Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Posts 1 to 30 of 30

User Info Menu

A year or more ago i stopped playing bass, sold all my gear. Ive played guitar for over 8 years and bass for about 2. The last two weeks i got the urge to start again but I'm on a tight budget.

Im looking at the squier basses. something around $250 or less used since i need to buy a amp also.

suggestions? i really like the look of the CV and P bass

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

I like the Jazz Bass style, because with the bridge pickup, you can get extra note definition if you need it. The asymmetric body design also fits my body better, and puts the playing surfaces in the right position for me. Go down your local shop, try them both on, ( Precision & Jazz styles) and the most comfortable for you is the one. Never buy an instrument you have to fight .

User Info Menu

I got the Squire P bass.

User Info Menu

Check out used Yamaha basses specially the P-bass clones like BB300.

The early ones are made in Japan and are quality.

A used one goes for around $100 which leaves you more cash for amps.

Help me choose a bass guitar-1-023-023129-yamaha-bb-300-s-640x432-jpg
    The p/u is really punchy and the tone control is very usable too.
    Attached Images Attached Images Help me choose a bass guitar-1-023-023129-yamaha-bb-300-s-640x432-jpg 
    “When a wise man points at the moon the fool considers the finger.”

User Info Menu

Yamaha makes very good instruments, that's a good choice, if you like PB and JB, the BB series from Yamaha remain the best choice you will have Precision and Jazz sounds in one instrument.
    But if you want a Squier, the modified series are good.
    Myself I've got a Yamaha BB 415, it's simple and passive.
    The only defect : you can't balanced between PB or JB, there are just a volume, a tone and a selector.
    It sounds like this :

User Info Menu

The Squier Vintage Modified Jazz Bass is an incredible deal. You should be able to find one for $200 or so used--new they're about $300.

As far as an amp, I really like the Fender Rumble 100. I can't believe how light it is for the size and sound output. It is a new design with an improved speaker magnet and circuitry, can't really compare it to prior Rumbles.

User Info Menu

Since you mentioned you are a guitarist...I would recommend a short scale bass (30").
    Since picking up a new Epiphone EB-0 (less than $200) I find myself playing it more often than my 34" scale bass guitars. I know Fender/Squire make short scale basses but I can't remember the models.
    Eddie Charles

"In theory, there is no difference between theory and practice. But, in practice, there is. "

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Doctor Jeff View Post
    The Squier Vintage Modified Jazz Bass is an incredible deal. You should be able to find one for $200 or so used--new they're about $300.

As far as an amp, I really like the Fender Rumble 100. I can't believe how light it is for the size and sound output. It is a new design with an improved speaker magnet and circuitry, can't really compare it to prior Rumbles.
    Oh yes indeed Squier makes good instruments...
    But if you like the Precision and the Jazz Basses, Yamaha BB series are wonderful, think about it, it's the same price (maybe more expensive) than the Squier Vintage Modified but more versatile with a very huge sound.

User Info Menu

I recently bought a Ibanez Mikro bass at GC with a 20% off coupon, about $150 out the door, sounds good and very easy to play for a non bass player like me with a 28.6" scale. Used for jam tracks and recording.
    Ibanez GSRM20 Mikro Short-Scale Bass Guitar

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Eddie Charles View Post
    Since you mentioned you are a guitarist...I would recommend a short scale bass (30").
    Since picking up a new Epiphone EB-0 (less than $200) I find myself playing it more often than my 34" scale bass guitars. I know Fender/Squire make short scale basses but I can't remember the models.
    IMO Short scale basses are really one-dimensional they are cool for that old Rock, Pop sound big round notes, but don't have the punch and definition of full scale bass.
    No, I'm not going to give you the answer to your question. I don't want to deny you the pleasure you'll receive when you figure it out yourself. -- Bill Evans talking to his brother.

User Info Menu

If you're looking at the Squier Vintage Modified series, don't over look the VM Jaguar Bass Special:

Vintage Modified Jaguar® Bass Special | Jaguar® Bass Bass Guitars | Fender® Bass Guitars

It's a PJ hybrid and comes in 34" or 30" scale. (I agree about going for the 34" scale.)
    Build bridges, not walls.

User Info Menu

People rave about the Bill Lawrence P-46 pickup as a P-bass replacement. I haven't installed mine yet. I don't like to do electronics. The low E can be flabby and overall there's uneven sound across the strings with the Squier. From what I can hear it makes it perfect.
    Even without the replacement pickup I like the Squiers.

Try Fender Bass Guitars, nothing beats with the quality and price.

User Info Menu

I've had a MIM Fender J Bass for half my life that I love to pieces. IMO, J style basses make a lot more sense than P style because the second pickup gives you a lot of sounds to play with. The neck gives a warm fat tone like a P bass and the bridge gives that punchy thin prog-rock tone. By blending the two pickups you can get just about any tone you like.

User Info Menu

I've been gigging on bass for over 25 years and my biggest concern is neck-diving. A bass that constantly wants to drop the headstock to the floor is fatiguing and irritating to play

short scales basses are less likely to neck dive. I've never liked them but lots of people do. P vs j is imho not all that crucial. I have a p and a j and a fanned fret dingwall five and they all work fine

User Info Menu

Epiphone Jack Casady Signature Bass

I like the look of these
    Got f holes , that's jazz ....

User Info Menu

When my son was shopping for an electric bass, we looked at a lot of the bass forums. Some people suggested that certain Squires were higher quality than Fenders.

Does anyone know what that's all about?

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Jonzo View Post
    When my son was shopping for an electric bass, we looked at a lot of the bass forums. Some people suggested that certain Squires were higher quality than Fenders.

Does anyone know what that's all about?
    Yep, I would agree with that. The Vintage Modified range would be the one to check out.

If weight is an issue then try a Horner Contemporary Series Violin Bass for all your Beatles needs.

Further up this thread I posted about my Yamaha BB300 Fender copy. Best kept secret of the used market.
    30 years old, lightly relic'd and punchy sounding. It lives in a vinyl gig bag and always delivers when asked.
    I paid £120 for it 18 years ago and they still come up at that price today!

But to summarise those Squiers represent excellent value for money.

User Info Menu

Is it an Asian factory v. Mexican factory thing, or are the components they use better?

User Info Menu

Well, Fender have cornered the market in bolt on neck instruments for the global market.
    They have a price point for all. From the teenager with his Saturday job pay check to the executive wanting a custom shop tailored investment piece.

Leo did introduce student models at a price point back in the day and that ethos carries on today.

So first off they use the Squier brand for student quality to semi professional. All of these brands have been made all over the world. Mainly Asia nowadays.

• AFFINITY from China, student quality
    • STANDARD from Indonesia
    • VINTAGE VIBE & CUSTOM VIBE from China, semi professional quality (Fenders own Pawn Shop Series comes from the same factory)
    • FENDER MADE IN MEXICO is affordable standard and vintage series, professional quality at a working man's wage.
    • FENDER USA for big coin

Then you have the older Japanese and Korean Squier stuff that is increacing in value!
    Quite a mind flub.

If your son wants to learn the affinity series is a good starting point and if he doesn't take it up then you've only paid a small am out of cash.

Do look out for the used market Fender type basses as they come up cheap

User Info Menu

If you can spring for a little extra dough, Warwick's RockBass Corvette (used) will run you about three bones. Two pickups, active electronics courtesy of MEC, great playability and great tones, from old-school Jack Bruce wooly to modern slapping and thumping. I had the five-string version, gigged it regularly and loved it.

Not a big fan of Squier's basses myself. Ibanez's SDGR line has some good offerings too, and as mentioned above, used Yamaha BBs punch well above their weight, dollar for dollar.

I amped my bass with a Peavey TKO 1x15, bought used for about $150 dollars. The graphic EQ -- iirc, 9-band -- made it a pretty versatile box. The thing is old, so no DI output for house sound, and no extension-speaker output means you won't be playing big gigs with it. But for small venues (up to about 100 in the crowd, indoors) it'll do you just fine.

User Info Menu

If you go with a Fender or Squier get these;

Bass Pickups

Bill Lawrence guitar pickups are OK but the bass pickups are great.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by BigDaddyLoveHandles View Post
    If you're looking at the Squier Vintage Modified series, don't over look the VM Jaguar Bass Special:

Vintage Modified Jaguar® Bass Special | Jaguar® Bass Bass Guitars | Fender® Bass Guitars

It's a PJ hybrid and comes in 34" or 30" scale. (I agree about going for the 34" scale.)
    This is a 30" scale bass.

I have one and it's literally the easiest playing Fender I came across in looking for the "right one" for the past 30 years.

It sounds better than some basses costing 3 or 4 times as much. And for the cost, if you want to swap out the pickups for Aguilar , EMG, etc., well you are not into the bass for that much money so it doesn't feel so bad.

You can get them brand new on the interwebs for $200 USD new pretty much everywhere, but I purchased mine via Sweetwater.
    Last edited by Dr Bonkers; 09-30-2017 at 07:53 AM.
    Provider of quality bass and guitar cab impulse response (ir) files here:
    https://www.drbonkerssoundlab.com/shop/

User Info Menu

I love the Squier basses, although I think almost all stock fenders are a bit neck heavy, mostly due to tuner weight. you can buy a lighter set of tuners from someone like hipshot if this is a problem for you. I had a Squier fretless for a while and it sounded fantastic. excellent build quality for a 2-300 instrument.

I have a 90s fender p-bass and it was super neck heavy, replaced the stock tuners with hipshot lightweight tuners and now it's really well balanced.

User Info Menu

I'm sure the OP is still waiting for the right suggestion almost 2 years later. Get a tuba.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by cosmic gumbo View Post
    I'm sure the OP is still waiting for the right suggestion almost 2 years later. Get a tuba.
    Save your money and get a tea chest....

Help me choose a bass guitar-180px-rhoener_saeuwaentzt_guenther-jpg

User Info Menu

Save yer loot and get a jug...poor man's tuba...

User Info Menu

"Songs are very interesting things to do to the air." -Tom Waits

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by jtr View Post
    I've had a MIM Fender J Bass for half my life that I love to pieces. IMO, J style basses make a lot more sense than P style because the second pickup gives you a lot of sounds to play with. The neck gives a warm fat tone like a P bass and the bridge gives that punchy thin prog-rock tone. By blending the two pickups you can get just about any tone you like.
    I also have a MIM J-bass and love it. One thing I did was to replace the controls with an Audere active preamp. It gives me a volume control, a blend control and a 4 band EQ. It was about $100. It didn't change the character of the bass, but the tone-shaping is so much more flexible. (Note that this is an active preamp, not a complete active circuit. The pickups are stock passive.)

Jazz 4B Chrome
    "I'm opposed to picketing, but I don't know to show it." --Mitch Hedberg

User Info Menu

I just bought one of these because I wanted to move to 5-string. Got a mint used one for $270 total with gig bag.

Access Denied