Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Posts 1 to 16 of 16

User Info Menu

currently i am working on the keyboard and guitar (getting back in shape after stroke) right now and thought about broadening my horizon by learning how to play the bass guitar. I have ran in to several instances when we needed a bass guitar for practice and there were no players. I figured it would be nice to know some very basic stuff to be able to avoid these situations.

Does anyone know of a nice very cheap bass guitar that I can start out with that is not bad for jazz and blues? I am thinking very cheap to start like one or two-hundred dollars.

thanks

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

For me, the best-sounding cheapo bass is the Epiphone Toby Deluxe IV, which you can have for about two hundred bucks.

HTH,
    Pepe aka Lt. Kojak
    Milano, Italy
    https://soundcloud.com/theodore-koja...hy-bro-project
    Hy-Bro Test Sound Files

User Info Menu

Used Squier Precision for around $100.

User Info Menu

Kramer Focus basses MIJ are cheap and are good instruments.

User Info Menu

Thanks guys

User Info Menu

I spent a lot of time auditioning cheap basses <$500 and found the best sounding and playing bass for jazz and blues was a Fender MIM Precision Bass. $300 used. I put flat wounds on it and it sounds very nice. I imagine the MIM Fender Jazz Bass would be just as nice. Second was a Godin Freeway if I remember correctly.

User Info Menu

I was also looking for a non-pro bass, nice and short-scale and got this Epiphone Allen Woody: http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/EBAKWRGH/ Other than needing to lower the nut a bit, it sounds very good to my imperfect uneducated ears.

User Info Menu

MusiciansFriend house brand Rogue are very good value for the money.

User Info Menu

a used ibanez?? I have a cheapo squier bronco, i grabbed for 28 bucks (new condition) at a garage sale and thats what i use for practice.

User Info Menu

I'd be all over an old USA made Peavey is I was in the market for a cheapo, but I'm sure the other suggestions are good also.

User Info Menu

Used MIM Fender Jazz, used Squire jazz, new Squire Affinity (under $200 from MF). Rogue is also a good bass, but different animal. Just my opinion. Drop a note on the Bottom Line bass list explaining what you are looking for and your price range and ask for replies off list. I'd trust any of those players. Not interested in parting with any of my old Fender kit, but those guys might be.

User Info Menu

Thanks for all the replys guys I ended up with a fender squier J bass.

I got the starter pack for 300. I was origonly goin for 200 needed a bass amp and case so the starter pack came with a bass amp case strap instructional DVD chords and head phones.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Conman View Post
    Nice choice. Have a lot of fun with it!
    "Talent is a pursued interest; anything that you're willing to practice, you can do." - Bob Ross

User Info Menu

SX Jazz bass. Cheap but great copies

User Info Menu

How about free?

I found this in the trash behind my house and after a bit of rehab it's ready to rock again. I happen to know that the bass players for Paul Revere and the Raiders and for David Bowie during his Ziggy phase played this Elektra Japanese bass.

It's got a wide variety of sounds with the 2 pickups, but it's probably more suitable for progressive rock than Misty. The price was right though...

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Conman View Post

I got the starter pack for 300. I was origonly goin for 200 needed a bass amp and case so the starter pack came with a bass amp case strap instructional DVD chords and head phones.
    I am curious. Did you get a 5-string or a 4-string?

I have a 4, 5, and 6 string bass from different brands (Rogue, Squier, and another I can't remember). All were around $100.00. I got them when I first started playing and was not sure where I was going with guitar.