The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Posts 1 to 18 of 18

User Info Menu

I posted this on AGF, but thought I would share here, as well.

I was lucky enough to be present when the wonderful Santa Cruz folks put top and bottom together on my upcoming OM. Just seeing the unfinished woods and it coming together was awesome. The guitar should be done in the next week or so. Here are some initial shots. As guitar wonks, I thought the behind-the-scenes might be of interest to some.

Here is a video I took of the actual binding together. I am there with Richard Hoover, leading the tour, Eric Skye, player extraordinaire, and Sam, the craftsman building the work of art.

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

And, here are some pictures just taken as the guitar dries.

User Info Menu

Here are some shots as they finish the build. I am like an impatient child, but the wait looks well worth it.

User Info Menu

Gorgeous guitar! And the amazing thing about a Santa Cruz is they sound as good as they look That top wood has me stumped though, is that cedar? Anyway, congrats!

User Info Menu

Looks like Redwood.

User Info Menu

I watched the video. It is Redwood. They call it Sinker Redwood. And they describe its acoustic characteristics as similar to Cedar.

User Info Menu

It is indeed Redwood. Sinker Redwood with East Indian Rosewood B/S.

To sidetrack a little, here is a video we took of Eric Skye playing a 1929 OO they had in-house. Eric is playing McCoy Tyner's Contemplation. The guitar is really is really stellar and fun to play. The rattling and dog bark is one of SCGC's resident dogs.

User Info Menu

Matt, you have a great looking guitar there. No doubt it will sound awesome.

Eric sounds good on that mahogany topped guitar too.

User Info Menu

Daaaaaammmmn.

User Info Menu

Thanks, Guys. It will be my second SC, and I am very happy to be getting it. It was actually a gift from a friend and client-- which makes it all the more special.

We also took more video of Eric playing and have an approximately 75 minute video of Richard giving us a tour of the shop, walking us through each phase of the build. It is getting edited now and I will post as soon as we have it.

User Info Menu

Curious, do they also build archtops or is acoustics what they focus on?

User Info Menu

Flat-tops are what they're famous for but they've also offered archtops as a custom order in the past. Not sure if that's an option anymore ...

User Info Menu

They in fact had a beautiful archtop there for purchase. A side project. Beautiful and way beyond my capacity. An incredibly talented bunch of builders.

User Info Menu

I'll give them a call. Santa Cruz is about a 40 minutes from where I'm located.

User Info Menu

My guitar shipped... Yay!

With Richard Hoover prior to posting.

User Info Menu

Nice pictures and great video to watch! Congrats on that man! I love Santa Cruz Guitars!!

User Info Menu

Congrats! What a fun journey that must have been. Thanks for letting us tag along for the ride!

User Info Menu

I mostly use them flat geetars fer hillbilly music.