The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Posts 26 to 50 of 60

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Christian Miller
    well the thing that would make it better is practice, but I’d rather practice or other things. I’d rather not rely too much on devices on gigs like metronomes and drum machines either. The more of that stuff there is the further it gets away from what I want to do.

id rather just get better at playing the guitar
    You can also look at it from the broader perspective of a jazz musician.
    For example: playing alone with a looper is more independent. You're simply playing with yourself, not with a band.

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by kris
    You can also look at it from the broader perspective of a jazz musician.
    For example: playing alone with a looper is more independent. You're simply playing with yourself, not with a band.
    You can explore the tunes the way you want, time signature, substitutions... It gives you more skills.
    You know more the tunes you play while others say they know hundreds of tunes without their heads and never without their tablets and phones.
    That's true !

User Info Menu

Yes, it's sometimes difficult to get the timing exact in front of an audience. On some models, you can store your comping in memory prior to the performance. But, this could mean navigating the looper's menu to find each song in the dark.

User Info Menu

Alright im gonna go with the LS. I was talking to my trumpet player and he says what's important is sounding good. I think I agree w that. It's more of a cost cutting measure for the venue than anything else. If they didn't pay so low it would probably be a trio or quartet.

User Info Menu

Virtually all of my learning comes from performing live with others.
    No way I would ever forgo that with a loop/sampler type approach.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by pauln
    Virtually all of my learning comes from performing live with others.
    No way I would ever forgo that with a loop/sampler type approach.
    Agreement.
    ...but there are all sorts of situations.
    For example, what is the proposal to play guitar solo without a band.
    For example; John Scofield.
    I think he even said that he uses a looper because he's not Andres Segovia.

User Info Menu

Agreement.
    ...but there are all sorts of situations.
    For example, what is the proposal to play guitar solo without a band.
    For example; John Scofield.
    I think he even said that he uses a looper because he's not Andres Segovia.
    That's a fair question. I perform in two bands, one is a six piece
    with keys, sax/flute, and a female singer. In that one the singer
    is the focus of support from the rest of us, but we each get our
    moments throughout the sets. The other is a instrumental trio
    of bass, drums, and guitar. You may imagine that apart from a
    drum or occasional bass solo, I am playing continuously either
    chord melody or soloing; so that is the closest I get to anything
    like playing solo. If offered to play solo I'd counter offer my trio.

User Info Menu

That's a fair question. I perform in two bands, one is a six piece
    with keys, sax/flute, and a female singer. In that one the singer
    is the focus of support from the rest of us, but we each get our
    moments throughout the sets. The other is a instrumental trio
    of bass, drums, and guitar. You may imagine that apart from a
    drum or occasional bass solo, I am playing continuously either
    chord melody or soloing; so that is the closest I get to anything
    like playing solo. If offered to play solo I'd counter offer my trio.
    There are people who organize only solo concerts.
    They don't want the band for various reasons.
    Will you not consider such proposals?

User Info Menu

I tried with a flautist, the loop station is a very personal thing. He didn't understand what I was doing since the one who's comping has to listen to the soloist it's a pain in the back. You sacrificed interaction for a machine.
    At first it was a duet, now it's a trio, there is a second guitarist, it works better.
    The other night we had a little gig, the guitar player was ill so it became a duet again but without the looper.
    We did the job.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by GuyBoden
    Yes, it's sometimes difficult to get the timing exact in front of an audience. On some models, you can store your comping in memory prior to the performance. But, this could mean navigating the looper's menu to find each song in the dark.
    I do not store the comping. I play it live into the looper. While my partner is soloing, I am comping/looping.

Here is an example of this :

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Last edited by Doublea A; 04-22-2023 at 11:07 AM.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Doublea A
    I do not store the comping. I play it live into the looper. While my partner is soloing, I am comping/looping.

You show the before and after (recording the comping, and soloing over
    the recorded comping) a few times. At 3:48 you show a change from the
    recording to soloing over the recording, and there is an extra bit of time
    inserted (like a youtube video throws a momentary stop-resume glitch).
    Duration is on the order of reaction time about a quarter second, which
    is pretty long in music. Maybe those who produce their loop in advance
    overcome that, and may anyway play live something additionally over it.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Doublea A

I wanted to do this with my partner but it was too static and didn't know what was really happening.
    The only thing he appreciated was this standard.
    Well, I'm alone, it's like a review and it sounds like techno.
    I was just exploring my loop station.

User Info Menu

There are people who organize only solo concerts.
    They don't want the band for various reasons.
    Will you not consider such proposals?
    And who organize barbershop quartets, a cappella doo-wop, and lone
    guitarist folksingers, who also don't want the band for various reasons.
    I do not consider such proposals nor solo concerts, for various reasons.

User Info Menu

These ones are better, I was trying my very first looper, a cheap one that doesn't work very good.
    I did some "gigs" with this configuration.
    I'm sorry for my playing.

I build the tune.

User Info Menu

You show the before and after (recording the comping, and soloing over
    the recorded comping) a few times. At 3:48 you show a change from the
    recording to soloing over the recording, and there is an extra bit of time
    inserted (like a youtube video throws a momentary stop-resume glitch).
    Duration is on the order of reaction time about a quarter second, which
    is pretty long in music. Maybe those who produce their loop in advance
    overcome that, and may anyway play live something additionally over it.
    I have tried that but it then your live performance needs to be the exact tempo of the loop and you need to find each stored loop in between songs which takes a lot longer than a quarter of a second

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Lionelsax
    I wanted to do this with my partner but it was too static and didn't know what was really happening.
    The only thing he appreciated was this standard.
    Well, I'm alone, it's like a review and it sounds like techno.
    I was just exploring my loop station.
    It’s definitely not for everyone. It works for me. If I have a choice, I would much rather play with live musicians but in situations where pay or space is less than generous, I would rather do a gig this way than not do it at all

User Info Menu

With a partner it's too much work, it's like playing with someone who doesn't know the tune.
    It needs rehearsals and now I'm too old to mix rehearsal and teaching, talking instead of playing.
    My partners are older so you can imagine that everyone has to be ready in order to avoid many things that distract from playing music.

User Info Menu

i use a looper as well, just did on my gig last night..i recently bought a Boss RC-5 and it has 100 slots to store songs. I recorded myself in gargeband and then uploaded the track to the RC-5. Works great!!. I just suck at setting up loops on the fly. I dont feel bad that its a backing guitar, i mean its me after all.. just pre recorded. I mix up my gig with 50-50 loops and just chord melody guitar.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by jazzgtrl4
    i use a looper as well, just did on my gig last night..i recently bought a Boss RC-5 and it has 100 slots to store songs. I recorded myself in gargeband and then uploaded the track to the RC-5. Works great!!. I just suck at setting up loops on the fly. I dont feel bad that its a backing guitar, i mean its me after all.. just pre recorded. I mix up my gig with 50-50 loops and just chord melody guitar.
    +1
    And this is very good.
    You have to use new technologies.
    Instead of listening to the whining of musicians from the band at rehearsals ... I play my own ... :-)

User Info Menu

I aint gonna say no to a duo gig. 98% of my gigs are full band, but I think they duo gig can lead to other gigs.

My plan is to live comp the trumpet player (while recording), turn the recorded loop on for my solo, then turn it off and go back to live comping the trumpet player. Then clear it between songs. Then I will go to the next song. Probably will use it for at least 50% of the songs. It's only for my own solos, I am not going to have the trumpet player solo over the loop. I'm going to live comp that so I can interact more.

The more people I have talked to, the more I am finding out the audience and venues have no problem with this.

As a general rule I just don't turn down any gigs. I don't think I've ever turned down a jazz guitar gig. I play for free at open jams too. I just like to play, I'm not picky about the details.

Well actually I turned down an offer to play something called "smooth jazz" one time because the other players were pretty bad and I don't like smooth jazz. It sounded like 2 hours of gritting my teeth and cringing. But as long as it's straight ahead jazz I take every gig unless I'm already booked.

User Info Menu

If it's a prerecorded loop it will be impossible to make tempos match unless you are playing with a metronome to the exact tempo of the loop, and it will sound weird. And for most songs, playing one full form of comping at the beginning of your solo will be too much unless it's a really short form.

For me the easiest way to do it live is to record one cycle of your comping while the horn is soloing. If you mess up just keep the pedal pressed so it erases and try over the next cycle. When done soloing you keep the pedal pressed again, loop erases, ready for the next tune!

User Info Menu

Yeah good point about the tempos. I will have to be very consistent on tempo. Didn't think of that.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by JazzIsGood
    I aint gonna say no to a duo gig. 98% of my gigs are full band, but I think they duo gig can lead to other gigs.

My plan is to live comp the trumpet player (while recording), turn the recorded loop on for my solo, then turn it off and go back to live comping the trumpet player. Then clear it between songs. Then I will go to the next song. Probably will use it for at least 50% of the songs. It's only for my own solos, I am not going to have the trumpet player solo over the loop. I'm going to live comp that so I can interact more.

The more people I have talked to, the more I am finding out the audience and venues have no problem with this.

As a general rule I just don't turn down any gigs. I don't think I've ever turned down a jazz guitar gig. I play for free at open jams too. I just like to play, I'm not picky about the details.

Well actually I turned down an offer to play something called "smooth jazz" one time because the other players were pretty bad and I don't like smooth jazz. It sounded like 2 hours of gritting my teeth and cringing. But as long as it's straight ahead jazz I take every gig unless I'm already booked.
    I live comp my musical partner and record, turn the recorded loop on for my solo, then turn it off and go back to live comping. Then clear it between songs. I also only use it for my solos. I find it affective.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Alter
    If it's a prerecorded loop it will be impossible to make tempos match unless you are playing with a metronome to the exact tempo of the loop, and it will sound weird. And for most songs, playing one full form of comping at the beginning of your solo will be too much unless it's a really short form.

For me the easiest way to do it live is to record one cycle of your comping while the horn is soloing. If you mess up just keep the pedal pressed so it erases and try over the next cycle. When done soloing you keep the pedal pressed again, loop erases, ready for the next tune!
    Exactly

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Alter
    You can use loopers, whatever you need. At the end of the day, what counts is putting out some great musical moments like this.

Applause.