The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Posts 26 to 28 of 28

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by pants
    I meant to make the simple point that using a bow opens up a whole new world of expression for the instrument as a lead voice, and that I find it odd that in the history of a genre full of instrumental technique innovations and experimentation, so few bassists embrace the bow as a tool to expand their playing.
    Now along that line of thinking, do you as well find it odd that so few jazz guitarists ever play with a slide?

The foundation of jazz was blues, and early blues instrumental technique as a historical genre was full of slide guitar. Both country music and rock were founded in the blues and both well developed the use of the slide ... but not jazz.

I don't have an explanation for the absence of slide guitar playing in jazz... just an honest sense of thankful relief that it never caught on.

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Ry Cooder's 'Jazz' has him playing some slide on tunes by the likes of Jelly Roll Morton etc. Generally I guess slide is a bit unwieldy for jazz though.

The nearest I've heard is Buddy Emmons playing jazz on pedal steel guitar (he did an album with Lenny Breau).

Having said that, I think Derek Trucks plays some Coltrane tunes on slide.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by grahambop
    Ry Cooder's 'Jazz' has him playing some slide on tunes by the likes of Jelly Roll Morton etc. Generally I guess slide is a bit unwieldy for jazz though.
    Dave Tronzo is a giant and probably the most well known slide guitarist in jazz. I also think Doug Wamble is really great at it, he does a lot of different stuff these days, but still works with JALC and played some nice slide on the recent John Lewis tribute.