
    Last edited by MarkRhodes; 06-06-2014 at 02:24 PM. Reason: Insulting fellow member

User Info Menu

If you were able to negotiate with Bob, then that's great for you. Generally, when someone is making you a guitar from scratch, unless they are very hungry when they answer the phone, that doesn't happen.

MSRP indicates Manufacturer's Suggested Retail Price, which implies that there is a wholesale price that a retailer would pay and some sort of room for discounting between the two - including a 'street' price, based on years and years of precedent. Also, manufacturers are fond these days of MAP, which is Minimum Advertised Price, which is a response to retailers bitching about not making enough money because other retailers are advertising for less than they do.

When the manufacturer IS the distributor, such as Bob Benedetto, Steve Andersen, Ken Parker, Ted Megas, Tom Ribbeke, etc, the price they set is intended to be a selling price. Depending upon their back order status, they might be willing to negotiate that price. But it is generally not thought of as an MSRP. It is thought of as their price. Typically, they are thought of as artisans/luthiers rather than 'manufacturers.'

You'll note that I managed to state this without calling anyone 'stupid' or driving wedge references to proffer some arcane and pejorative political position.

Bob
    Last edited by uburoibob; 08-02-2013 at 07:22 AM.

User Info Menu

Benedetto has always been at a set price as long as I have known, they only sell direct now so any inventory you find at dealers is either used or from the initial arrangement they had in setting up the Savannah shop and getting certain dealers on board (and may or may not be discounted). I have played some in-stock 3 year old instruments at old dealers and I will say none of them were ever interested in budging on price. Since the recession started hitting the boutique guitar market I believe Benedetto went direct (also since a large number of instruments were custom anyways). If you look there are still some "brand new" Benedettos out there with dealers - thats really where I was able to play several and dial in exactly what I wanted.

With regard to price in general - what is expensive is all relative on several fronts. To me any custom made hand build specialty instrument that you play and keep for a lifetime (plus pass on as an heirloom to your heir) is well worth the price over most things people buy in society. Fine custom made guitars are cheap IMO compared to a lifetime of overspending on cigarettes, automobiles, gasoline, and interest debt (now those things are expensive).

Some of us look at guitars as utilitarian tools where others look at them as romanticized extensions of our soul that we can get teary eyed thinking about. I hope to be somewhere in the middle.
    Last edited by shawntp; 08-02-2013 at 01:03 AM.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by uburoibob
    If you were able to negotiate with Bob, then that's great for you. Generally, when someone is making you a guitar from scratch, unless they are very hungry when they answer the phone, that doesn't happen.

MSRP indicates Manufacturer's Suggested Retail Price, which implies that there is a wholesale price that a retailer would pay and some sort of room for discounting between the two - including a 'street' price, based on years and years of precedent. Also, manufacturers are fond these days of MAP, which is Minimum Advertised Price, which is a response to retailers bitching about not making enough money because other retailers are advertising for less than they do.

When the manufacturer IS the distributor, such as Bob Benedetto, Steve Andersen, Ken Parker, Ted Megas, Tom Ribbeke, etc, the price they set is intended to be a selling price. Depending upon their back order status, they might be willing to negotiate that price. But it is generally not thought of as an MSRP. It is thought of as their price. Typically, they are thought of as artisans/luthiers rather than 'manufacturers.'

You'll note that I managed to state this without calling anyone 'stupid' or driving wedge references to proffer some arcane and pejorative political position.

Bob
    good point about MSRP. perhaps it would be more accurate to say:

1. a yet-to-be-built custom order reduces the buyer's negotiating leverage. further, if a builder has a full backlog of orders, he can be very disinclined towards pricing flexibility. I've been there and done that. I wasn't referring to this 16B anyway, I was referring to the price range quote brought into the discussion from the complainer above.

2. on the other hand, an in-stock instrument can be a burden to the holder (unless they're operating a museum). been there and done that too.

I look at the B's boutique concept as being similar to a custom homebuilder's building a of a spec home (not necessarily a loaded "model" home). that is, they show the potential clients a real example of what they can have and stimulate sales as a result. The point is - such spec homes are typically open for much more flexible negotiations. Been there done that too. (analogy wise, the dollars are far bigger for a home than they are for a custom guitar of course, but everything is relative. custom guitars are expensive, which was the complaint here.)

one may have noticed that B's boutique has fewer "spec" instruments being offered these days. to your point, and in a reasonably healthy economy, that should support firmer pricing.

finally, yes I have a low tolerance for the inevitable complaints about fine guitar pricing from those who either can't or won't fund such a purchase themselves. every single time that a proud and excited owner enters their NGD post for anything "L5ish" or above, the "why can't I have one?", "that's too expensive" cry babies start complaining.

the answer is simple, they've made their life choices. they needn't complain to the world.
    Last edited by fumblefingers; 08-04-2013 at 12:04 PM.