Jazz Guitar
Learn how to play jazz guitar with our eBook bundle
+ Reply to Thread

New Book: Classical and Contemporary Studies for Bass Guitar - Rob MacKillop

I first played bass in around 1979/80 in an experimental, Beefheart-type band, and over the years, despite being primarily a guitarist, continued to play and teach bass on the side.
    More recently, in an effort to raise my game as a bass player, I started exploring 19th-century bass studies by the “Paganini of the bass”, one Giovanni Bottesini (1821-1889), whose studies I eventually edited for bass guitar. The intention was to eventually publish them with Mel Bay. However, I also felt the need to present a modern equivalent, 21st-century studies within a contemporary context. So I worked with the Belgian composer, Gilbert Isbin, to create a new contemporary repertoire of studies.
    So, here we have Classical and Contemporary Studies for Bass Guitar (Mel Bay 30676M) which includes 21 studies from Bottesini’s Method of c.1869, and 12 new compositional studies by Gilbert Isbin, whose musical influences include contemporary classical, jazz, folk, and world musics. The book has soundfiles of every item, and for my part constitutes a solo bass guitar album, which I recorded on a fretless bass, though the book is also for fretted bass guitar.
    If you have any questions about the book, please do ask…

The first soundcloud file is one of Bottesini's 19th-century studies. The second is "Yift" (an old English variant for gift) by Isbin.

In fact, here are all the tracks, Bottesini first, Isbin second.

EDIT: Here is a video of the sound files for Gilbert Isbin's 12 studies in a playlist:

. Peter Hammond 0771891524
    Last edited by Rob MacKillop; 07-09-2018 at 02:20 PM.

PS Tab included! Standard bass clef too.

very nice...resume i can hear arco..pure melody

yift puts me in mind of charlie haden-song for che- particularly. robert wyatts version..

enjoyed both

and congrats on the publication of another interesting project!! well done

cheers

Arco would be interesting on a bass guitar you'd just need a curved bridge, but probably a curved fingerboard to match. Someone should try it.That Ibanez acoustic bass would be perfect.

Robert Wyatt and Charlie Haden - two great names to be mentioned in connection with! I'm sure Gilbert would be pleased.

Thanks, neatomic.

New video of one of the shorter pieces:

Now, what would Charlie Haden and Jim Hall have done with that?!

yes that reminds me of haden as well...lovely..could also hear frisell with that

& nice to see the dano longhorn!!...w black tapewounds right?

cheers

ps- yeah heard it a few time now...short...quite like it..again, reminds me of those classic robert wyatt virgin record album tunes..bill maccormick played bass often with wyatt

Last edited by neatomic; 07-07-2018 at 09:01 PM.

Congratulations!

That's right, Rotosound black tapewounds. Fat as hell, though a little suspect in intonation occasionally...the Longhorn is such an easy bass to play. If I could never play guitar again, I'd be perfectly happy playing bass.

I have a couple of books for guitar by Bill MacCormick, which I have to admit are a little mystifying. I didn't know he had played bass with Wyatt - great photo there. Thanks for the info.

I don't know if this bass book and Gilbert's forthcoming guitar book will appeal to many people. I certainly hope so, and believe his work deserves to be widely known and appreciated. He's really tapped into some very cool shadowlands, frequented by the likes of Haden, Frisell, Metheny, post-Schoenbergian classical music, folk-jazz, free improv, etc, and is writing cool intermediate-level tunes which could be used as a basis for improvisation.

I also look upon these books as being free scores to my solo albums Each book's soundfiles amount to a full album, but unfortunately I am barred from releasing them as solo albums. Too bad, as a lot of work went into them. But they come free with the book, so I'm happy about that.

Just for the record, I've edited the initial post to include this soundfile video of Gilbert Isbin's 12 studies:

Join our Facebook Page

Get in Touch

Jazz Guitar eBooks
How To Get a Jazz Guitar Tone?
Privacy Policy

Follow us on:

Jazz Guitar Online on FacebookJazz Guitar Online on TwitterJazz Guitar Online on YoutubeJazz Guitar Online RSS Feed