The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Posts 26 to 50 of 57

User Info Menu

Once again, blown away by the knowledge here.
    Rob, cool bass. Have fun!
    JD

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Me too, Joe. Neatomic is a VFT - Verified Forum Treasure!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by neatomic
    funny entwistle dano story is that he'd break a string on the longhorn and not be able to find a proper replacement, so he'd buy a whole new dano bass!!

Attachment 35548

cheers
    Yeah, 'Thunderfingers' was laying down the bass part and solos for 'My Generation' when that happened. Pete Townsend wanted the same tone so they had to buy that other bass.

On the subject of short scale basses and that tone I recommend the Fender Mustang bass but it must have the original rubber muting system.

I used to have a wedge of rubber I would fix under the strings near the bridge of all my basses and pluck away on the strings around the 18th fret.
    My old Precision bass had the bridge cover and you could just make out a glue mark on the underside where a bit of rubber was fixed on.

User Info Menu

Well, the Phil Jones Double 4 amp has arrived, but the bass hasn't. Hopefully tomorrow. I plugged my Gibson 345 into the amp, and got some decent jazz tones - useful.

My bass technique will be old school...maybe just thumb around the high frets area. Must find some rubber..

User Info Menu

Jack Bruce's own 5-string Warwick Fretless for sale, a snip at 18,000 UK Pounds:

The Gallery

User Info Menu

cheers rob, and fellows! for the kind sentiment..all your musical passions & generosity inspire my own

Danelectro Longhorn Bass-ouroboros-295x300-jpg

agree with jazzbow about muting...to sound more like an upright the fundamental has to be accentuated and the overtones attenuated...that's the thump...flatwounds certainly are key..as is some kind of mute placed near the bridge/saddle...i always use a bit of foam..a piece lenghty enough to span the 4 strings, maybe an inch wide and just tall enough so that the strings are being touched but not completely muted...you want to see the lines of the strings idented in the foam ever so slightly

the great wrecking crew bassist carol kaye has long been a proponent of both flats and muting...having the fundamental pop through on the recording is her aim..and she's done well by it!! hah...she leaves the bridge cover on her fender and places a small piece of felt between it and the strings..a blanket type effect

and yes playing with the right hand on the neck..as opposed to back by the bridge..very much in the style of an upright player

cheers
    Last edited by neatomic; 09-08-2016 at 10:11 PM. Reason: sp-

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Rob MacKillop
    Jack Bruce's own 5-string Warwick Fretless for sale, a snip at 18,000 UK Pounds:

The Gallery
    good site!!

also like this takamine bass they are selling..had never seen before..arched spruce fretless long scale with fretboard radius of standup..for arco!...lovely

Danelectro Longhorn Bass-photo-26-02-2016-2-jpg

cheers

User Info Menu

Yes, that caught my eye too! Not sure how I'd get along with radiused fingerboard, though, in standard guitar playing position.

User Info Menu

It arrived half an hour ago...and I'm in love It's beautiful, really well made, sounds great, and is easy to play. Plus I just looked on the website where I ordered it from, and they've added another £100 to the price, so I got it really cheap. I wish transactions were always this good!

Now excuse me, ladies and gentlemen, I'm going for a walk...I may be sometime...

User Info Menu

Come back soon Rob.We enjoy you buddy!
    Now go play some Chunes..

Joe D

User Info Menu

Congratulations, Rob, and have fun with it in good health!

User Info Menu

Rob, that was a long walk.
    Silverfoxx, you need to go find Rob and bring him back safely to us. I'm afraid he has dissapeared into some heavenly place where the only audible sounds are very low and deep..
    JD

User Info Menu

Okay, I've been playing non stop for 24 hours...maybe not that long...loving it. I put on the Thomastiks, only three strings fitted. That fourth is just too thick for the hole. But I can live with a bright E for the time being. The sound is great, the neck is so easy to slip around on. The tone switches don't seem to do anything, no matter which extreme I turn them to, the bass always sounds the same. Fortunately I like the sound it has!

Today I want to sell all my guitars and just play bass for the rest of my life. I might not feel that way tomorrow, so maybe I'll hold back.

User Info Menu

Knowing you, you won't be playing the bass like a everyone else does. You will will turn it into a lead instrument like Jaco did.
    So you won't get bored..
    JD

User Info Menu

I'm about a million miles from Jaco, in many ways. Some good, some sad.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Joe DeNisco
    Rob, that was a long walk.
    Silverfoxx, you need to go find Rob and bring him back safely to us. I'm afraid he has dissapeared into some heavenly place where the only audible sounds are very low and deep..
    JD
    Joe, Rob has many strings to his bow, and equally versatile on
    a plethora of different instruments and styles, but you don't
    need reminding either. He will return to Jazz Guitar when he
    is good and ready I suspect. Despite classic leanings he is
    a down to earth jazzman & a funky player.
    Don't be surprised if you hear some Jaco or Jack Bruce stuff
    In the meantime.

cheers Alan

User Info Menu

Thanks, Alan. It's funny: classical guitarists don't think I'm a "proper" classical guitarist. Blues players don't think I'm a proper blues player. Same for jazz, traditional, any other style. To me, it's all music, just glorious music. We are so lucky to be able to take part in it. I just go where my hunger takes me.

User Info Menu

Here we go. A little improv, that wanders between simple minor blues and some phyrgian doodling:

User Info Menu

Excellent Rob.
    You can do it all.
    i look forward to your next video playing the Didgeridoo...
    JD

User Info Menu

Joe, are you publicly admitting you never bought my Mel Bay Fun With The Didgeridoo? Shame on you!

User Info Menu

Nice vid, Rob! The Dano definitely has that thump and that throb. Thanks!

User Info Menu

rob your style puts me in mind of colin hodgkinson of the group- back door...

hope you can view this clip...tho i prefer the dano's tone

cheers

User Info Menu

Very similar at the beginning! I really don't like that sound, though.

I wouldn't call what I did my style - it was just a doodle for the camera. I don't have a style yet, and might never.

citizen74 - glad you like it!

I added a bit more treble on the amp when making the video, as I had been getting a very quiet and mellow tone, which I thought might come over as muddy on the video. Maybe I should have left it as it was. Anyway, it doesn't matter - not great art, just a doodle one Sunday morning. Thanks for reading and contributing to this thread!

User Info Menu

Nice! How do you like the PJB amp?

And don't forget...

User Info Menu

Haha! Don't ever call me a slapper! LOL.

It's a great little amp. Hifi-quality sound. Apparently 70 watts, but I'm nowhere close to that. It does seem very sensitive to placement - back to the wall and on the floor, it is very fat and warm; on my computer desk, not so fat, but never skinny. Quite a nice jazz sound with my Gibson 345 reissue. I might try that again, but with a light overdrive pedal.