The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Posts 1 to 24 of 24

User Info Menu

Just wanted to get everyone's opinion on this. There's been plenty of discussion on Frank's greatest drummers so I thought I'd bring up bass players. My pick is Patrick Ohearn. Scott Thunes was a great player but he played with a pick and I hate players who exclusively play with a pick. If it's just for a more percussive sound on a particular style then that's great but otherwise it's bad technique. It's not a guitar. You wouldn't see an acoustic double bassist playing with a pick. Granted they have a bow but that's part of the instrument so it's different!

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Tom Fowler

Yeah I thought about him too. His brother Bruce was a monster on trombone.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by FZ2017
    His brother Bruce was a monster on trombone.
    +1

I don't know who's necessarily best, but that period of Zappa is my favorite. One Size Fits All is probably my favorite Zappa album.
    Last edited by Dana; 06-21-2018 at 12:48 PM.

User Info Menu

Tom Fowler

all are brilliant.

User Info Menu

His brother Walt was a monster too.

Yeah the whole family were very musical. I believe there dad was some kinda conservatory professor of music. So they come from good stock.

User Info Menu

Carole Kaye played with a pick......??

Yeah so did Chris Squire and many other legends but in most cases they were guitar players first including Carol Kaye and I think that's why they used a pick. Don't get me wrong tho Carol Kaye was a monster virtuoso! So was Chris Squire.

User Info Menu

Roy Estrada

...but only when he played the bass

Let's not get started on old Roy. That's a separate issue/subject.

User Info Menu

max bennett..he was a great west coast jazzer and session man...he's on 2 of my faves- chungas revenge & hot rats

and do you count jack bruce on apostrophe? hah

cheers

Quote Originally Posted by neatomic
    max bennett..he was a great west coast jazzer and session man...he's on 2 of my faves- chungas revenge & hot rats

and do you count jack bruce on apostrophe? hah

cheers
    Nope I don't think he even played bass! I believe he said it was cello.

User Info Menu

+1 on Tom Fowler.

I agree that was the best Zappa period ever. Overnite Sensation is hands down my favorite ("Cooties? I ain't got no cooties on me!"), and Roxy and Elsewhere is, again in my opinion, the best example of his live act on record--captures all the virtuosity as well as humor and satirical brilliance.

I would really like to get some of those live hot rats performances. They got some on bootleg tapes floating around.

User Info Menu

its so obviously him on bass...jamming in power trio fashion with jim gordon & fz...its totally his bass tone and playing style that he always used

not a great period for jack...i'd imagine his memory playing tricks

cheers

its so obviously him on bass...jamming in power trio fashion with jim gordon & fz...its totally his bass tone and playing style that he always used

cheers
    You're right but that's what he said. From what I gathered from that interview he didn't really like or get along with FZ.

One thing I do wish is that Frank and Don aka Captain Beefheart collaborated more. Bongo Fury tour could've been a regular thing!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Dennis D
    Carole Kaye played with a pick......??
    Steve Swallow.

Quote Originally Posted by marcwhy
    Steve Swallow.
    Another good call!

User Info Menu

Yeah the whole family were very musical. I believe there dad was some kinda conservatory professor of music. So they come from good stock.
    Dad was a DownBeat columnist 'n' editor.

"Building on the diversity of his musical background, Bill opened a new career – writing –when he joined the staff of Down Beat magazine as Education Editor and regular columnist, a position he held some 13 years. He then joined the staff of Keyboard magazine as Theory Columnist for seven years. In 1974, Bill moved to the University of Colorado at Denver. The same year he formed his own publishing company, Fowler Music Enterprises, which produced more than 22 of his books. After retiring from the University of Colorado in 1994, Bill moved to Los Angeles, where he continued to compose in a variety of styles, from symphonic works to popular songs."

Jazz news: Jazz Educator Dr. William L. Fowler Dies at 91

User Info Menu

cheers
    I gotta agree with that. Bruce and Ginger Baker were musicians' musicians who didn't get the wide recognition they deserved. Bruce especially was so much more than just a rhythm guy.

The problem with having a guy like Clapton in your band is that when he became a superstar, people kind of ignored everyone he left behind.

Bruce shoulda gone the John Wetton route and started a slick pop band, then he could have retired early.

Quote Originally Posted by Doctor Jeff
    I gotta agree with that. Bruce and Ginger Baker were musicians' musicians who didn't get the wide recognition they deserved. Bruce especially was so much more than just a rhythm guy.

The problem with having a guy like Clapton in your band is that when he became a superstar, people kind of ignored everyone he left behind.

Bruce shoulda gone the John Wetton route and started a slick pop band, then he could have retired early.
    I don't know they're pretty well known but you're right that they are way better than maybe they get credit for.

User Info Menu

(snip)
    I hate players who exclusively play with a pick
    (snip)
    Seriously?? You hate Carol Kaye, Paul McCartney, Chris Squire, Phil Lesh, Steve Swallow...?