Jazz Guitar
Likes Likes:  0
+ Reply to Thread
Posts 1 to 11 of 11

Fender Squier Fretless Bass

Hello friends,

I am really temped to treat me to a FENDER SQUIER FRETLESS BASS.

My main concern is whether flatwound strings originally fitted to these instruments are likely to cause significant wear of the fretboard; or should I change to flatwound chrome / black nylon?

I would like some advice before making a decision, please.

Thank you & kind regards.

BARRACUDA

2. # ADS
    The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

I have a fretless acoustic bass that came with round wounds, do you mean round wounds at the begining of your sentence? Anyhoo, I swapped them for black nylon with a dense rubber wedge by the bridge for that double bass sound. As for wearing the fingerboard Jaco Pastorious, defretted his jazz bass and layered yacht varnish(I think..google for info) on the f/board. I would'nt advocate slapping varnish on your guitar but the rubber wedge is a cheap mod which you can remove at any time.
    “When a wise man points at the moon the fool considers the finger.”

Thanks a lot for your quick response jazzbow; I meant roundwound in the first place, & not flatwound. Please elaborate about the rubber wedge.

Thank you.

5. should be ok, it is only a squire anyhow.

Hi there, sorry for lateness of reply. I'll get a picture up tomorrow to better explain.
    FWIW I think squires are great instruments for their price and gets you to where you want to be. I had a jap squire jazz bass back in the day, and that was excellent! The vintage vibe are good value and I recently played the squire jazzmaster and that was a really good bit of kit, it's made in Indonesia as well as some low end Fender kit.
    “When a wise man points at the moon the fool considers the finger.”

The squier fretless jazz bass has a fretboard made of ebonol, and not real wood. I understand this wears better for using roundwounds, it's very hard material.

Guitar

Quote Originally Posted by BARRACUDA View Post
    ...I would like some advice before making a decision, please...
    Good afternoon, BARRACUDA...
    The answer depend, to a large extent, on what style/sound you're looking for. To emulate a double bass, flats or nylons would be preferred; to get more of a 'Jaco' sound, it will have to be round-wounds.
    If you're to be playing intensively (several hours/day...), rounds will attack the fingerboard in time, but by then you'll have put in one hell of a lot of practice..! I would not worry about wear for a while; there is still time to correct things if it becomes apparent later. In the early stages it's easy o fix, and then apply corrective measures.
    I have a Douglas 6-string fretless; no sign of damage in a couple of years of rounds (although I can't say it's played that intensively...). I also have a Hofner Verithin bass, with black nylons; they're unlikely to damage the fretboard for a couple of centuries or so..!
    The choice is firstly about the sound, though. There's no need to worry about wear right now, imho.
    Hope this helps...

barracude:

I played bass for many years before starting to play jazz guitar and have had several jazz basses that I pulled the frets on as well as a jazz bass with a Warmouth neck with maple fret lines..

Depends on the sound you want...for upright, then yes, flat wouds..

Personally, my basses have wear marks on their fretboard from using round-wounds and these actually give that little "growl" on a fretless...I would not worry about it on a squire..but to get that buzz sound I think most higher end basses have a finish on the neck..

Jaco used Pettit's Polypoxy, a boat apoxy, on his fretboard after pulling the frets...I grew up in south florida and jaco's tech was a guy named Kevin Kaufman in Jupiter..

From the world on "life ain't fair" ...check out Bireli Lagrene channeling Jaco in this video...monster jazz guitar and now bass for fun...unreal. You can see at the beginning he has something on his fretboard as it is real reflective in the lights...

Quote Originally Posted by BARRACUDA View Post
    Hello friends,

I am really temped to treat me to a FENDER SQUIER FRETLESS BASS.

My main concern is whether flatwound strings originally fitted to these instruments are likely to cause significant wear of the fretboard; or should I change to flatwound chrome / black nylon?

I would like some advice before making a decision, please.

Thank you & kind regards.

BARRACUDA
    Thanks a lot for your reply / advice; I bought the SQUIER FRETLESS 3 weeks ago & have replaced the original strings with d'Addario ECB 81 chrome flatwound. . . . nicer jazzy sound.

Quote Originally Posted by bass2man View Post
    barracude:

I played bass for many years before starting to play jazz guitar and have had several jazz basses that I pulled the frets on as well as a jazz bass with a Warmouth neck with maple fret lines..

Depends on the sound you want...for upright, then yes, flat wouds..

Personally, my basses have wear marks on their fretboard from using round-wounds and these actually give that little "growl" on a fretless...I would not worry about it on a squire..but to get that buzz sound I think most higher end basses have a finish on the neck..

Jaco used Pettit's Polypoxy, a boat apoxy, on his fretboard after pulling the frets...I grew up in south florida and jaco's tech was a guy named Kevin Kaufman in Jupiter..

From the world on "life ain't fair" ...check out Bireli Lagrene channeling Jaco in this video...monster jazz guitar and now bass for fun...unreal. You can see at the beginning he has something on his fretboard as it is real reflective in the lights...

Merci Douglas!

Quote Originally Posted by jazzbow View Post
    I have a fretless acoustic bass that came with round wounds, do you mean round wounds at the begining of your sentence? Anyhoo, I swapped them for black nylon with a dense rubber wedge by the bridge for that double bass sound. As for wearing the fingerboard Jaco Pastorious, defretted his jazz bass and layered yacht varnish(I think..google for info) on the f/board. I would'nt advocate slapping varnish on your guitar but the rubber wedge is a cheap mod which you can remove at any time.
    Thanks for your advice - much appreciated

Join our Facebook Page

Get in Touch

Jazz Guitar eBooks
How To Get a Jazz Guitar Tone?
Privacy Policy

Follow us on:

Jazz Guitar Online on FacebookJazz Guitar Online on TwitterJazz Guitar Online on YoutubeJazz Guitar Online RSS Feed