The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Posts 1 to 23 of 23

User Info Menu

NOLA Jazzfest has turned into popfest, Montreux isn't much better. I realize to have a "fest" (a large event) you need to book popular music. But I was curious, are there any JAZZfests left that book primarily JAZZ music???

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

New Zealand: Wellington Jazz Festival, the National Jazz Festival at Tauranga and elsewhere.

User Info Menu

Hildener Jazztage 2023 – Home, Hilden, Germany (near Düsseldorf), 30 May - 4 June

Leverkusener Jazztage, Unsere bisher bestatigten Kunstler und Kunstlerin – Leverkusener Jazztage near Cologne, Germany, November 2023

Sco AND Frisell will be there. Just found out and bought tickets.

User Info Menu

They're changing, that's for sure.

Would love to go to Monterey someday, but Newport might be better. Opinions?

User Info Menu

Chicago's is small comparatively and doesn't get the biggest names (though it gets names jazz fans appreciate) but it is truly all jazz.

I think Detroit's is still pretty top-notch.

User Info Menu

Indy Jazz Fest in Indianapolis is usually pretty jazz-centric, though with an outsized Latin influence.

User Info Menu

We have one in my neighborhood that is very much a jazz festival. Here's a link to last year's (this year is still in the planning stages):

Washington Heights Jazz Festival

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Jazzjourney4Eva
    They're changing, that's for sure.

Would love to go to Monterey someday, but Newport might be better. Opinions?
    I've been to Newport the last 2 years and am attending again this year. I personally have loved the lineups and felt I got my money's worth each year!

User Info Menu

I go to San Jose Jazz Festival and Monterey Jazz Festival every year, for a good number of years… those ones are pretty good… covid sure messed things up though. I hope one day, they get back to what they were. (Also the mass killings, that we experience in the US, has had a negative impact on SJ jazz festival).

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by st.bede
    I go to San Jose Jazz Festival and Monterey Jazz Festival every year, for a good number of years… those ones are pretty good… covid sure messed things up though. I hope one day, they get back to what they were. (Also the mass killings, that we experience in the US, has had a negative impact on SJ jazz festival).
    I envy you. Curious on the last comment though, I don’t know much about San Jose (only the Bacharach song, hehe). Has San Jose decayed to the point that it’s dicey to be out and about? (Not that that is unique these days, to your point)

User Info Menu

Jazz Baltica

User Info Menu

The North Sea Jazz Festival isn't a "real" jazz festival by a very long way, it tends to be dominated by R'n'B, but there are many stages active at any one time and I think you could still spend the entire festival, or nearly the entire festival, listening to top level jazz.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Jazzjourney4Eva
    I envy you. Curious on the last comment though, I don’t know much about San Jose (only the Bacharach song, hehe). Has San Jose decayed to the point that it’s dicey to be out and about? (Not that that is unique these days, to your point)
    San Jose has been fully gentrified… I went SJSU in the 90s, and it was in the process of gentrification. That process has been completed.

The way SJ jazz works, is they have the main park, they use other venues/clubs in the neighborhood, they also close off a few streets. You would end wondering around, going in and out of fenced off areas.

I do not remember what year, (maybe the year of the Las Vegas mass killing), the in and out at SJ jazz became somewhat of a hassle: bag checking and slower lines. I just miss the sense of freedom. C’est La Via

The festival is still really good. Last year they had an organ trio thing, honoring Dr Lonnie Smith. Peter Bernstein is certainly impressive… also the Brubeck Brothers were there and at Monterey.

I have to live a few hours away in a subsection of non-jazz hell (Fresno), but I am grateful I can go. I do miss living where there was always some jazz happening, but things could be worse.

I think covid had a more profound effect on Monterey. They basically got rid of two big stages. I have never paid the big money for arena seating. So far I have been happy.

My son and I used to go to both festivals every year. I now go with my girlfriend. She is a lot less antsy and I can focus a lot more. I do miss my son though.

It's good to hear many smaller jazz festivals are still promoting jazz.

User Info Menu

Here's another: the one in my town is pretty good for a metro area with around 400K pop. Not too many of the biggest names. Julian's been here 3 times and Brubecks at least once. Snarky Puppy and Emit Cohen this year. Lots of Canadian content that I don't know much about. A few too many singers for my liking. Audiences like jazz songs, especially since Ms Krall came from this island.

Not many of the players I would really like to see make it out here. But it's mostly jazz and it's well attended.

User Info Menu

Benson, Scofield, Samara Joy (with P Grasso?) Emmet Cohen trio, The Brubecks, Herbie Hancock, J.Pizzarelli, Melody Gardot, Diana Krall, Buddy Guy, Hiromi, and so many more at the Montreal Jazz Fest....

S

User Info Menu

Djangofest Northwest (on beautiful Whidbey Island) is Gypsy jazz, but it is all jazz, and has some amazing music on the stages and some amazing jams on the streets and in the pubs.

User Info Menu

The Polar Jazz Festival at Longyearbyen on Spitsbergen could be fun.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by ccroft
    Here's another: the one in my town is pretty good for a metro area with around 400K pop. Not too many of the biggest names. Julian's been here 3 times and Brubecks at least once. Snarky Puppy and Emit Cohen this year. Lots of Canadian content that I don't know much about. A few too many singers for my liking. Audiences like jazz songs, especially since Ms Krall came from this island.

Not many of the players I would really like to see make it out here. But it's mostly jazz and it's well attended.
    When we were in Nanaimo we came down to Victoria for Gregory Porter, The Spanish Harlem Jazz Orchestra, and Gogo Penguin. It was a real pleasure.
    Last edited by Jim Soloway; 05-13-2023 at 07:46 PM.

User Info Menu

Nice to know that folks are still enjoying musical outings.

Personally, the term "Jazz" has become so broad that I prefer to relive recordings from the late fifties by artists such as Charles Mingus, Miles Davis, Jimmy Smith and Count Basie. And the CTI albums. For me, jazz is now museum music, everyone is dead, and everything played today is either "retro" or revivalist. There are some live performers who "get it", but of late I hear the oddest music "passing" as jazz. Radio hosts deem anything today as "Jazz". Perhaps they weren't there when it happened and are struggling to understand it themselves.

Montreal's a great city to visit. Especially the old section near the harbour and the mountain in its center. Chicago and NYC are equally exciting. However, the costs of travelling are now unbearable.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by SOLR
    Benson, Scofield, Samara Joy (with P Grasso?) Emmet Cohen trio, The Brubecks, Herbie Hancock, J.Pizzarelli, Melody Gardot, Diana Krall, Buddy Guy, Hiromi, and so many more at the Montreal Jazz Fest....
    S
    Thats more like it! Amazing what a few more million inhabitants can do for a jazz fest :-)

User Info Menu

User Info Menu

I've noticed a dearth of jazz festivals. It's not a festival per se but there are camps now that fill that bill for me now. For the cost of what I'd have spent to go to a festival in the city, I can attend a camp where I can attend events, intimate concerts, duos and trios with the best musicians and I can hang with them during the day.
    I don't have to play or anything, just eat well, go to all day hangs with the artists and attend hours of concerts every night.
    The Alternative Guitar Week is a five day dream come true.
    Last year concerts and workshops (like a living magazine article filled with insightful anecdotes and useful advice) had 5 days of events by John Scofield, Bill Frisell, Mike Stern, Kurt Rosenwinkel, Leni Stern, Gilad Hekselman, Julian Lage, and more, all playing music, giving talks and playing music.

Not a festival like what you might be used to, but more like the kind of intimate hangs that gave birth to the scenes back in the day when you could see a performance and learn from the players too.

Alternative Guitar Summit Camp