Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Posts 1 to 33 of 33

User Info Menu

So I am considering pulling the trigger on a fender american jazz bass if I do I have been trying to figure out what color I want. I was going to make it black but I have several black guitars at home and was hoping to mix it up a little. I want a deep brown but that is not an option. Then I considered white but then I thought I am not sure white will fit in the whole jazz/blues feel as it may be too bright. so I really don't know what I would get.

My options: dark red, blue, white, black,vintage sunburst, pearl, and bright red.

Thanks

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

That's a great question. Now you've got me wondering. If you were me, what would you get?
    David

User Info Menu

I would select the color you like best and go wit it. Afterall, it's your bass.

User Info Menu

User Info Menu

You want to play it or look at it????
    No, I'm not going to give you the answer to your question. I don't want to deny you the pleasure you'll receive when you figure it out yourself. -- Bill Evans talking to his brother.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by docbop View Post
    You want to play it or look at it????
    It would be the same bass just different color. I just want to give off a good image when i am on stage.

User Info Menu

What color is your shirt?

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Conman View Post
    So I am considering pulling the trigger on a fender american jazz bass if I do I have been trying to figure out what color I want. I was going to make it black but I have several black guitars at home and was hoping to mix it up a little. I want a deep brown but that is not an option. Then I considered white but then I thought I am not sure white will fit in the whole jazz/blues feel as it may be too bright. so I really don't know what I would get.

My options: dark red, blue, white, black,vintage sunburst, pearl, and bright red.

Thanks
    Deep Brown is a bit conservative and maybe even nostalgic in my book.

I think the white and birght red are a bit gaudy.

White and Pearl are a bit prima donna-ish ( I picture the player wearing white pants to go along with it).

Blue is to electric to me.

Dark Red is kind of conservative like Dark Brown but I would go with the good old classic Sunburst.

Good Luck.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Conman View Post
    It would be the same bass just different color. I just want to give off a good image when i am on stage.
    Your playing will speak for you.

There are gigs they will tell you how to dress, but never had one say bring some type or color instrument. Plus buying instrument should be about picking what plays and sounds the best.
    No, I'm not going to give you the answer to your question. I don't want to deny you the pleasure you'll receive when you figure it out yourself. -- Bill Evans talking to his brother.

User Info Menu

Not sure what you should get, but of those colors I'd get vintage sunburst.
    B+
    Frank (aka fep)

User Info Menu

If you're going for a classic look, I like a burst with a tortoise shell pickguard.

but there also a little voice inside me that digs stuff like this Margarita Frost.

Attached Images Attached Images If I buy a bass What color should I get?-lb100_3ts_rwqs_vtgn_tort-1200-jpg 
    Build bridges, not walls.

User Info Menu

Get the sunburst... if you don't like it, paint it.
    Some days it's not even worth chewing through the restraints...

User Info Menu

I got a sea bass. I painted it like a red snapper.
    David

User Info Menu

It doesn't matter what color the dang bass is, as long as you have socks to match, sheesh...

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by TruthHertz View Post
    I got a sea bass. I painted it like a red snapper.
    David
    If I buy a bass What color should I get?-tuna_guitar_fish-jpg

User Info Menu

The vintage sunbursts sound best.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by jasaco View Post
    Dang!!! That's deep!
    Now I'll have to go to music school.
    Learn my scales.

'love it
    David

User Info Menu

P-bass? J-bass? No, seabass.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by BigDaddyLoveHandles View Post
    P-bass? J-bass? No, seabass.
    Okay now we're talking I'll buy the Blackened Seabass!

User Info Menu

White. They usually sound the best.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by jasaco View Post
    You can tune a piano, but can you tune a fish?

User Info Menu

you guys are tone def every one knows the black ones have the best tone.

User Info Menu

Ok you want a real practical advice on the color of your bass?

here we go:

1)Dress like you would dress for a gig

2)choose the color that goes the best with those clothes

User Info Menu

Tritone Sunburst. That is the Fender Precision Bass finish.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by docbop View Post
    Okay now we're talking I'll buy the Blackened Seabass!
    Steamed. And not stirred (fried).

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by EOE View Post
    you guys are tone def every one knows the black ones have the best tone.
    I am tonedeaf -- literally. And I beg to differ. Everyone knows the best tone comes from a baby burst yellow.

User Info Menu

Well my bandmqte Jon collects upright basses - seriously. He has about 20 of them, most of them hand painted by a local artist.

This one is aluminum! Back in the 40's and 50's they actually made school basses out of aircraft grade aluminum for the durability and resistance to moisture effects. He got this for ~$500 and rehabbed it with much time and effort.

If I buy a bass What color should I get?-image-jpg

So metal is pretty cool, but in answer to your question, i would go with the traditional burst. Can't go wrong there.

User Info Menu

^ I've never seen that before. Coolio.

User Info Menu

Sunburst for the classic/vintage look. I agree with others.
    But playing a black bass looks so badass, especially with a maple neck.

User Info Menu

Blaaaaack blaaaaaack!!!! Blaaaaaack!

User Info Menu

Hey guys thanks for the input. I ended up with a natural finish fender deluxe Jazz Bass.

User Info Menu

Of all the choices I had to make while picking my first bass guitar....I had never ever considered color.
    Boy am I glad I joined this forum! It is broadening my experience. I'll keep it in mind on my next instrument purchase. This would then free me from such mundane decisions like scale, number of strings, bolt on or neck thru body, pick ups, etc.

Until now I only considered color when purchasing clothes, automobiles, or ice cream. Even then my mind could only grasp the color I did not want. This opens up an entirely new concept. What color do I want?

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Eddie Charles View Post
    Of all the choices I had to make while picking my first bass guitar....I had never ever considered color.
    Boy am I glad I joined this forum! It is broadening my experience. I'll keep it in mind on my next instrument purchase. This would then free me from such mundane decisions like scale, number of strings, bolt on or neck thru body, pick ups, etc.

Until now I only considered color when purchasing clothes, automobiles, or ice cream. Even then my mind could only grasp the color I did not want. This opens up an entirely new concept. What color do I want?
    Gray (a tad darker than grey) seems appropriate.