Jazz Guitar
Learn how to play jazz guitar with our eBook bundle
+ Reply to Thread

Any Other U-Bass players out there?

For those who have never seen one, the Kala U-Bass is built on a modified baritone ukulele body with a beefier neck, polyurethane strings (like rubber o-ring material) and a specially designed pickup to make it work. I have fun with it, and would love to hear anyone else’s experience with them.

So here’s my story on how I found it. A bunch of guys at church get together and play bluegrass gospel and at the time, my only guitar was my Cordoba (a flamenco setup) so I would comp chords on the back eat high on the neck like a mandolin chop. So since we had six guitarists one guy bought a mandolin and I decided to look for an upright bass (which I’ve never played). Long story short, I found out about the U-Bass by checking out a bluegrass group on YouTube that had one and I was blown away by the tone. It wasn’t a true upright sound, but it was pretty close, and closer than any long scale, steel string bass or acoustic bass guitar. I found one at a music store on the other side of St Louis and bought it after ten minutes or messing with it.

Now every time someone new joins our bluegrass jam, they almost always look at me with it and smirk. And then when they here it, they almost always have to pick their jaw up off the floor. And then I have to fight to get it bakc fro them, when they check it out.
    Redeemed, Husband, Father, Veteran. Thankful for all four!

Godin 5th Avenue, Córdoba GK Studio, and a Chibson Firebrand knock-off guitar with Vintage Vibes pickups; Kala uBass; L.R. Baggs DI Preamp, 1954 Magnatone Varsity (5-watt class A) and Carvin MB12 amps, plus kazoos and harmonicas

I had a fretless one for a week. It was great for half an hour. By the end of the week I knew it wasn't for me, so sold it. Impressive, though, I'll give you that.

I want one if that counts!!!

I've played one and if I could afford to, I'd get one, but there are other things before it on my shopping list....

I remember seeing this and posting it here about 5 years or more ago.

I like this one:

Redeemed, Husband, Father, Veteran. Thankful for all four!

Godin 5th Avenue, Córdoba GK Studio, and a Chibson Firebrand knock-off guitar with Vintage Vibes pickups; Kala uBass; L.R. Baggs DI Preamp, 1954 Magnatone Varsity (5-watt class A) and Carvin MB12 amps, plus kazoos and harmonicas

I bought a Carlo Robelli U-bass from Sam Ash a few months ago. It was 1/3rd the price of the Kalas they had there. Same construction and playability, too.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Join our Facebook Page

Get in Touch

Jazz Guitar eBooks
How To Get a Jazz Guitar Tone?
Privacy Policy

Follow us on:

Jazz Guitar Online on FacebookJazz Guitar Online on TwitterJazz Guitar Online on YoutubeJazz Guitar Online RSS Feed