Jazz Guitar
Likes Likes:  0
+ Reply to Thread
Posts 1 to 7 of 7

New Bass player needs some tips about anything.

Hi! I am a 21 year old who is starting to play bass. I have a musical background and I play violin and some other instruments. (Not guitar though) I started to pick up stand up bass and a musician at my church gave me a nice electric bass because he says he had too many. It can go up 2 octaves on a string and I am going to take lessons. I got it literally 2 days ago and started learning some lines (My favorites are Feel Good Inc. and Pumped up Kicks). tech news free netflix android 9 I am having some problems, like my pinky finger not stretching far enough to hit a note, or not being able to play fast with my fingers or my left hand getting cramped when playing (It is my fret hand). Advice on anything would be helpful but especially on the stuff above. Thanks!
    Last edited by viprit77; 03-02-2019 at 02:36 AM.

2. # ADS
    The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

Keep on practicing in small units. You need to build up strength in your fingers first. The rest will follow.

Gesendet von iPhone mit Tapatalk

Here's a tip from a 6-string guitar player. I'm terrible on bass. Hey, at least I ADMIT IT!

Hold the pocket! Keep it simple. And if the guitar player(s) is/are too much on the low E and A strings, tell 'em!

Because there is nothing worse than a Bass player who tries to follow ME!

Quote Originally Posted by dickbanks View Post
    ... there is nothing worse than a Bass player who tries to follow ME!
    Ha, great!

yes, careful. mindful practicing will take care of your hands and fingers, and a lot of listening would get you into playing bass like a bassist. McCartney, Ron Carter, Jaco, Ray Brown, are good models for both note choice and chops.

Concerning electric bass:
    Find an instructor who is an actual bassist. Not a guitar player who give bass lessons. Have your instructor explain position playing and stick to it. Pay attention to your posture and hand positions on the instrument, and don't wear it too low.
    Get into the habit of practicing to a metronome and/or drum machine. There are free apps for this.

And above all have fun with it.

A lot of bass players, myself included, don't play a fret per finger, especially on the lower part of the neck.

On this image the fingerings are above the notes. There is a slide and a slight shift in hand position going from the C# to the D, both of which are played with the 4th finger. In the second measure, going from C natural to D, there is the same shift in hand position to fret the D.

The easiest place to finger a clean note is right behind the fret. To far behind the fret and it takes more pressure to hold the note down. Right on top of the fret and you deaden the note. Just get close to the fret and not on top of it. Your thumb position is important too, se image below. Experiment with how hard you need to push to get a clean note. Don't push/squeeze harder than you need to.

And as stated above, get an instructor to at least get your body and hand positions correct.
    Attached Images Attached Images New Bass player needs some tips about anything.-bass-notation-jpg New Bass player needs some tips about anything.-hand-bass-jpg 
    Last edited by fep; 03-02-2019 at 12:22 PM.
    B+
    Frank (aka fep)

Join our Facebook Page

Get in Touch

Jazz Guitar eBooks
How To Get a Jazz Guitar Tone?
Privacy Policy

Follow us on:

Jazz Guitar Online on FacebookJazz Guitar Online on TwitterJazz Guitar Online on YoutubeJazz Guitar Online RSS Feed