Posts 51 to 68 of 68

User Info Menu

Since this thread resurfaced, I'll add a few more:

CB Hill (Southern California);
    Chris Forshage (Texas);
    Rob Engel (Conn.);
    Dan Koentopp (Chicago);
    Ralph Novak (Oregon).

My other favorites have already been mentioned here.

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Someone really needs to produce a full size poster of those headstocks/tailpieces. My music room needs one.

Very interesting post. Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by PTChristopher
    Hi Finearchtops,

>>> Greetings to archtop lovers. Come check us out at FineArchtops.com

I took a look at your website, but I do not get it.

How do you fit into a purchase from one of the builders? (Noting your website disclaimer,...)

Or more bluntly, how do you generate revenue from the site?

I just think it is reasonable to understand where everyone stands in this small (but oh so nice) niche of the guitar market.

Chris
    Hi Chris,
    Actually, we do not fit into the purchase of a guitar. Our function is to provide marketing and Internet visibility for the luthiers. The consumer has the ability to instantly access each luthier's website and communicate directly with the luthier.

Steve

User Info Menu

Hi Steve,

>>> Our function is to provide marketing and Internet visibility for the luthiers.

Sounds great for the guitars we love.

How does one run such a function as a business? Do the luthiers pay for the exposure? For the re-directed website hits?

Thanks for the nice site.

Chris

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Hammertone
    Now seems like a good time to remind all you archtop lovers that many of the top archtop builders will be at the upcoming Montreal Guitar Show (June 29-30/July 1) in, well, Montreal. I go every year and have a blast.

It takes place during the Montreal Jazz Festival, which is just one big party.
    Just SOME the builders in attendance (I've only listed those whose archtop instruments I have played at previous shows or in the past:

Alan Carruth
    Ken Parker
    Linda Manzer (Canadian Builder)
    Tony Duggan-Smith (Canadian Builder)
    Brian Kingston (Canadian Builder)
    Cristian Mirabella
    David Wren (Canadian Builder)
    Doug Harrison (Canadian Builder)
    Erich Solomon
    Mario Beauregard (Canadian Builder)
    Greg German
    Michael Greenfield (Canadian Builder)
    Michael McCarthy
    Oskar Graf (Canadian Builder)
    Peter Hopkins (Canadian Builder)
    Tom Ribbecke
    I'll be there as well. Stop in & say hello. Hyde

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Patrick2
    If you are within quick and easy proximity of the builder's shop . . . and he is comfortable with you stopping in occasionally to check on the progress, that's a HUGE plus!! That will play a huge roll in you being able to bond with that guitar . . . even before you play the first note on it.
    It's a magical thing to build a guitar. I can only imagine being on the receiving end of watching my personal guitar being built buy another's hands.

User Info Menu

Apologies if this is redundant but I was extremely surprised to see one name in particular omitted...

Victor Baker
    » Victor Baker Guitars NYC

By far my favorite luthier and some of his models start at $3200 I believe. He's building me a Custom 14 right now.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by bluewaterpig
    Apologies if this is redundant but I was extremely surprised to see one name in particular omitted...

Victor Baker
    » Victor Baker Guitars NYC

By far my favorite luthier and some of his models start at $3200 I believe. He's building me a Custom 14 right now.

One of my favorites too.. and a great guitarist. His 14'' archtop (which he performs with) produces a great full fat tone, I'm ordering one soon.

Cheers,
    Arnie.

User Info Menu

Steve Holst

User Info Menu

I realize this is an older thread, however my understanding is that Jim Mapson has not been building for several years.
    Which is really too bad as he was building some truly outstanding instruments. Jim came from a heavy engineering background and had a lot of attention for a while when he did custom builds for Mundell Lowe, Ron Eschete and Frank Potenza.
    As I recall he had some other big name endorsers too. I had the pleasure of ordering a 7 string from him that was simply stunning. I sold it back to him when I went back to 6. Wished I'd kept it!

I have not seen Phoenix Guitar Co. listed here. George Leach is very talented and builds some beautiful archtops at resonable prices. His shop was located in Scottsdale near the airport however my understanding is he is now located in Torrance, CA.
    Last edited by SierraTango; 06-08-2014 at 10:50 AM.

User Info Menu

I don't see McCurdy on the list he is a great archtop maker.

McCurdy Guitars

User Info Menu

CB Hill should be on this list as well. He's currently building me a 7 string archtop.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by SierraTango
    I realize this is an older thread, however my understanding is that Jim Mapson has not been building for several years.
    Which is really too bad as he was building some truly outstanding instruments. Jim came from a heavy engineering background and had a lot of attention for a while when he did custom builds for Mundell Lowe, Ron Eschete and Frank Potenza...
    I wrote to Jim Mapson in 2012/2013 and he said that he was in hiatus. He has stopped building for the time being but he means to get back into it as soon as he finds some time from his main engineering business. So, I guess we would all just have to wait until Jim Mapson decides to get back into it. And he plans to. His website is still very much alive. Jim bought the Jazz Standard back from Adam Rafferty and offered it to me. I didn't have the funds then. You (epicene) could just write to him and see if he still has it for sale.

The closest archtop to the Mapson Jazz Standard that I can think of is the equally elusive Collings City Limits Jazz.
    Last edited by Jabberwocky; 06-09-2014 at 03:25 AM.

User Info Menu

As of March, Ed Schaefer in Austin is no longer building archtops.

User Info Menu

Yes, Jabberwocky, my understanding from Jim the last I spoke to him, and it's been a while, was that "someday" he intended to build again. When I visited him at his place of business and placed an order, and this was around fourteen years ago, his shop was located in the back of his engineering plant on Susan Street in Santa Ana. I recall the main business had something to do with PC board design and I think his brother was involved in that also.
    Jim is/was a very precise and exacting individual. I recall he also had a passion for racing cars as there was a race car in the guitar building area. I think the guitar he built for Mundell Lowe had some sort of sound post between the top and bottom plates to combat feedback. Some local players may recall "Mapson Players Night" which was a showcase of his work held at Steamer's in Fullerton. I recall hearing Ron and Mundell on at least one of those occasions.

The 7 String Jazz Standard that I eventually sold back to Jim ended up with John Ambercrombie or that was the last I heard. So it found a good home!!

User Info Menu

The list is missing some great luthiers no doubt, I don't see Roger Borys in it either. Although he'd probably like it that way. In over 35 years he never had a website, never advertised anywhere and always had a waiting period of at least 18 months for his guitars...

Arnie..

User Info Menu

Archtop Guitar by Edward Maday ,... - Edward Maday Violin & Viol Maker | Facebook

I have never played his guitars, but I do know this mans work. I've played basses that he's made and they are absolutely world class. Works mostly with hand tools, cooks his own varnish, often uses wood he cut down and milled himself. a treasure in the instrument making world. Prices are very reasonable as well. (as far as world class hand made string instruments go)

I really wonder what the results would be like if more violin makers built archtop guitars. The ones I am friendly with all seem to like the idea of it.

User Info Menu

Roger Borys Borys Guitars