Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Posts 1 to 14 of 14

User Info Menu

I've been playing upright bass for about a year now. Taking lessons (classical) and spending more and more time with the instrument learning my favourite jazz tunes. I've been playing guitar since I was 10 years old, and I still only do gigs on guitar, but I am really starting to love playing bass. Offcourse there is no real problem but it somehow feels like cheating on my first love... Anyone out there playing bass and guitar? How do you cope dividing your attention

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

well, you can expect a lot more gigs to come your way.......

User Info Menu

That's why I stopped playing bass. It's my favorite instrument, despite being a guitarist. It's really fun. I guess you could take a day to practice either instrument, and another day to practice the other, but you should play what you like. If you really like the bass more than the guitar, who's to stop you from taking up the bass as a main instrument?

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by pkirk View Post
    well, you can expect a lot more gigs to come your way.......
    Old joke: teen goes for his first bass guitar lesson, and is shown the notes on the E string. At the second lesson, his teacher shows him the notes on the A string. When the student doesn't show for his 3rd lesson, the instructor calls him up to see what's wrong: "Sorry, I got my first gig!".

User Info Menu

I've been flipping back and forth between guitar and bass as long I have been playing, never played both at the same time. Not too far back I tried getting into upright bass and spend about a year playing it, but gave up on it maybe if I had started at a younger age, but it is an amazing sounding instrument and I love playing with a bow.

Yes get ready for lots of gigs.
    No, I'm not going to give you the answer to your question. I don't want to deny you the pleasure you'll receive when you figure it out yourself. -- Bill Evans talking to his brother.

User Info Menu

Yeah, I guess you guys are right! Allthough I'm really insecure about doing a gig on bass, I have my first one coming up in august... Even though my guitar skills help a lot understanding how to play the bass (knowing where to find the notes) it is a totally different instrument all together. Not to mention the physical challenge... Last week I jammed with a piano player for the first time doing a 2 hour session. My pinky was hurting for 2 days... At the same time that's what I love about this instrument. You really have to dig in. It is a combination of playing notes and percussion at the same time.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Geert View Post
    It is a combination of playing notes and percussion at the same time.
    Like a piano you mean?
    When I got pretty good I went on the road with a group - We starved - Wes Montgomery

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by 2bornot2bop View Post
    Like a piano you mean?
    Don't get me started on yet another instrument!!

User Info Menu

I totally get this - I started out on bass guitar and had an upright bass as well for a short while. No technique, just what I picked up as I went along. But....I have short fat fingers, and so was never going to be Ron Carter.

However, recently I started playing my son's bass guitar at a few workshop band sessions and enjoyed it so much that I invested in a Dean Pace bass - it's an upright fretless bass guitar. You still get the playing style and attack of a double bass, and thus some of the tone of a DB as well; but it's bass guitar scale (and therefore easier on my poor little fingers.....) and so switching is less of an issue. Plus you get the visual of an upright and I was surprised just how much that appeals to an audience for a jazz gig.

And it's great fun to play, and sounds good; so your getting hooked is an easy thing for me to comprehend.

My Summer Project is to get my head and my fingers around playing this bass properly - maybe those gigs will be out there!!

User Info Menu

You could also try a smaller size upright bass (1/2 scale). my 11 year old son, who's also playing bass, plays a 1/2 size bass and the difference in size is considerable. My teacher, whom is a girl, is rather small herself. She plays a full size bass without any problems. I guess it takes some time to build enough strength in your hands to handle this instrument...

User Info Menu

User Info Menu

I dreamed about this thread last nite.
    Favorite Musician: Pythagoras

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by BigDaddyLoveHandles View Post
    From what I remember most play a 3/4 size bass, the full size is more of and orchestral instrument.
    No, I'm not going to give you the answer to your question. I don't want to deny you the pleasure you'll receive when you figure it out yourself. -- Bill Evans talking to his brother.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by docbop View Post
    From what I remember most play a 3/4 size bass, the full size is more of and orchestral instrument.
    And I think most basses that are said to be full-sized are really 7/8. I think you really need to be big to play a fuill-sized bass, or have awesome technique. Scale length is around 43" -- that's 9" longer than a long-scale bass guitar!