Jazz Guitar
Learn how to play jazz guitar with our eBook bundle
+ Reply to Thread

Bass parts and solos for standards

I am trying to begin to play duo with accomplished and professional classical bass and cello player.

For the beginning he is asking in addition to common harmonic charts some written out parts in standard notation with probably some solo ideas...
    I know this is probably not the best way to learn, but since he is very busy and fluent sight-reader this could be effective for immidiate start (and I am really interested in it)

Of course I can write it out myself but maybe you can reccomend some good standards collections where the bass part is completely wrtitten in notation (and maybe some bass solo as an example) for educational puposes?

I saw these kind of collections for horns.

Thank you

Do you want to do arrangements of classical tunes? Or are you talking popular "jazzy" coctail arrangements.
    We're talking about arrangements here, of course. I say jazzy because it's the role of the player to create the arrangement themselves, not as a static set of specific notes but as a creative process that has the very real component of being able to vary. At its best, this is an ideal I suppose, but certainly it's the least if you're talking jazz. For "jazzy", well you sound like you want pre-arranged parts that can be worked out ahead of time and performed as a unit.
    If you're hoping to improvise or create an actual improvisational jazz unit, then it will involve a substantial paradigm change for a classically trained musician, akin to a modern classical or folk student learning fluency and performing with figured bass. Reading chord changes is just the beginning, learning the composer's craft is a given for the world of jazz, so it's good to have an idea of your end goal and the realities of it before you start.

What's the material you're working with? Broadway tunes? Schott is a rich resource for sheet music. THey have music for arrangements and cello arrangements for pop and rock tunes are popular these days.
    How are your own tranposition skills? Do you have any arranging chops? It's easy to find piano music and collections of broadway tunes. Rogers and Hart, Rogers and Hammerstein, Lerner and Lowe, broadway anthologies... and a piano arrangement is a great start if you want to do your own arrangements. Bass clef is there, the composer's arrangement is there, but cello clef you'll need to work out on your own.

Are you by a music school? You could look for a film scoring, orchestral or arranging student who'd like to be a part of your project. You'll have to work out what would be a worthwhile arrangement, musically or monetarily of course, but I've done this for a friend who's in a classical guitar/flute duo and it's rewarding, albeit time consuming. Nice project if I were in music school and wanted to to it as a class project. I'd done Jobim in the style of Chopin, Cole Porter in the style of Bach... that kind of thing for them. You decide what's the appropriate direction based on your end goal.

There are sheet music resources for educators, I guess you'd want more challenging arrangements for chamber music ensembles. I had a list of those places, I'll see if I can find them, check on line. I stopped using them when I did my own arrangements. The have LOTS of material, but then again you didn't say what genre you are hearing.

Concert? Cocktail? Functional background? Improvisational performance? You might model yourself on the ensembles with Andre Previn, Yo Yo Ma, Claude Bolling and Rampal. They're a genre within themselves and you'll need an arranger who composes material for that kind of crossover. Do you do that kind of thing yourself? Are you trained in classical and do you have arranging skills?

Tell me a little more about this project. It sounds intriguing. But just be aware, it may be a little more challenging mixing genres of jazz and "classical" if there's not more than a passing knowledge of both.

David

David... thanks for detailed answer but it's much more simple and down to earth.

I came across good classical bassist who does not mind to play jazz...
    It's difficult to find bassist for jazz so I just try to catch it to see how it works...

... nothing special just some standards... I do not want to mix classical and jazz (I hate it actually)))

I just want to play some duos..
    but since the bass player is unexperienced in jazz (and playing from chord symbols) he wants (and I want him too) to begin playing from some written out parts for him... (just for him - not for me).
    so we could start doing something faster.
    He is busy - me too.. we do not have plenty of time for rehearsing.
    Later maybe he will get more into it to develope jazz skills more - maybe not...

There can be some educational collections like 'suggested bass line for 'The Way You Look Tonight' - whatever...

Or transcriptions like grahambop gave the link

Solo material for bass to play over standards should be easier to find once you stop restricting yourself to bass players only. I myself play guitar and I often play lines I heard a horn, bass or piano player play.
    Last edited by T1mothy; 01-16-2018 at 05:49 AM.

I'd recommend a couple of books:

Todd Coolman's "The Bass Tradition" has classic bass solos and walking lines from a variety of great bassists. There are two complete transcriptions of Israel Crosby's work with Ahmad Jamal that are great, Milt Hinton's work on "Flying Home", and several Ray Brown and Ron Carter transcriptions.

Jamey Aebersold sells a book that is Ron Carter's transcribed basslines from the "All Bird" Aebersold. This is the best bang for your buck in terms of a lot of examples of walking lines on standard tunes. Plus, Ron is one of the most efficient bassists ever, so it will be easy for your bassist to read at any tempo.

For learning ornamentation that is idiomatic to jazz bass (ghost notes, skips, triplets, etc), I'd recommend Mike Richmond's "Modern Walking Bass Technique". Mike uses the blues in various keys to demonstrate the techniques, and they will be helpful in sounding like a jazz bass player. Again, the book is all fully written out choruses of walking basslines over the blues, so he can play through the book and, with a good jazz pizz technique, sound pretty good.

Hope this is helpful!

Join our Facebook Page

Get in Touch

Jazz Guitar eBooks
How To Get a Jazz Guitar Tone?
Privacy Policy

Follow us on:

Jazz Guitar Online on FacebookJazz Guitar Online on TwitterJazz Guitar Online on YoutubeJazz Guitar Online RSS Feed