The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Posts 1 to 17 of 17

User Info Menu

Hallo! Does anyone now goog guitar luthier in amsterdam - I need to change frets on my Sadowsky semi-hollow and fretwork on my Gibson Herb Ellis....

Thank you in advance for your answer!

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Marcis
    Hallo! Does anyone now goog guitar luthier in amsterdam - I need to change frets on my Sadowsky semi-hollow and fretwork on my Gibson Herb Ellis....

Thank you in advance for your answer!
    Frans Elferink

User Info Menu

Daniel Slaman. But I don't think Daniel does re-frets.

How about sending it across The Channel to Phil Hartley Guitar Repairs - Refret ?

User Info Menu

Jabber',

Bent je uit Nederland, of woonachtig in Amsterdam? Ik dacht dat je waren gesitueerd in de USA?

Chris

User Info Menu

Heh, heh, Alles Kits, Chris! I have a Daniel Slaman 1923 L-5 and communicated with Daniel briefly, who writes and speaks impeccable English incidentally.

Ik speakee no Dutch and I am really sorry about being monolingual and all.
    Last edited by Jabberwocky; 07-23-2012 at 11:43 PM.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Jabberwocky
    Daniel Slaman. But I don't think Daniel does re-frets.

How about sending it across The Channel to Phil Hartley Guitar Repairs - Refret ?
    Phil built an excellent parts Tele for me a few years ago.

I've also recently had excellent archtop repair work done by Knight Guitars, also in the UK, as recommended to me on this site.

User Info Menu

Daniel Slaman is situated in Den Haag (The Hague), 40 minutes from Amsterdam. Also in The Hague: Richard Heeres (www.heeresguitars.nl). Richard re-fretted one of my guitars and did a very very good job!

From what I heared, a good luthier in Amsterdam is Ferdinand van den Berg (www.fernsguitars.nl).

Frans Elferink is indeed also a good one, but situated in Noordwijkerhout, close enough to Amsterdam for you? (Elferink Guitars)

You can also contact any of the guitar stores: The String (www.thestring.com), De Plug (www.deplug.nl), Sacksioni (www.sacksioni.nl), Dijkman Muziek, and there a more. They all do repairs and probably also refrets. I think they are a little cheaper than the luthiers, but have no experience with their work.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Little Jay
    Daniel Slaman is situated in Den Haag (The Hague), 40 minutes from Amsterdam. Also in The Hague: Richard Heeres (www.heeresguitars.nl). Richard re-fretted one of my guitars and did a very very good job!

From what I heared, a good luthier in Amsterdam is Ferdinand van den Berg (www.fernsguitars.nl).

Frans Elferink is indeed also a good one, but situated in Noordwijkerhout, close enough to Amsterdam for you? (Elferink Guitars)

You can also contact any of the guitar stores: The String (www.thestring.com), De Plug (www.deplug.nl), Sacksioni (www.sacksioni.nl), Dijkman Muziek, and there a more. They all do repairs and probably also refrets. I think they are a little cheaper than the luthiers, but have no experience with their work.
    Well, An Orange man speaks (in English, no less)...and I'm not talking about Syracuse.

User Info Menu

English is our lingua franca, which is Italian for French.

User Info Menu

Well, An Orange man speaks (in English, no less)...and I'm not talking about Syracuse.
    Thank you... I guess?? Ehr.. Syracuse Orangeman.. that's football right? Overhere it's mostly soccer, so I don't know too much about that....

If you live in a country as small as the Netherlands, you HAVE to learn foreign languages to get around.... only 0.0001% or so of the world population speaks Dutch.... A good thing Dirk made English the language for this forum, since even less people speak Flamish (which is almost the same as Dutch, but not quite).

User Info Menu

Thank you... I guess?? Ehr.. Syracuse Orangeman.. that's football right? Overhere it's mostly soccer, so I don't know too much about that....

If you live in a country as small as the Netherlands, you HAVE to learn foreign languages to get around.... only 0.0001% or so of the world population speaks Dutch.... A good thing Dirk made English the language for this forum, since even less people speak Flamish (which is almost the same as Dutch, but not quite).
    The Surgeon General says that people who know foreign languages (everything that is non-American is foreign) are smarter. Spanish is not a foreign language (from the American perspective).

P.S. I don't know if the Surgeon General actually said that but I'll attribute it to his office anyway.

P.P.S. I failed French, German, Spanish and even Mandarin Chinese so you see, I am an equal missed opportunity polyglot. You might say I am no cunning linguist.
    Last edited by Jabberwocky; 07-24-2012 at 12:02 PM.

Really it helps - Thanks

User Info Menu

The Surgeon General says that people who know foreign languages (everything that is non-American is foreign) are smarter. Spanish is not a foreign language (from the American perspective).

P.S. I don't know if the Surgeon General actually said that but I'll attribute it to his office anyway.

P.P.S. I failed French, German, Spanish and even Mandarin Chinese so you see, I am an equal missed opportunity polyglot. You might say I am no cunning linguist.

User Info Menu

Is that like Speaking In Tongues?

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by mangotango
    Is that like Speaking In Tongues?
    You mean like this guy here:
    ?

User Info Menu

One of the greatest master luthiers and repairman in the Netherlands is Wout Bosma, I praise him with the work he has done over the years, and the experience he has. He is the founder member of Dutch association of arch top makers and the member of Dutch association of musical instrument makers. He is a professor in instrument building and gives lectures in Gent Hogeschool in Belgium. He isn't located in Amsterdam, but in Dordrecht. That guy is a worth visiting.

He made a jaw dropping fret work to my Gibson Johnny Smith from 1966, and repaired a crack behind the pick guard, and noticed so many small details about how the guitar could be better, including the balance between the nut and the bridge. He made a completely new bridge to my Gibson Johnny Smith saying the old one was not well intonated, and indeed, he made it better than the original Gibson bridge from 1966, and the he made an identical binding to the original one, and still that bridge looks identical to the original Gibson bridge from 1966. I would say my guitar is now in better shape than ever, and plays even better, despite the fact that guitar has already existed since 1966, made in the old Gibson factory in Kalamazoo.

I can recommend Wout Bosma to anyone looking for quality reparwork in any demanding cases of repair, including guitars, violins, lutes, double basses, cellos, violas, you name it. Wout Bosma can fix and build anything, be it any type of string instrument.

I tried his D'Angelico New Yorker copy, every bit as good as the original ones in terms of look and sounds, the pricing is of course, much lower compared to the vintage D'Angelicos, but he is capable of doing some prestige arch top guitars for reasonable price.

Welcome at Bosma Guitars

Here is my guitar when I bought it and after Wout Bosma's amazing work, see the images below.

Guitar Luthier in Amsterdam-ulmnki1t3kdv6xrjry1x-jpgGuitar Luthier in Amsterdam-60424986_2295181587397128_903519436697239552_n-jpg
    Last edited by Epistrophy; 05-25-2019 at 03:08 PM.

User Info Menu

Wout is capable of doing the woodblock in the tailpiece and engrave the name of Johnny Smith to the woodblock made of ebony. The original blocks were made of wood instead of plastic, when it comes to the earliest Gibson Johnny Smith models. In any case, wood is preferable to plastic.