Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Posts 1 to 11 of 11

User Info Menu

Just bought a Rogue VB 100 Violin Bass to experiment with Bass Lines for BIAB backing tracks in my home studio. Can anyone recommend a good size and brand of flatwound bass strings for a basic jazz sound to start out with on this little bass? The strings it came with are squeeky and of poor quality.

wiz (Howie)
    Howie

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

TI flatwounds, they are pricey, buy they play and sound great.

Good luck!!!

User Info Menu

What's the string length? Bass strings come in different lengths - make sure you get the length your bass requires. I'm currently using Rotosound Black Nylon Tape Wound strings, which are great for that double bass sound. They come in four scale lengths: Rotosound Tru Bass 88 Black Nylon Tape Wound Bass Strings - 4 String Set

User Info Menu

You need short scale strings on your vb 100 bass. I think that it has a 31" scale length, if I remember correctly. I agree with Rob Mackillop, the Rotosound 88 tape wound are great sounding strings. If you want a brighter sound the D'Addario chromes are a good choice. I am a round wound player all the way. I have tried a few flatwounds, but I always go back to the round wound strings. I think flat wounds may work better on a short scale bass than they do on a long scale bass, due to the lower string tension.

User Info Menu

actually the violin bass has an odd scale...and odd string length requirements (due to tailpiece and tuner positioning) midway between 30" short scale and 34" long scale..thomastik and pyramids shorts wil fit..but they cost almost as much as the bass!..try labella..they make a specific set..supposedly macartney uses

Rogue VB 100 Violin Bass-j23916000000000-00-500x500-jpg

LaBella 760FHB2 Beatle Bass Flatwound Light Electric Bass Strings

nothing thumps like flats..

cheers

ps- these are the flatwound strings that should (if the rogue is to hofner spec) work on the violin bass---(as you can see the labella beatle set is in there, as well as the thoms & pyramids)

see my next post for more scale info

http://www.bassstringsonline.com/Med...ngs_c_915.html
    Last edited by neatomic; 10-09-2016 at 05:53 PM. Reason: ps-

User Info Menu

good info from same website

30 - 31 inch: Short Scale

Short Scale Strings generally have a 32" winding length from Ball End to the end of the windings or silk. The Scale Length of the instrument is measured from the Saddle to Nut and is between 30 inches and 31 inches for Short Scale.

Short Scale instruments can be tricky to find strings for. Some "Short Scale" instruments actually require longer strings such as Medium Scale or even Long Scale strings. The actual strings required for your specific instrument will depend on the instruments construction.

The most accurate way to determine the string length required is to measure from the Ball End of the string to just past the Nut. Once this measurement is acquired you know the total winding length required for your instrument. If this measurement is within 32" you are indeed looking for "Short Scale Bass Strings."

-------

32 - 33 inch: Medium Scale
    Medium Scale Strings generally have a 34" winding length from Ball End to the end of the windings or silk. The Scale Length of the instrument is measured from the Saddle to Nut and is between 32 inches and 33 inches.

Medium Scale instruments can be tricky to find strings for. Some "Medium Scale" instruments actually require longer strings such as Long Scale strings. The actual strings required for your specific instrument will depend on the instruments construction.

The most accurate way to determine the string length required is to measure from the Ball End of the string to just past the Nut. Once this measurement is acquired you know the total winding length required for your instrument. If this measurement is within 34" you are indeed looking for "Medium Scale Bass Strings.

cheers

User Info Menu

I forgot about the tailpiece on a violin bass. Sorry for the bad info. I hope you haven't purchased too short a string for your bass, Howie. Thanks for posting Neatomic.

User Info Menu

Did those original violin basses ship with tape wound strings? They might be worth investigating as well.
    Completely unhindered by talent.

User Info Menu

the german made violin basses ship with hofner branded flatwound strings..made by pyramid

cheers

User Info Menu

I use TI flatwounds which I love on my Music Man 4 String Bongo. When playing at a gig, someone asked me what strings I use to get that upright jazz sound !! Must also say that I carefully tweak the controls of my Bpngo and my Markbass amp. .. Must also add that I play with a pick, but I also press the thumb holding the pick against the picked string right after the string is picked (thumb doesn't stay pressed against the string of course). This way the sound is a bit damped.

One point the TI flatwound have a lower gauge (45-100) than the Rotosound (65-115).
    Perfection is in the Details, but Perfection isn't a Detail (Leonardo da Vinci)

User Info Menu

la bella and rotosound tapewounds give a nice smooth upright bass sound on a vb (I have a hofner)