Reply to Thread
Posts 1 to 10 of 10

User Info Menu

Is there any difference between short and long scale string sets besides the physical length of the strings?

Assuming the string gauges are similar, can I simply trim strings after stringing? Do I need to do anything to prevent the ends from unraveling? Crazy glue?

I want some flats for a very short scale bass (Ibanez Mikro).

Thanks,
    MB

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

bosko!

no differences in string but length...provided its the same type of string of course..ie pure nickel flatwound, ss round etc

the trouble with getting longer scale strings is that you may have to wind the wound part of the string around the post...some tuning peg holes are not large enough to allow this..also you can run into trouble with the wound part of string unwinding..

ideally you just want to wrap the unwound end portion of the string around the tuners...and have the wound prt end somewhere between the nut and the tuning peg

i see the mikro bass is about a 29" scale..u may get lucky with a short scale bass set..tho they are actually 30" scale...other alternate might be buying a baritone set...and chucking the b & e strings

might want to contact ibanez and find out what they recommmend

luck

cheers

User Info Menu

I spoke to bass strings online and they said 32" short scale strings will be fine on the Mikro Bass. A string manufacturer said don't clip the strings (LaBella), they will unravel and cause problems at the post. I'll try the 32' short scale strings and coil them at the post and see what happens.

Thanks for the reply.

User Info Menu

ok but doesnt make sense..why would a 29" scale bass need a 32" medium scale string..almost certainly will have wound sting wrapped around posts..and maybe as i said, not even fit thru post holes..short scale 30" would seem the best shot

but alas

cheers

User Info Menu

Typo, I meant 30"

User Info Menu

FYI - I'm going to give these a try, thanks.

D'Addario Black Nylon Tapewound Bass Strings - 4-String Set
    Type: ETB92S - Short Scale: .050 .065 .085 .105

User Info Menu

they should thump nicely...hope they go on easy

cheers

User Info Menu

tapewounds are great...

But the Low E doesn't fit on my cheapie Ibanez acoustic electric bass.

The rest of the strings work beautifully and it sounds as close to an upright as I can get in my budget.

User Info Menu

Hopefully they fit on the Mikro, still waiting for delivery.

User Info Menu

They fit fine, sound good to me, and they are easy to play - slurs and slides are very easy with low finger noise. I had to coil the ends as even the 30" scale is too long for the Mikro, but hey, it's not like I am a bass player. This will work fine for some backing tracks and home recording.